Naturals: how often do you pick/comb your hair out?

NaturalEnigma

I comb my hair once a week after I apply my leave in conditioner. I noticed the longer I wait to comb it the more tangled my hair gets.

CurlsBazillion

My best friend has to have a pick, she really doesn't see how one could have natural hair and live without it. When I preach the damages it causes and how to use conditioner and oil to detangle she quotes Erykah Badu, "you need to pick yo afro daddy, because it's flat on one side". She has 4c hair and she picks it all throughout the day bone dry! BONE DRY! Then she has the nerve to complain about remaining nl/sl for the last 9 years of being natural. Another case of sound advice falling of very deaf ears.

Anakinsmomma

I've only picked it out once do far, and I wasn't a fan.

I comb twice a week on wash days.

If I'm wearing a wash n go, I lift on day two and three, then wash.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Once every two weeks or so with DC to detangle and remove shed hairs. For my hair, removing the sheds are important so it doesn't begin to mat or lock up...

kinkycurlygurl

I gently use a wide toothed comb and a soft brush to spread my sebum down the lenght of my hair and detangle each night. I find gently brushing the ends has almost completely eliminated my SSKs.

SimJam

every 2 weeks I do a thorough detangle while hair is soaked with conditioner with "the tool that shall not be named" tangle teezer Bite me

apart from that its only finger detangling

but when my hair was less than 5 - 6 inches long, I really didint need more than my fingers to detangle

Missigirl

Trying to get the curly girl method down so I am only using fingers while my hair is wet and full of conditioner.

SmilingElephant

When i FIRST went natural....i was SO excited i went out and bought a pick!:lol: I wore a picked out fro for like....a week lol and then I realized that i was actually doing more harm than good.

So now if i want to really see how big my hair is without flat ironing it....i occasionally will do a blowout on my hair with low heat after detangling and deep conditioning. I also use a heat protectant.

I do this like every 3-6 months just because i LOVE how big hair looks on me:yep:

Other than that, my hair gets combed every 2-3 days with my wide tooth comb while soaking wet with conditioner...in the shower:yep:

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

My best friend has to have a pick, she really doesn't see how one could have natural hair and live without it. When I preach the damages it causes and how to use conditioner and oil to detangle she quotes Erykah Badu, "you need to pick yo afro daddy, because it's flat on one side". She has 4c hair and she picks it all throughout the day bone dry! BONE DRY! Then she has the nerve to complain about remaining nl/sl for the last 9 years of being natural. Another case of sound advice falling of very deaf ears.

:lachen: Wow!!!

ScorpioBeauty09

I'm a straightened natural but I haven't used a comb since last September as a way to decrease my breakage with the exception of my de-tangling comb which is very wide-toothed.:look: It helps cut down on breakage and as my hair's gotten longer I've had no need.:yep: