Naturals...I am so afraid...Please help

cmesweet

i'm sorry... i read this post several times and i really don't know what the heck you are talking about. :look: are you mad that we are saying it's okay to wear natural hairstyles in corporate America?

i'm not being smart-elec, i really don't know what message you're trying to get across...

From the post you responded to, I got that it took straight haired African American women to be allowed into the corporate field before naturals could. With their help, we are NOW allowed to go to work in corporate America with our natural texture.

I remember the stories my mother told me about when she grew up in TN, working in White people's houses. Alot of times, in order for Blacks to get a job working in their homes they were told they had to straighten their hair. Of course, it wasn't said as nicely. So I get what the poster was saying, it other people before to gain an acceptance, before we could be fully ourselves in the work place.

lilsparkle825

i just went for it. i have had a relaxer since i was 10 and i haven't seen my real texture since then, much less everyone else, so after about 9 or 10 months of transitioning i washed it, airdried it, and wore it back in a clip (no leave ins or anything; this was pre-LHCF). i got so many compliments that it just solidified my decision to finish out the transition.

NYCQT16

Natural Again
I think it was due in part to this thread so thank you OP...

Today I wore my curly fro out for the first time. It was a lil difficult for me because I felt like everyone was looking at me (but they werent :laugh:)

I noticed that I did get some looks and I was feeling a bit insecure but by the end of the day my uncomfortable feelings faded

I will definitely be doing this again. I really think it's one of the things you just have to get out & do.

ladylibra

From the post you responded to, I got that it took straight haired African American women to be allowed into the corporate field before naturals could. With their help, we are NOW allowed to go to work in corporate America with our natural texture.

I remember the stories my mother told me about when she grew up in TN, working in White people's houses. Alot of times, in order for Blacks to get a job working in their homes they were told they had to straighten their hair. Of course, it wasn't said as nicely. So I get what the poster was saying, it other people before to gain an acceptance, before we could be fully ourselves in the work place.

i understand that, BELIEVE me i do! i hope that poster didn't feel like we were downing women in corporate American who choose to wear their hair straight. :look:

RegaLady

i just posted a response on another board for someone having a similar problem, so i hope it helps you as well:

if you look in my Fotki, i had on my SO's shirt when i first BCd and i just looked at myself in the mirror like, "dang i look like a cute little boy." but i girlied myself up and then i noticed, "wow, with no hair to distract from my face you can see how big my eyes are... how prominent my cheekbones are... what a long, elegant neck i have... and dang i DO have a really nice-shaped head!"

it's definitely a change that takes a minute to get used to. but honestly, i never felt as pretty as i did when i had no hair on my head. it really made me appreciate and love my own looks more than any hairstyle ever did... it gave me a certain confidence. even now, if i have a bad hair day i just tell myself, "well whatever, i know i'm still cute."

now you, OP, have more hair to deal with than i did. you have an opportunity to STYLE your hair and look mad fly. whatever style you decide on, rock it like you own it and i bet you will be fabulous. :yep:

That is great! This is also how I feel. Although, I am not fully natural yet, I do have short hair. Let me tell you, if you believe, you can fool anyone in believing, also. I wish I felt beauty comes in one particular feature, but I don't. If you walk and know you are beautiful, then IT WILL SHOW! It does take some adjustment. And sometimes society has us believe that we should not being walking around with our own hair. It's sad.:nono: But I promise you, once you accept your beauty, others WILL see it too.
Another girl said to just do it. I agree. Be ready for looks and snares. Then, get over it! You will feel alot better.

aja1121

I was afraid, so I got braids to get me past that awkward stage and as soon as I took them out, I wore twistouts everyday.