NATURALS ON TV!!! NATURAL HAIR REVOLUTION!!!

SouthernTease

Is it just me or are there a lot more naturals on TV?
Even Halle, Beyonce, Nia Long are rocking waves/curls
... granted it's not their real hair, but could curly/wavy hair
be in effect. If you look at commercials,
most all Black women featured are sporting their natural hair.
Is this the beginning of the NATURAL HAIR REVOLUTION????

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
I was just noticing this. It seems like every commercial uses an actress/model with natural hair. Even in advertisements and signs in stores.

winterinatl

All natural!
I've been noticing for a long time black actresses in commercials always are rocking some natural looking style, the straight bob is becoming rare. It's interesting to me.

Twisties

I have noticed this trend for the last 5 years or so. I guess they want you to know it is truly "ethnic"...

Most have twists, locs or twist-out afros it seems. Very cute.

foxxymami

Okay!!

I thought it was just me! I mentioned this to my SO and he told me I probably started noticing naturals because I'm natural now. Well glad to know my eyes aren't deceiving me! :up:

SkinnyMocah

There is a commercial running for the Bahamas or something with a woman wearing a natural hair style that I was very surprised to see on tv. It's a large auburn "fro" kind of but it just looks like puffy twists.

Leshia

I actually took notice of this in one of my Shape or Fitness magazines! It makes me very proud of the versatility of our hair.

schipperchow1

Yes, there does tend to be a lot more "natural" 3b-4a looking hair in commercials, but not so much in the television shows. I think the advertisers want to distinguish b/w AA ethnic & other/hispanic/mixed ethnicities.:ohwell:

Hair Iam

I have noticed this over the past 3 yrs. I pray we see more on TV shows and on the big screen. I mean the real thing not wigs. :grin:

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
You know ... I thought it was just me too. I thought maybe I notice naturals more because I'm currnetly in my pursuit of "naturaldom". You know how when you buy a new car that you think nobody has, then notice that EVERYBODY has it?

Glad to see it's not just me though.

Qt girl

I've noticed this for a while. I think it may be linked to the fact that people with naturally straight hair are always fascinated with 3c/4a/b hair. My white friends never understand why I would relax my hair. My roomate freshman year tried to convince me to cut off all my relaxed hair and have a TWA. It's nice to see others appreciating the texture of our hair. Sometimes I think that straight-haired people appreciate kinky-curly hair more than we do. I guess everyone has a little hair envy.

Qt girl

I've noticed this for a while. I think it may be linked to the fact that people with naturally straight hair are always fascinated with 3c/4a/b hair. My white friends never understand why I would relax my hair. My roomate freshman year tried to convince me to cut off all my relaxed hair and have a TWA. It's nice to see others appreciating the texture of our hair. Sometimes I think that people appreciate kinky-curly hair more than we do. I guess everyone has a little hair envy.

Radianthealth

I saw something about Marketing Firms purposely using naturals in advertising campaigns because both White and Black consumers prefer to see black women with natural hair.

This was surprising to me. There is something underlying in this...I am just to tired to figure it out tonight

naijamerican

I've noticed this for a while. I think it may be linked to the fact that people with naturally straight hair are always fascinated with 3c/4a/b hair. My white friends never understand why I would relax my hair. My roomate freshman year tried to convince me to cut off all my relaxed hair and have a TWA. It's nice to see others appreciating the texture of our hair. Sometimes I think that people appreciate kinky-curly hair more than we do. I guess everyone has a little hair envy.

I agree. I've been rocking a fro all week and you should see how people respond to it! I'm thinking of getting a relaxer (just want a change) and none of my friends want me to.

trimbride said:
I saw something about Marketing Firms purposely using naturals in advertising campaigns because both White and Black consumers prefer to see black women with natural hair.

This was surprising to me. There is something underlying in this...I am just to tired to figure it out tonight

Trim, I'm not surprised by this at all. When I got a relaxer in 8th grade, it was a White boy who made it known that he thought I was trying to be White. I think that even White people are uncomfortable with seeing Black people with straight hair. Maybe it reminds them of the role they played in conditioning our perceptions of beauty?

Hmmmm...:scratchch

NAH!! :p

PS: I just have to add so that no one will get the wrong idea: I don't mean to suggest that getting a relaxer is synonymous with embracing Whitehood. I don't want to offend anyone. :sad:

SouthernTease

I am in Advertising... this is interesting, but so true.
I think I knew that in the back of my mind...
We (consumers) like Black people to look Black
and White people to look White...
it is true...

bravenewgirl87

Is it just me or are there a lot more naturals on TV?
Even Halle, Beyonce, Nia Long are rocking waves/curls
... granted it's not their real hair, but could curly/wavy hair
be in effect. If you look at commercials,
most all Black women featured are sporting their natural hair.
Is this the beginning of the NATURAL HAIR REVOLUTION????

Weaves...:nono::ohwell: Unfortunately.