Naturals!! question about pressing

FrizzMizz

I want to get my hair pressed but the hairdresser who was recommended to me by a fellow natural don't use a ceramic flat iron, such as Chi. She still uses the stove type ones. Is this reason to find another hairdresser but would you still proceed with caution? I know the ceramic irons are supposed to be less harsh on the hair and I'm definitely concerned about damage. What do you think?

See this is the reason why I always did my own hair when I was relaxed. But at this point it's not that cost effective to buy a whole salon just to straighten my hair once. :look:

Since you are concerned I would say don't do it. I have pressed my hair with the regular old pressing comb used on the stove for years, and I have not noticed any damage to my hair, it still appears to be healthy. Right now I am not using heat at all though, because although I have not noticed any damage I know it is not good. Go with your gut feeling.

I wouldn't do it. Years ago before I knew that ceramic irons existed, I got my hair pressed with the regular pressing combs, everything was going well until a small area got burned off down to about two inches. From everything that I have found out later, the temperature control is the problem with the regular combs. Burned off hair only needed to happen once for me to have a spot of short hair that took time to catch up with the rest. Ceramic irons are better with temperature control.

Hey Hair twin (where have you been?):wave:Please don't:nono: Those pressing comb stoves can be murder on your tresses. I would opt for the ceramic flat irons. I had some bad experiences with pressing combs since going back natural.

I agree with everyone else, I would use the ceramic. I have been getting my hair pressed for many years, and thankfully have never had any damage. But there is always a chance that the iron could be too hot and burn your hair. I have decided to lay off the pressing for a while and bought a ceramic iron so I can wear my hair straight if I want without depending on a stylist. I haven't pressed since November.

Thank You all for the responses.

Bublnbrnsuga- I remembered your fiasco with pressing. I'm glad everything worked out for you. I might break down and purchase the iron myself, then I don't have to worry about other folks jacking me.

Sorry to hijack. I remember a while back when I was transitioning. Some of the members were advising me not to press my hair. Why? From looking at the pics of many natural heads it seems that many of you do not press your hair. I got my hair pressed and it looks good with an old fashion stove pressing comb. My hair feels great. My concern is that if I do it every two weeks will it mess up my hair. My hair looked so healthy when I took out the sewn in weave and I don't want to mess it up.

I have a ceramic iron. Are you suggesting that instead of hot combing your hair to blow dry and follow up with a ceramic iron.

DO NOT USE THOSE HOT THINGS!! Did you read about MY pressing disaster. I STILL have straight parts in my hair. You don't need many products to do it yourself. I just posted pics of my pressed hair in my March 2005 album. All I used was a blow drier, some wild growth oil, and a gold n hot flat iron. Take it from someone who knows...That heat will damage your hair beyond return! I am scared of ALL heat now! It's awful..

Okay, mommy. I will step away slowly from the hot comb. Thanks for replying. I will try the blow sryer and flat iron. I have done it in the past but my roots were so puffy before. It didn't look good.

naptrl said:
DO NOT USE THOSE HOT THINGS!! Did you read about MY pressing disaster. I STILL have straight parts in my hair. You don't need many products to do it yourself. I just posted pics of my pressed hair in my March 2005 album. All I used was a blow drier, some wild growth oil, and a gold n hot flat iron. Take it from someone who knows...That heat will damage your hair beyond return! I am scared of ALL heat now! It's awful..

sbaker said:
Okay, mommy. I will step away slowly from the hot comb. Thanks for replying. I will try the blow sryer and flat iron. I have done it in the past but my roots were so puffy before. It didn't look good.

hahahaha!! Girl, I'm sorry, but I didn't go natural to have straight hair. I'm still "salty" with that hair dresser! I saw her last night at church and I had to pray!! :) haha

Well, anyway make sure that you put the WGO down to the roots and blowdry it as straight as you can. That helped me.

I'm going to be the lone dissenter. My last press (first time being pressed straight since being natural) was done with the marcel irons. However it came from a highly recommended stylist who presses the natural hair of a friend (her hair is past bra strap length and healthy). If its someone who is highly recommended, really knows what they are doing, uses good products, works with natural hair often, and uses a minimal amount of heat I'd go for it. Otherwise no way would I let them use heat on my hair. The stylist who pressed my hair twisted in big twists, put me under the dryer, and gently pressed my hair with the minimal heat. The key thing with her also was that she really loves working with natural hair.

I received no damage once I washed to return to curly but my pressed hair was swinging, shiny and stayed straight for 2 weeks (I wrapped it every night and used satin rollers).

Good luck whatever your decision :)

Just be careful, have a look in my december and January albums to see my hair pressed, and the consequences.

sbaker said:
Guapa- What happened exactly? I saw the strands but how did it happen? Was too much heat applied?

Yes. I went to the hairdressers, and she's used the irons. You can see how straight it was. Then when wash time came, certain parts would go back. I tried babying it for a while, then had to turn to the scissors............. :mad:

I know there are people who use them without any problems, I'm just saying be careful, and understand it could happen.

Guapa1 said:
Yes. I went to the hairdressers, and she's used the irons. You can see how straight it was. Then when wash time came, certain parts would go back. I tried babying it for a while, then had to turn to the scissors............. :mad:

I know there are people who use them without any problems, I'm just saying be careful, and understand it could happen.
see what I'm talkin bout sbaker!! Girl, they'll mess ya up!

Back