Naturals that NEVER straighten...why not?

What is/are your reason (s) for not straightening your hair?

• I'm afraid of heat damage

Votes: 184 60.9%
  • I don't have the time

Votes: 82 27.2%
  • I prefer my hair curly

Votes: 143 47.4%
  • I don't know/Other....

Votes: 36 11.9%
  • I'm afraid of the hot tools of torture...lol

Votes: 62 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fyb87

I use to straighten my hair all the time and at the time I loved it. Now, I like it better curly. It not only makes me look younger, but I don't look like everyone else! I love being different. Especially from all of my friends! I get noticed more and guys love to stick their hands in it. Even complete strangers! Makes me feel sexy!!

Nelli04

I still straighten, but not nearly as much. I plan to only straighten 3x a year now. In the last 7 years of being natural I went from getting my hair pressed/ flat ironed at the shop every 2-3 weeks to now only 3x a year and I am the one who is flat ironing my hair.

I also suffered major heat damage...I'll say half my length is bone straight from heat damage...so toning down the heat is a must if I want to keep my hair. Plus I love doing natural styles and experimenting with new ones.

Last edited:

nubiennze

My hair has told me on numerous occasions that it prefers not to be straightened. Even when I ignore it, it protests by reverting before I even finish.

I'm starting to learn to listen to it.

winona

The 2 times I decided to get straighten I got heat damage and I had to cut about 3in off the right side and 1-2in off the left last year:( So I figure I dont do it myself it aint getting done. I AM SUPER LAZY so I guess it wont get done

SherylsTresses

I'm actually a long term transitioner. However, I don't feel the urge to flat iron for length checks anymore. I will only use heat when DH asks to see my hair. I am really interested in the the two-strand buns and two-strand rodsets for now.

LilMissRed

Not interested because Im afraid of what the heat may do :perplexed plus right now.. I'm REALLY (and I mean REALLY) enjoying my hair as is

Last edited:

zzirvingj

I'm actually a long term transitioner. However, I don't feel the urge to flat iron for length checks anymore. I will only use heat when DH asks to see my hair. I am really interested in the the two-strand buns and two-strand rodsets for now.

OT: Two-strand buns? What is that and where can I see pics :grin:

Diva_Esq

I chose "I like my hair curly" & "I'm afraid of heat damage." Another reason is that it is summer and humid in Nebraska and that would be HUSTLIN' BACKWARDS to fight to keep straight hair. In the fall & winter, I will straighten more. Also, I am waiting until my length comes back.

MizzBrit

i used to..got heat damaged..and im never looking in heat's way again.my hair is thriving now that i stopped using it..its been over a year and some months. plus i dnt like the straight look on me, if i wanted straight..i would opt for a sew in or wig.

MsLizziA

Re: Natural that NEVER straighten...why not?

I straighten maybe once a year - at the most.
I don't have the energy... :)

If it was harmless, I would go to a salon and have it done more often, but I'm afraid of the heat damage.

This!!! I have to hype myself up for days to straighten my hair

Sapphire_chic

The process is too long and I like to wash my hair too often for it to be worthwhile most weeks

sorry misread the post I thought you meant hardly ever lol I do straighten my hair 3-4 times a year

Last edited:

detroitdiva

For me, its a waste of time and money. My hair does not stay straight for long. I only plan to straighten my hair every 6 months or less, just for a length check. Other than that, its a very hard style to maintain.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I recently became natural, but I don't plan on straightening because I'm scared of the heat damage. Moreover, i think curly hair looks better on me either way :yep:

naturalgyrl5199

Everytime I tell myself I'll do it... I end up not doing it. Mostly for lack of time....The longer it gets it just takes FOREVER!

Secondly, heat damage. Once you experience heat damage, you're never the same.....So I have learned to live curly!

PrincesscurlyQ<3

i straighten now only once a month if even that to check my length, but i love my curls now&playing in them. once my hair gets longer i plan to do a bkt. its easier than flat ironing, and only lasts 3 months so i won't stay straight forever, and it would make my strands stronger.

kaykaybobay

I really do not for various reasons 1. I do not do a good job at it 2) time consuming!
3) I get bored and give up in the process and 4) it just looks terrible afterwards I have a flat head I rather have some puff. My hair is thick in the natural state but thin when flat ironed.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Wow ... when I first replied in this thread, I was still transitioning. I've been natural for going on two years now. Funny how time flies. :grin:

To finally answer the question, I don't like to straighten my hair because I'm prone to getting heat damage easily. I try to only straighten 2-3 times a year max.

Loves Harmony

Im a little scared to straighten my hair. The last time i let someone straighten my hair it never revert back. Plus the last time i did my husband told me it didnt look right and go ahead in rewash my hair. So its no point because it wouldnt last long. I would not mind getting a rollerset though. Im so happy with my hair right now.

lovegymnasts

Right now, it doesn't seem worth the effort. That's a lot of work to just wear my hair straight for a week.
I also have a deep fear and probably irrational worry that I will be disappointed by the length.
I will probably straighten when I pull my hair and it reaches my butt. The soonest I would even entertain the thought would be mid-back.

Naturallista

It's been a progression for me...

I cut my hair from bsl to shoulder (straighten) back in October when I found copius amounts of heat damage. So, then after that I was like, "oh haellllll to the naw, ain't no heat getting anywhere near my hair evah again!".....I was real paranoid for a while :look:

Anyway, after I got over that and decided to straighten again, I came to the conclusion that if I did straighten my hair, it would not last more than one day because I work out 5 days a week and cowash at least as much. Decision- not enough return on my investment.

After awhile, I got the itch again. But, when I sat down and really thought about it, I realized something.....I LIKE MY HAIR CURLY BETTER! My hair straight is well, how can I say this....very Rashida Jones like....and that is NOT a dig at her. Her hair looks very cute on her, but me....not so much.

So, basically it's easier, looks better, and less chance of damage.

All is right with the world :yep: