Naturals that NEVER straighten...why not?

What is/are your reason (s) for not straightening your hair?

• I'm afraid of heat damage

Votes: 184 60.9%
  • I don't have the time

Votes: 82 27.2%
  • I prefer my hair curly

Votes: 143 47.4%
  • I don't know/Other....

Votes: 36 11.9%
  • I'm afraid of the hot tools of torture...lol

Votes: 62 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Qetesh

the more i wear my hair natural the less i like it straight. I jus miss its curls. also if its hot out or a sweat to much its a wrap for blown out hair anyway. why waste the time and hassle??

wit that being said this winter i do plan to straighten it again alot because I like to wash my hair too much when its natural and airdrying isnt as possible also. (cold wind etc.)

I haven't straightened since I BC'd, which is only 3 months ago (dang, time flies).
My number one reason for going natural was, and still is, length. So, once I reach my desired length, or when I feel it is long enough to wear straight, I will straighten it, either Dominican blow out or flatiron. I think I have enough knowledge form this board to avoid too much damage. Besides, I wanted length, not necessarily curls.
As long I can rock long straightened hair I don't care too much about the curls.
But until I reach my desired length, I will rock the fro!

msa

1. I absolutely LOVE my natural hair. Fits me perfectly. Anything else looks weird.

2. Heat appliances aren't natural and I'm an all natural natural.

3. My hair didn't grow out my scalp straight and trying to get it to do something it doesn't naturally do is too much work and stresses my hair out unnecessarily.

TeaKyoo

Are there any naturals in here that never straighten? Why not? Lately I've been losing the desire to straighten my hair. It has always been my plan to straighten once in a while to do length checks but now I have no desire to do so. Any other ladies feel the same way.

I did my BC 2001 around May I think. I haven't straighten my hair at all since my last relaxer in 2000. Length check? :lachen: Yeah right.

My kinky curly coily hair is all about me and being true myself. I am napptural grrl to my heart. Don't Gild the Lily kinda stuff ya know?

I was and I still am in the mindset that straighten is damaging to the hair. I am scared of losing my curl pattern and making my hair weak. However, I am going to venture out and do a rollerset cuz I am curious. But blow outs, flat iron, pressing etc nope I will skip all that.

Natural hair is dry hair regardless so I think that if I skip the heat I am maintaining some of its strength and health. I want to avoid as much damage as I can.

Now I am on my hair growth kick I am thinking what does that mean with all this shrinkage. I will do a stretch check to see if I am meeting goals or a strand test with a ruler.

TQ

Lucky's Mom

1. I absolutely LOVE my natural hair. Fits me perfectly. Anything else looks weird.

2. Heat appliances aren't natural and I'm an all natural natural.

3. My hair didn't grow out my scalp straight and trying to get it to do something it doesn't naturally do is too much work and stresses my hair out unnecessarily.

Trust me folks - my baby sis looks FLY with her coils!!!!

For me.... I must say it is a RARE occasion now... It is - a lot of trouble now..So - using henna and other stuff to loosen curls are alot easier..... I have all the tools now - But - man.... I just cannot do the flat iron thing soo much....once or twice a year...My hair is too long to be messin' with it. We are talking HOURS to flat iron....

HOWEVER - when the FHI arrives.... I am Testin' that sucka!!!

trj1922

I am afraid of heat damage and I prefer my hair curly. Texture has been my savior since my hair has thinned so much. When it is straight, it is unacceptably flat and see-through. The uber-curl gives the illusion that I actually have a little hair left. LOL

msa

Trust me folks - my baby sis looks FLY with her coils!!!!

For me.... I must say it is a RARE occasion now... It is - a lot of trouble now..So - using henna and other stuff to loosen curls are alot easier..... I have all the tools now - But - man.... I just cannot do the flat iron thing soo much....once or twice a year...My hair is too long to be messin' with it. We are talking HOURS to flat iron....

HOWEVER - when the FHI arrives.... I am Testin' that sucka!!!

Thank you love! :blowkiss:

BillsBackerz67

I used to be anti heat up until a few months ago....but as my hair gets longer wearing it curly is actually harming more than it is helping. Plus I now know how to get my hair very straight without using a flat iron or blowdryer...so Im not frying my hair at all :yep:

discobiscuits

i'm afraid of heat damage. i was hot tool of torturing my hair weekly to daily in september and i have heat damage to the front and crown area and the tendril hair at my right ear. no matter what that hair is permanently straight and will not curl. the part near my ear is corkscrew at the root and corkscrew at the end but the middle is stick straight. i hate it. i will only flat iron or press for trims and length comparisons and only by my stylist. IF i actually allow heat on my hair again.

quasimodi

I never staighten for a couple reasons.

1. I have these vivid, scary memories of sitting on a phonebook in the
chair of a beautifican at a beauty salon with heat passing so
close to my neck, I was sure that I was about to get burned and the smell
of burned hair and hair grease lingering in the air.

2. Even if I wanted to, I don't really have the time to straighten. It's easier to just leave my kinky curls as they are or wrap my hair in a colorful and stylish head wrap (protective style for the winter, which seems to be working) :grin: and go on about my business.

3. I really think I look better with my natural hair texture. Truth be told, I keep my hair covered a lot just so I won't be tempted to touch it. I love the way it feels, the way it smells after I apply some Qhemet Biologics or some Oyin or a little tui oil, the way it sort of fans out from my face, how it blows in the wind....

...Hmmm. I think I'm going to do a deep conditioner now followed by a soothing scalp massage. :rolleyes:

Pooks

I use heat sparingly, and usually only straighten once or twice a year. I haven't done it myself yet, but here's why I'm ultra cautious about letting hairdressers do it. See below and say it with me ladies... 'heat damage'

oooop2

I used to be anti heat up until a few months ago....but as my hair gets longer wearing it curly is actually harming more than it is helping. Plus I now know how to get my hair very straight without using a flat iron or blowdryer...so Im not frying my hair at all :yep:

How??? I'm interested in knowing.

TIA

PhiLee

I use heat sparingly, and usually only straighten once or twice a year. I haven't done it myself yet, but here's why I'm ultra cautious about letting hairdressers do it. See below and say it with me ladies... 'heat damage'

Oh, no! :nono:

I have been getting the itch to straighten, but am thinking twice now. My hair is so fine anyways...

loulou82

I've yet to straighten my hair since the BC and don't plan on doing it until after I reach full APL so I can also get decent trim. I know what my hair looks like straightened and the length it's at right now is not spectacular. But I've never been APL before and want to see it straight for that occasion.

jada1111

I don't straighten, because I don't want to.

I was relaxed for half of my life, because I didn't know how to deal with my natural hair texture nor did I see the beauty in it at the time. I do now.

If I want straight hair I'll get a weave or a wig.

kurlybella

i've recently realized that i just can't be bothered.
i straightened my hair last year three times. early spring, summer for length check which i posted about on here and in dec for christmas.

i only kept my hair straight for two days max each time.

it's almost like i don't know what to do with all my hair anymore. i've wanted long hair all my life and now that i have it somewhat (apl), i wear it in a state where it looks short! :lachen:

i don't care though, my hair is doing fine.

as soon as i straighten my hair i want to wet it so it reverts back.

man, had i known i'd be so in love with my natural hair, i would have gone natural a lot earlier! :yep:

i'd planned on straightening in june or july of this year. i highly doubt that is going to be happening. :nono:

i'll never say never because i do need a trim - so a LIGHT BLOW out maybe?? but if i ever want super straight hair, out comes the lace front for now.

Last edited:

silvergirl

this time around, i have yet to straighten my hair, probably because i usually end up just washing it out after a day. straight hair is nice once in a while, but i like my curls.

nappi

i never straighten because i really just cant be bothered

and i prefer my nappy hair

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
Not only am I afraid of heat damage but I simply have no desire to. I love my hair in its kinky state.

NappyMD

I blow dried my hair last week and had the flat iron out. I was pleased by the length, but afterwards it was like :ohwell:. Boring! I didn't even get to the flat iron, didn't take pics, and spent the week missing my curls/twists cause I didn't want to "waste" my potential heat damage. Only problem is, my hair seems happier and moister after a soft blow dry. :nono:

Pooks

Interesting... my hair always looks great after a (quite hot, quite straight) blow dry, but my hair and SCALP is a mess 2/3 days later. Soft/lo heat blowdrying has almost no effect on my hair - all it really yields is many many broken fried ends so in terms of stretching freshly washed hair, I am always better off chinee bumping aka bantu knotting and then doing some big cornrows. I need to re-read this thread, I've heat-abused my hair in the last couple of months.

Pooks

I have now cut these ends off and I'm so upset I was forced to have to do that - I will not be so laidback when having my hair heat-styled in the future :nono:. The press n curl that caused this was before I started my HHJ though...

almond eyes

My mother like Pink Skates is the queen of the pressing comb and has been pressing for decades. I do not have the fears about heat but I agree that if one cannot do the proper prep and techniques do not bother. I myself do not use heat not because of fear of heat damage but mostly because I do not have the time to do the prep work and also because I have that fine hair that swells in any humidity and heat.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Aviah

I''m trying to work down to straightening 1x per year. I used to do ti about every two months but then realized susccesively the curls loosening and becoming damaged. Now I still have straight ends that when in a fro can be fluffed and airdired to blend, but I don't like it. Don't wanna risk it as often. When I do flat iron in future, it will be for a special event (usually birthday/Christmas), it will be stretched on rollers first, doused in heat protectant, then flat ironed on the lowest heat necessary. I too am losing the desire for straight hair gradually.

Aviah

SHARE THE INFO PLEASE!!!:grin:

Fine 4s

You should only fear heat damage if you plan on abusing the heat and not properly preparing your hair for the heated tools. Heat can be used in moderation without damaging the hair.

When you say 'preparing your hair' what do you do to prepare?
I made sure I got a protein treatment before and for a few weeks prior to my visit I made sure to DC often (one time, twice in one week- or 7 days).
Is there more I could do? Mind you, this was for a light blow dry...