Naturals that NEVER straighten...why not?

What is/are your reason (s) for not straightening your hair?

• I'm afraid of heat damage

Votes: 184 60.9%
  • I don't have the time

Votes: 82 27.2%
  • I prefer my hair curly

Votes: 143 47.4%
  • I don't know/Other....

Votes: 36 11.9%
  • I'm afraid of the hot tools of torture...lol

Votes: 62 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fine 4s

I''m trying to work down to straightening 1x per year. I used to do ti about every two months but then realized susccesively the curls loosening and becoming damaged. Now I still have straight ends that when in a fro can be fluffed and airdired to blend, but I don't like it. Don't wanna risk it as often. When I do flat iron in future, it will be for a special event (usually birthday/Christmas), it will be stretched on rollers first, doused in heat protectant, then flat ironed on the lowest heat necessary. I too am losing the desire for straight hair gradually.

Amen!
I mostly enjoyed my blow out though....then again, for not straightening it after 2.5 years, I wasn't THAT crazy about it. I did miss my naps after the 2nd day or so...

Fine 4s

i'm afraid of heat damage. i was hot tool of torturing my hair weekly to daily in september and i have heat damage to the front and crown area and the tendril hair at my right ear. no matter what that hair is permanently straight and will not curl. the part near my ear is corkscrew at the root and corkscrew at the end but the middle is stick straight. i hate it. i will only flat iron or press for trims and length comparisons and only by my stylist. IF i actually allow heat on my hair again.

You know, I think I would want to straighten my hair myself. I saw my stylist flat ironing someone's hair with a marcel stove and that smoke just bothers me wayyyyyyyyyy too much. I mean imagine having cut out heat like i did and then after ONE lil' visit BAM! stick straight hair (and less elasticity=more breakage). I think I'd cry....

Fine 4s

Interesting... my hair always looks great after a (quite hot, quite straight) blow dry, but my hair and SCALP is a mess 2/3 days later. Soft/lo heat blowdrying has almost no effect on my hair - all it really yields is many many broken fried ends so in terms of stretching freshly washed hair, I am always better off chinee bumping aka bantu knotting and then doing some big cornrows. I need to re-read this thread, I've heat-abused my hair in the last couple of months.

OK-
last response....
I too noticed that my scalp was itchier than when I wash, twist or style my natural hair. What's that about? Also, sad to say, I saw more broken ends as I moisturized with shea butter. What's THAT about too? My ends are heat damaged (not by the blowout but from past years of not caring for my hair).

Ozma

The last time I straightened was Christmas 2008. I don't think I'll straighten again because I have found my routine and I am retaining length now. I don't want to set myself back with heat damage for a day or two of straight hair. I love my curl pattern and don't want to lose it.:yep:

Urban

Lol, I pretty much ticked them all. I've never straightened ever since I went natural ... about 3 years ago I think. I love my curly texture, but I'm kinda apprehensive about potential heat damage. I also can't be bothered really.

beans08

I haven't straightened since I BC's a couple of years ago. My hair is pretty thin, and when it's coily it looks nice and full. My hair looks limp and sad when it's straight, which is one of the many reasons I stopped relaxing.

PinkSkates

My mother like Pink Skates is the queen of the pressing comb and has been pressing for decades. I do not have the fears about heat but I agree that if one cannot do the proper prep and techniques do not bother. I myself do not use heat not because of fear of heat damage but mostly because I do not have the time to do the prep work and also because I have that fine hair that swells in any humidity and heat.

Best,
Almond Eyes
Exactly, you said it all right there! If you are hair lazy and not going to bother doing all the prep work...then you should fear and stay away from the heat!

When you say 'preparing your hair' what do you do to prepare?
I made sure I got a protein treatment before and for a few weeks prior to my visit I made sure to DC often (one time, twice in one week- or 7 days).
Is there more I could do? Mind you, this was for a light blow dry...

Preparing your natural hair for heat straightening involves:
1. Really knowing your hair and how much heat it takes to straighten it.
2. knowing that your hair has a good balance of moisture/protein.
3. knowing that your hair ends are very healthy. If they are dry, brittle and breaking, then you have not prepped your hair/and or you are using too much heat.
4. knowing exactly what temperature your heated appliances should be before putting that heated tool in your hair.
5. being sure you are using quality heat-protecting products...and not some tube of grease garbage product.
5. making sure you have your technique and your timing down to a science so to be sure your hair is getting an even distribution of heat all over your head.

Hairsofab

1. It takes too much time. 2. My hair never gets straight straight to the point where I can where it in a style. I can only pull it back in a ponytail.

t23luvgod

if i could straighten my hair w/o heat damage and do it in less than 1 hour, i would but since i cant i'll just straighten it every once and a while for length and nice outtings.

metro_qt

I don't straighten because it takes too much time, and it never gets super straight unless i go to a stylist... then i fear too much heat...

msa

Preparing your natural hair for heat straightening involves:
1. Really knowing your hair and how much heat it takes to straighten it.
2. knowing that your hair has a good balance of moisture/protein.
3. knowing that your hair ends are very healthy. If they are dry, brittle and breaking, then you have not prepped your hair/and or you are using too much heat.
4. knowing exactly what temperature your heated appliances should be before putting that heated tool in your hair.
5. being sure you are using quality heat-protecting products...and not some tube of grease garbage product.
5. making sure you have your technique and your timing down to a science so to be sure your hair is getting an even distribution of heat all over your head.

See all that is why I don't straighten. That is entirely too much work and I would jack my hair up.

nappy85

I started this year with the intention of only straightening/using heat once this year for length retention. Now, I think I may only straighten once or twice per year because I feel that my curly hair frames my face better and it's much easier to deal with (I don't have to spend a long time using heat on my hair, I can't co-wash daily or co-wash after exercising, etc...). I used to use heat when I was getting fed up with my hair. Now since I understand my hair better, I really don’t have to use heat. Also, it’s better for the health of my hair.

nysister

I tried flat ironing a bit last month. I took one look in the mirror and freaked. I adore my coils and curls. As it gets longer I might do so here and there just for a style change, but for now, I'm really happy just the way I am. It's so nice not to look like the majority.

ladytee2

The first thing that came to mind when I read this post was Im just lazy. But the more I think about it I have come to like my curls much better than straight hair flat on my head. My hair cant handle any humidity. It reverts when I think humidity.

Last edited:

BARCA

I actually prefer my hair straight, but my hair doesn't stay straight without a relaxer. 1% humidity and it's over.

Netta1

I am afraid to straighten..I don't want heat damage...

Every once in a while I think about at least blow drying it, seriously...I may start the process but never finish....

I am courious at how long my hair really is...the world may never know??

My hair surprizingly gets pretty straight after I take down my braids.. so I guess thats enough for me??

When my hair is not braided I usally let it shrink up 100%....

I don't think I have time to straighten AND I could only do bone straight if it was a wig and not my real hair...

My preference (for my own natural hair) is big wild hair not silky straight hair

Last edited:

Netta1

Oh and I almost forgot, I went to a shop almost two years ago and I let a mall vender person flat iron a less then 1" section of my hair. My husband thought I was crazy...he loves nappy hair..

I can remember I was soooooo worried about that tiny section of hair..when I got home I washed the section twice. In the first wash the section of hair reverted to type 3ish, in the second rinsing it came back "home" to the usual type 4 something.. It was a relief.

An interesting experience indeed...

Mook's hair

I'm not in the Never category, but I rarely straighten.
My reason -
It has been a waste of time on many occasions. my hair sucks the moisture out of the air and poofs within an hour. So what's the use of risking heat damage for a straight style that will vanish and cause me to have to restyle anyway.

CurliDiva

I haven't straighten my hair since joining LHCF!:rolleyes: Sometimes I have to "remind' myself that my hair growing longer because of bigtime SHRINKAGE.

I guess I will WOW myself when I finally do straighten. :spinning: I also don't expect it to be easy, but with all the tips about banding, flat irons, and products like moisture block and chi, I'm sure that it can be done......

KynniB

I use heat sometimes but not often. Probably once every few months. I like my hair better curly plus im afraid of damage and parts of my hair going permanently straight.

Digital Tempest

Mainly, I'm afraid of heat damage. I think about it, and then, I imagine if I damaged my hair and lost all my progress from the last two years. I would be devastated. Secondly, I prefer my hair curly anyway. :) I don't have the time to do it anyway, and I don't want to go to a salon, if I ever should decide to straighten.

chebaby

i've only been natural for three months but i dont think i will be flat ironing often at all. maybe once a year to trim and see progress.

RubyWoo

I have no desire for straight hair. I think I look better w/my natural hair. If I ever I want straight hair, then I'll get a weave.