Naturals/Transitioners Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicChic

What about a seperate forum for Naturals and Transitioners? I like to search through all of the different topics in the hair forum but a seperate one just for naturals would be nice.

Anyone else like this idea??

gemini051987

I think this is a great idea. We should have forums that are made for naturals. I am natural myself. I want to know what other women that are natural are doing to take care of their hair so that I can relate. If anyone else feels like this, spread the word that we need a forum for naturals and transitioners.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Exactly what I was thinking, I would hate for what I hear goes on on other boards to start in these neck of the woods.
JCoily said:
I peacefully dissent.

I do not like the idea of a segregated board.

JMO

ClassicChic

I am not trying to start any commotion. Its just that like when I use to relax I could literally click on any thread in the hair forum to learn something new. Being natural it takes more searching and when I do that I have to look for something specific so that I could use the search feature.

I do see what you mean. I do not want it to be relaxed vs. natural. No way.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I don't know if your aware of the Transitioners thread, (or if it still exist) but it has alot of good info their, I read it from time to time even though I haven't transitioned just yet. HTH's
Cherokee said:
I am not trying to start any commotion. Its just that like when I use to relax I could literally click on any thread in the hair forum to learn something new. Being natural it takes more searching and when I do that I have to look for something specific so that I could use the search feature.

I do see what you mean. I do not want it to be relaxed vs. natural. No way.

PaperClip

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY support the proposal of a Naturals/Transitioners Forum, for several reasons:

1. It would serve as a very useful repository for topics, issues, and concerns specifically relating to those who are natural or transitioning.

2. The board would be more efficient and useful for my time instead of having to do searches that are less than effective because they are diluted with information for relaxed individuals.

3. It would allow for the free exchange and expression of ideas relating to natural hair. Especially for the transitioner like me, there are mental and emotional challenges that can be more intense when conversations involve other perspectives that are not conducive to my present hair journey.

4. With regard to the point about segregation, I would kindly respond by saying that I'm learning that desegregation may have caused more harm than good and that some segregation can have some benefits, esp. when all factors are equal. Segregation is different from discrimination in that discrimination blocks access. Nobody is talking about blocking access to any part of the board. It would be the individual's choice.

For these reasons, I support the formation of a naturals/transitioners hair care board for women of color.

Thanks for this opportunity to share my thoughts.

MissMarie

***sigh***
I think it could be helpful too.
Sometimes I'm looking for topics specifically about natural/ transitioning issues and it can be difficult to sort through all the posts to find what I'm looking for. I also find the transitioners support thread confusing to follow at times.

I like reading through the topics on the hair care board and will continue to do so regardless.

Country gal

I have gotten along very well here without a natural forum. I like look at the different topics in the hair topic. I learn lots of useful advice from relaxed heads too.

RainbowCurls

I don't think it's a good idea.

The good thing about this forum is that everyone with all types of hair can discuss things together.

There's Nappturality and NC for naturals, and BHM has separate boards for relaxed/natural/different hair styles etc.

PaperClip

PerfectDoak said:
There's Nappturality and NC for naturals, and BHM has separate boards for relaxed/natural/different hair styles etc.

Wow... um... If more people felt like this, there might be fewer paid subscriptions. I hope this board's owners don't feel this way.... Sigh.... this sentiment doesn't make me feel so welcome to this forum.... Quite unfortunate.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
In the interest of keeping things friendly.....

LHCF has it's own culture and vibe which differs from other boards. Those of us who went through the process of transitioning and ultimately going natural and did so with the assistance of THIS board appreciate and want to maintain that culture and vibe.

As for segregation being a good thing, I respectfully disagree. When you slap a label whether it be 'natural section', 'type 4 section', 'relaxer section', 'transitioner section' or what have you, it tends to result in people who don't fall into those categories sticking to their own group and not venturing outside their respective 'box'.

I love this site as it is, I know that I am not the only one.

'If it aint broke......."

RainbowCurls

RelaxerRehab said:
Wow... um... If more people felt like this, there might be fewer paid subscriptions. I hope this board's owners don't feel this way.... Sigh.... this sentiment doesn't make me feel so welcome to this forum.... Quite unfortunate.

Er, how have I made you feel unwelcome?

I'm natural myself!

What I meant was, there are lots of sites for discussing hair in a segregated way, and what's good about this is that everyone can discuss it together.

PaperClip

PerfectDoak said:
Er, how have I made you feel unwelcome?

I'm natural myself!

What I meant was, there are lots of sites for discussing hair in a segregated way, and what's good about this is that everyone can discuss it together.

It feels unwelcome to say "other boards do this, other boards have that." It's like a form of exclusion.

Also, it certainly is not about the question of one's individual hair texture at all. Debating one's personal hair texture brings politics into it, and it's not even about that. That's one of the nice things about this board. It's simply about GROWING HEALTHY HAIR.

Using the word "segregated" is such a loaded, value-laden word (and I recognize that you were not the first person to use it in this thread). Having a separate natural/transitioners board would not be a form of segregation. I look at it at being in different rooms of the same house. The HOUSE is GROWING LONG HAIR. The ROOMS range from all the different forums on this board, which range from the Christian forum to the hair recipe board to the salon forum, etc.

Edited to add: Also, in post #8, I listed my specific reasons advocating for a distinct Naturals/Transitioners Forum.

RainbowCurls

RelaxerRehab said:
It feels unwelcome to say "other boards do this, other boards have that." It's like a form of exclusion.

Why would I want to exclude people?

I just explained in my last post that what I meant was there are enough forums where hair types are segregated.

And IMO, this forum, not being one, is a good thing. As people have an opportunity to learn things from others they wouldn't have otherwise, and people are respectful of everyone elses hair choices.

PaperClip

JCoily said:
In the interest of keeping things friendly.....

LHCF has it's own culture and vibe which differs from other boards. Those of us who went through the process of transitioning and ultimately going natural and did so with the assistance of THIS board appreciate and want to maintain that culture and vibe.

As for segregation being a good thing, I respectfully disagree. When you slap a label whether it be 'natural section', 'type 4 section', 'relaxer section', 'transitioner section' or what have you, it tends to result in people who don't fall into those categories sticking to their own group and not venturing outside their respective 'box'.

I love this site as it is, I know that I am not the only one.

'If it aint broke......."

Respectfully responding....

I agree with your point about the friendliness of this board. That's why out of the spectrum of boards that I could have subscribed to, I chose this one. And as a full-time graduate student, I must use my discretionary funds WISELY.

I'm not exactly sure if you're referring to me with the point of saying segregation being a good thing, I'm emphasizing the mirror image of that point that DEsegregation has instituted some harms amongst people of color...that is true. And that is a separate conversation from this one but I'm glad to have that conversation at some point in time.

Using the term "slap" a label demonstrates a lack of consideration of those (like me) who are still relatively new to this hair thing/transitional process. As I stated in post #8, I gave specific reasons advocating a distinct Naturals/Transitioners Forum, partly because I need to stay focused on my transition and it can be challenging (and tempting, I admit) to do so when I see and read posts from other textured folks.... For me, it's like going through a withdrawal (ergo RelaxerRehab). And when I'm ready, I can venture into other forums out of interest, to help my friends and family with hair questions, or just out of curiosity. I'm free to do that, just as others would be welcome into the Naturals/Transitioners Forum the same way I would be welcome in the other forums.

If individuals wish to stick to their own group and not venture outside their respective box, well, I would say two things to that: 1) that's totally on them and 2) they are the ones who slapped the label on themselves. Nobody else did that but them.

Finally, I recognize that I have free will to avoid certain threads and such that may not address my particular needs, but as THIS THREAD demonstrates, I am not alone. I salute the OP for his or her insight and courage to break from the status quo!

Last edited:

PaperClip

PerfectDoak said:
Why would I want to exclude people?

I just explained in my last post that what I meant was there are enough forums where hair types are segregated.

And IMO, this forum, not being one, is a good thing. As people have an opportunity to learn things from others they wouldn't have otherwise, and people are respectful of everyone elses hair choices.

I don't know why you might want to exclude people. I merely expressed how that combination of words sounded to me. Sure, maybe in the friendliest way, you're saying "hey, if you don't like it here, go somewhere else" and I'm just saying, "hey, I do like it here and I do want to stay and here's what would be helpful and supportive for me....", especially as an PAYING SUBSCRIBER to this board. And apparently others feel the same way. There's strength in numbers.

Hey, if it doesn't happen, I'm not going to ask for my subscription back, but it would be nice to know that this option was taken seriously. And, if this request does not match the philosophical ideologies of this board, that's completely understandable as well.

Maahiyshah

Country gal said:
I have gotten along very well here without a natural forum. I like look at the different topics in the hair topic. I learn lots of useful advice from relaxed heads too.

I agree. I mean I like the idea of having information for naturals, but I also like to look at all the threads. Perhaps just increasing threads about naturals would suffice?

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
RelaxerRehab said:
Using the term "slap" a label demonstrates a lack of consideration of those (like me) who are still relatively new to this hair thing/transitional process. As I stated in post #8, I gave specific reasons advocating a distinct Naturals/Transitioners Forum, partly because I need to stay focused on my transition and it can be challenging (and tempting, I admit) to do so when I see and read posts from other textured folks.... For me, it's like going through a withdrawal (ergo RelaxerRehab). And when I'm ready, I can venture into other forums out of interest, to help my friends and family with hair questions, or just out of curiosity. I'm free to do that, just as others would be welcome into the Naturals/Transitioners Forum the same way I would be welcome in the other forums.

RR,

Respectfully,

I do not believe I show a lack of consideration by using the term 'slap a label' but we can agree to disagree.

I did read your reasons advocating a natural/transitioner forum and as someone who transitioned with the aid of this board, I didn't find my experience on LHCF lacking as far as support or available information. So it's hard for me to relate to your indicating that these things are not currently available on this site.

I'm not advocating 'no change' just to argue. I am a member of other boards that practice what is being proposed. My observation is that it fosters an 'us' vs 'them' enviornment. Right now, there is not a trace of that on this board. I would like to keep it that way. And if that means having to use the search function as opposed to having a subgroup, I'm cool with that. But I will respect whatever result comes from this thread.

ClassicChic

This is not about segregation. This is not to exclude people.

Each site has different members and its own unique offerings. I am a paid subscriber to other sites as well. Some people may not find it hard to search through a primarily “relaxed” board, but at times it is a chore. Someone mentioned Nappturality. I am also a member of that site. There is an enormous amount of information there. But let’s be frank. What would happen if I asked a question such as, “I want to flat iron my hair, what is a good heat protectant?”

Yes there could possibly be more threads started for naturals, but how quickly will they get bumped down? It is about access to information.

mscounselor

I agree with those for and against having a Natural/Transitioners Forum.
Pro: Easier to get information about specifics very quickly.
Con: Some people's input, like those who were natural before and now have relaxed/texturized, wouldn't be heard because they dont really believe its for them. Yes some may venture into every once in a while, but I dont think we would get the best of both worlds.

I dont have a problem doing searches recently because people have been beginning the threads with "Naturals/Transitioners". When I want something on it, I search for either one.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Aren't natural/transitioner threads sufficient enough??? Why a separate board???

If not, go to Nappturality... I am a member of both LHCF and Nappturality.

Victorian

old head
One of the things I like most about this board is how all the relaxed and natural topics are happily coexisting next to each other. As someone who has been relaxed, transitioning, and now natural as a member of this board, the ability to go through the various stages of my hair journey while remaining in the same "home" is an experience that I value.
I know having separate boards wouldn't stop anyone from reading them all and getting tips from everyone, but I feel that having a unified board probably encourages more cross-participation than we may currently realize, and is vital to the dynamic of our forum.

In my opinion, there is no dearth of threads on natural topics. When I first joined nearly 3 years ago this was very clearly a majority relaxed forum. That is no longer the case. As far as actively posting members we are about equal in number, if not a little more populous on the natural/transitioning side. I see new threads about natural hair all the time. But regardless of my observations, if some people feel that there are far fewer threads for naturals or it is more difficult for us to find what we're looking for, then that's how you feel. I'm not entirely convinced that having a separate board would actually solve the problem though. If the problem is not having enough threads for naturals, then simply moving them to a new section won't create new ones. If it's about finding specific information for naturals more quickly, you're still going to have to use the search function within the natural forum. The main advantage I see is when you AREN'T looking for something specific and just want to browse the natural topics. That's a nice plus, but to me it isn't enough of a benefit to warrant making what would actually be a pretty major change to the board.

Maybe some of us can make an effort to create more threads on natural topics and bump up past threads that have been helpful so they are more visible to newcomers. I think putting forth the extra effort would be worth it to preserve an important aspect of our board. I hope my post isn't sounding too melodramatic or anything, but separate boards for natural and relaxed is something I just really, really don't want to see happen.

sylver2

I think everything is great the way it is.
I have learned so much valuable information.
If I wanted to go natural right this very minute, I already know what to do, or I can ask, or search. Same with being relaxed.
I like that Everyone is in the same place and getting along and helping each other.
Each group can learn from each other. I know many naturals that use my regime and I'm relaxed and it works for them. I follow a lot of things that naturals do even though I'm relaxed etc etc..

Jaelin

I don't like the idea of a separate section because as it is, there are areas/threads I don't enter period. If I click on one by mistake, I immediately hit my back button. I know that I'm missing somethings because occassionally the subjects will show up in the off topic section or in spinoff threads. I can see this happening with a separate section and people not entering because they think it's not for them and missing valuable info.

I have found valuable information in threads not dealing with natural hair and expect that this will continue in the future. But I do understand the frustration of trying to find natural specific information when searching. I wonder if we can't apply tags to our posts like on flickr and blogs, just to be used as a search aide, the posts would still be in the regular forum, but when we create a thread we could indicate something like ... this post could be of interest to/discusses natural/texturized/relaxed/all haircare. Not everyone puts in natural/texturized in their subject line. I know that I don't think about doing that if I post about my hair.

RainbowCurls

Poohbear said:
Aren't natural/transitioner threads sufficient enough??? Why a separate board???

If not, go to Nappturality... I am a member of both LHCF and Nappturality.

Be careful there, some people might think you're saying they're unwelcome on LHCF by saying that :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.