Naturals What Are U Using to...

An_gell

Naturals, what are you using to protect your ends to prevent splits. I just dusted my ends this week and want to find a good product to use to try to keep them nice and neat. I know some splits are probably inevitable, but I wanna try to prevent as many as possible. TIA!!

I can usually eliminate splits and knots if I keep my protein levels up, and moisturize with some diluted leave-in and seal with a butter (usually avocado). When I do this, my ends are in great shape... and when I don't, it's obvious... lol. I need to do better.

Oh!
I forgot to mention that I can pretty much eliminate knots when I keep my hair stretched. I don't WNG anymore. The knots are just too much in my crown.

Cosigning with davisbr88 about the stretching. Also, I discovered at the end of last summer that if I slather my ends in shea butter and hide them, I don't have to worry about split ends. I haven't gotten any since I started doing this.

i am just heavy handed with products. and i use water based products. i don't use combs or brush, and i don't use heat. i wear wngs and puffs. sometimes, i might twist my hair. i don't get knots when my hair is coated with product and i moisturize twice a daily, and spritz Juices and Berries in my hair throughout the day.

@davisbr88 How do you keep your hair stretched?

Well, I've been wearing two-strand twists back to back every two weeks, so I keep them stretched that way, but when I want to wear my hair loose, I sometimes band (if I'm not too lazy), but mostly I'll moisturize and seal after a wash and then let it dry in 4-5 big braids. But even when I wear my hair loose (not in twists), I try to keep it in some sort of protective style since I have fine hair and want to make sure I am keeping them hidden, at least until I reach my goal.

Cosigning with @davisbr88 about the stretching. Also, I discovered at the end of last summer that if I slather my ends in shea butter and hide them, I don't have to worry about split ends. I haven't gotten any since I started doing this.

IA. I was originally using oil. That did not work for me. I needed a butter to seal since my hair (and especially my ends) are porous.

I can usually eliminate splits and knots if I keep my protein levels up, and moisturize with some diluted leave-in and seal with a butter (usually avocado). When I do this, my ends are in great shape... and when I don't, it's obvious... lol. I need to do better.

Thanks! I do make sure my hair dries in a stretched state, but I still end up with splits but mainly knots. I haven't dusted my ends since last Mar, so I decided to just dust them a little to get rid of some of the splits that were getting caught on other strands and clinging together when I try to detangle. I don't plan on dusting again until another year from now, but just depends on the condition of my hair I guess.

Back