Naturals who flat iron and then roller set...

Essensual

...what is in your rolling setting spray bottle blend?

I get the coils straightened, but then the roller sets don't hold like I want them to. Any suggestions? I've got some Lottabody in the treasure chest, but I think that would work better for wet sets.

TIA

E-

msa

I'm confused.

So you flat iron first, but then you want curls so you do a dry rollerset? Is that right. I used to blow dry and then put in satin rollers overnight to get curls.

Also, back when I did get my hair flat ironed, sometimes after she straightened my hair my stylist would curl it and then I could just pin curl it at night to keep the curls. I didn't have to put anything on my hair for it to work in either instance.

I would think that if you've already flat ironed you wouldn't want to use a wet spray on your hair because it will just revert.

BostonMaria

I usually only add water in my spray bottle. The most I'll do is add a little bit of conditioner. Any other type of product in the spray bottle will make my hair hard and crunchy.

Essensual

I'm confused.

So you flat iron first, but then you want curls so you do a dry rollerset?Is that right.
I flat iron after I shampoo and DC. But then for instance if I want rock a loose roller set/curly look after I've done that, I using have to spray each section with hair spray and wrap it around a curling iron (more heat).:nono: I wanna figure out something that I could use to roller set on hard rollers or mesh rollers (on "pressed" hair") that wouldn't cause reversion.

I used to blow dry and then put in satin rollers overnight to get curls.
I may have to try this and see if I like the finished curls. Thanks, msa!

Also, back when I did get my hair flat ironed, sometimes after she straightened my hair my stylist would curl it and then I could just pin curl it at night to keep the curls. I didn't have to put anything on my hair for it to work in either instance.
Pin curls and I have a love/hate relationship...I love them, but they hate me.:lachen:I've gotta keep practicing my technique, I guess.

I would think that if you've already flat ironed you wouldn't want to use a wet spray on your hair because it will just revert.
You are quite right. I am specifically attempting to avoid reversion.:yep:

msa

You are quite right. I am specifically attempting to avoid reversion.:yep:

Yeah then you definitely don't want to use anything wet.

You know what might work for you, bantu knots. I usually do bantu knot outs to get a curly fro. But I've seen some examples on pressed hair and the finished result is really beautiful. You could use a butter (not too heavy or greasy) while putting them in to give it a bit of hold.

Essensual

I usually only add water in my spray bottle. The most I'll do is add a little bit of conditioner. Any other type of product in the spray bottle will make my hair hard and crunchy.

...so BostonMaria you are NOT experiencing reversion with the water only? You must be using a light mist type of spray bottle. Or maybe I'm just using too heavy handed.:ohwell:

Essensual

Yeah then you definitely don't want to use anything wet.

You know what might work for you, bantu knots. I usually do bantu knot outs to get a curly fro. But I've seen some examples on pressed hair and the finished result is really beautiful. You could use a butter (not too heavy or greasy) while putting them in to give it a bit of hold.

Now here's an idea that's got me thinking. It would certainly have to be well in advance of (insert special occasion here) to allow the style time to "set".

sheba1

...so BostonMaria you are NOT experiencing reversion with the water only? You must be using a light mist type of spray bottle. Or maybe I'm just using too heavy handed.:ohwell:

BostonMaria does traditional roller sets. And this would really help you with reversion, Essensual. If you did a traditional roller set followed by flat ironing to get straight. You'd have better hold when you roll, pin curl, etc and more body to the hair. Also reversion isn't as much of an issue, I find, if I roller set. I guess because the strand is so moisture filled after a roller set, it seems.

msa

Now here's an idea that's got me thinking. It would certainly have to be well in advance of (insert special occasion here) to allow the style time to "set".

I think if you did it the night before the curls would probably fall easily and you'd end up with waves (which would be cute too). So maybe a full 24 hours before? Just to be on the safe side. Also, when you take them out try not to mess with them to much (finger combing or regular combing) because that'll make the curls fall pretty easily as well.

Essensual

BostonMaria does traditional roller sets. And this would really help you with reversion, Essensual. If you did a traditional roller set followed by flat ironing to get straight. You'd have better hold when you roll, pin curl, etc and more body to the hair. Also reversion isn't as much of an issue, I find, if I roller set. I guess because the strand is so moisture filled after a roller set, it seems.

Hmmm...never thought of it this way. I usually do traditional RS when I have no intention of flat ironing and that works great for me. But sometimes, once I've flat ironed my hair straight, I'll want to change the style up a little and ADD some curls--and I hadn't figured a way to accomplish that successfully except with hair spray and a curling iron. What you've said certainly makes a lot of sense, Sheba.