Naturals who flat iron--can you share some tips?

danimani

For some reason, I can't get this flat ironing thing down.

I can get my hair super straight, but my ends are so dry, whereas the rest of my hair is soft and smooth!

I end up with a half straight, half poofy mess!

If it helps, I use a variety of heat protectants--from Redkin to Fantasia. And I have a solia flat iron.

Please, someone help! What am I doing wrong? :perplexed

kema

It might be your blow dry process. I find that that is the hardest part.

If your ends are not straight when you flat iron, you are only pressing down the frizz, so you end up with smooth roots and then rough feeling ends. Make sure your hair is properly moisturized with a good deep condition before you start. Then as you get ready to blow dry try a silcone based blow dry lotion. This will help glide your comb or brush through your hair as you blow dry.

Section off your hair into about four sections and without manipulating your hair blow dry off some of the water. When it is damp but not soaking wet, use a denman brush and comb thru while you blow dry. Focus on getting your ends straight.

After its all dry the flat iron part should be fairly easy.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Here are the steps I take to prevent heat damage from flat-ironing: wash, condition, detangle, apply leave-in, rollerset, airdry, take out rollers, apply heat protectant, then flat iron to each section.

caligirl

I agree with blowdrying it well first, preferably with a comb attachment. I also like Vonte silk effects for flat ironing.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

kema said:
It might be your blow dry process. I find that that is the hardest part.

If your ends are not straight when you flat iron, you are only pressing down the frizz, so you end up with smooth roots and then rough feeling ends. Make sure your hair is properly moisturized with a good deep condition before you start. Then as you get ready to blow dry try a silcone based blow dry lotion. This will help glide your comb or brush through your hair as you blow dry.

Section off your hair into about four sections and without manipulating your hair blow dry off some of the water. When it is damp but not soaking wet, use a denman brush and comb thru while you blow dry. Focus on getting your ends straight.

After its all dry the flat iron part should be fairly easy.

this is spot on for me and I've recently discovered how to fix this problem. I section my hair off in 6 sections. Each section gets thoroughly combed out, then i add a little leave in plus thermal protectant (I am loving ellin lavars thermist!!), then do a simple two strand twist and pin each section up to get it out the way. Bobby pins or a duck clip, whatever I have. Then I let my hair airdry for as long as I feel like but not completely. After that (usually about a half hour to an hour) I go back through and blowdry each section. I don't need to use as much heat since it's already been drying on its own. Also I want to mention that when i do the two strand twist I ENSURE the ends are smoothed all the way to the tip, I even add more water to the ends just to help in the smoothing process.

Edited to add: my blowdryer has a comb attachment. This is a must for me. Doesn't work well for others but my hair will not behave without it.

justNikki

I don't have enough hair to do that cheat set, but best believe when I do, that's what I'm gonna do!

What I do now...wash, DT, apply a little leave-in conditioner, comb through anti-frizz serum, plait my hair and air dry as much as possible and/or sit under the hair dryer for up to 30 mins to minimize the time needed for blow drying. For me also, it's in the blow dry process that I'll know if my flat ironing is gonna work. My hair hair/ends are practically straightened when I blow dry after using this method (and drying in small sections).

I have also done the roller sets, but it was taking me way to long to get all of the rollers in that I just got lazy with that, but I do agree, it's the BEST method overall.

rabs77

I posted this in another thread. Hope it helps

My Press:
Time excluding hair wash: Approx 3 hrs
Tools: Blowdryer with comb, pressing comb, MAXIGLIDE, BIOSILK silk serum,

Before washing my hair I part it into about 8 sections, and my hair stays in eight sections until I complete my hair washing steps. My hair is in sections because my hair is extremely thick, and I get overwhelmed if I do not section the hair. After completely rinsing out conditioner I towel dry my hair, keeping it in the 8 sections.

Step 1. Blow dry each section on medium heat with ONE DROP of BIOSILK serum.(no more than one drop or your hair will appear greasy, and wont swang) After this your hair should be straight...but probably not flat.

Step 2. Next I take very small sections of hair(Ill say 1 inch long and less than 1/4 inch thick), and

a. first pass comb through with a pressing comb(I first pass the comb over a towel to reduce the heat), then

b.with my MAXIGLIDE( Setting 5).

Each section of hair gets the once or twice over with the comb then the MAXIGLIDE.The hair going through the maxiglide should at this point be straight...from the blowdrying and pressing comb. If its not already straight the teeth from the maxiglide will pull out your hair!

+ You have to remember to press very small sections at a time, otherwise it wont last.
+ You can add bursts of steam to the hair from the MAXIGLIDE which gives it this amazing sheen and softness
+Great thing about the maxiglide is you can start pressing right from your scalp and wont feel a thing. Just make sure you dont press the steam button when you are near your scalp cos that hurts a lot!

Thanks to Cali's dry weather...my presses may last about 2 weeks. Girl just make sure you put it in a high ponytail and wrap your ish tight befor you get in the shower!

Now I havent tried the SEDU or CHI irons...they may or may not give the same results as MAXIGLIDE...you will have to get info from someone who has used all 3

Hope this helps