Naturals who retain length well;how often is your hair in a stretched state?

JerriBlank

How do you wear your hair mostly?
What can your length retention be attributed to?
I'm really thinking that i'm going to have to get my hair braided soon.
I don't know how i feel about this,as my ends are responding very well to the attention that i have been paying to them.However,in order for me to keep doing this,i am having to retwist my hair almost every night.My hair shrinks back in on itself throughout the day(i think this would be a lesser problem if my hair was longer),and i have to detangle every time i re-twist.
I am worried that this will soon be too much on my hair.
Your insight is appreciated:yep:

purplepeace79

I keep my hair in extension styles about 70% of the year, going for 90% this coming year. I figure since I grew my hair to my waist in 5 years with locs, a similar method might just work for my loose hair.

When its not in extensions, its probably stretched 75% of the time, usually with roller sets, bunning, pin curling, braid outs, etc. I find it MUCH easier to deal with my hair when its stretched and I have no real breakage or SSKs.

I make sure its well moisturized and I keep the ends sealed with thick moisturizers and oils.

Thats all I can offer.

JerriBlank

I keep my hair in extension styles about 70% of the year, going for 90% this coming year. I figure since I grew my hair to my waist in 5 years with locs, a similar method might just work for my loose hair.

When its not in extensions, its probably stretched 75% of the time, usually with roller sets, bunning, pin curling, braid outs, etc. I find it MUCH easier to deal with my hair when its stretched and I have no real breakage or SSKs.

I make sure its well moisturized and I keep the ends sealed with thick moisturizers and oils.

Thats all I can offer.
Thank you!
That's exactly what i was asking:yep:
I have been moisturizing the ish out of my ends,since they have been available everyday,so how do i keep them moisturized the same way in braids?
I had no problem with this as a relaxed head,but my natural hair needs soooooo much more moisture!!
Your hair is gorgeous,by the way:yep:

mj11051

Thats all I can offer.

Wow your hair is beautiful:grin: I love the color also.

MsBoinglicious

Banded (pony or pig tails) or in a bun.

Not wearing my hair in a shrunken state like in afros or puffs (they cause single strand knots for me). I notice that when my ends are allowed to be dried straight (in buns or banded pigtails/ponytail) my ends do not curl upon themselves. So I get lesser/no knots. Which means I don't have to cut my hair. Which leads to retention.

JerriBlank

Banded (pony or pig tails) or in a bun.

Not wearing my hair in a shrunken state like in afros or puffs (they cause single strand knots for me). I notice that when my ends are allowed to be dried straight (in buns or banded pigtails/ponytail) my ends do not curl upon themselves. So I get lesser/no knots. Which means I don't have to cut my hair. Which leads to retention.

I've noticed this also!
Which is why i'm thinking that until my hair is long enough to keep stretched in other ways,i'm gonna have to braid.
How often do you moisturize?
TIA!

Ronnieaj

I'm one of those naturals who just wet twists her hair. It shrinks up when twisted, but that keeps the hair off my collars, wraps, etc. I wash weekly, DC with steam, acv rinse and then twist. I use a water based spray conditioner and seal with oil daily. I cut 3 inches in June and its all grown back, with fairly minimal SSKs.

BostonMaria

In the spring and summer I wear it in a curly ponytail or bun. Wash and go's on the weekend. In the Fall and Winter I rollerset once a week.
I "listen" to my hair's needs. Right now its winter and my hair sheds if I co-wash so I'm rollersetting. I would say that going back and forth between straight and curly has helped. I try not to manipulate too much. When my hair is curly I tend to twirl my hair too much. That's a big no no. If I keep it straight I will have to use heat. So I try to compromise and alternate styles.

I personally don't braid my hair because I don't like it, but I will say just be careful with having it pulled back too tight.

Nonie

Braided

Low manipulation, keeping my hair "locked" in a tangle-free state.

When my hair was a TWA, I kept the front of it cornrowed and braided the back every night and combed it out into an afro puff during the day. There was hardly any time spent detangling because I would comb my hair out in the AM after wearing it in braids for the night and baggying, and since it'd be wet from baggying and S Curl, and somewhat stretched, it'd comb out as easily as seen in this vid of condition-drenched hair. I never let my hair get tangled so I rarely have detangling sessions.

Vonnieluvs08

What I've learned in the past six months that twists (wet or dry) are my best friends. This is even more important as my hair gets longer because it can now form SSKs where as it wouldn't when it was shorter. I have cut off a lot of my hair as I've grown it out to get rid of heat damage and relaxed ends but I still have good length for 6months.

I do wear puffs or WNGs once a month for a week to break the monotony of twists. I do take care with the cold to keep it well moisturized with lots of oils and butters every day or every other day depending on how I'm wearing it and how it feels.

I'm also finding washing in sections, detangling gently and when it is drenched in conditioner also helps with retention. I will do search and destroys to keep SSK from causing more damage.

tkj25

How do you wear your hair mostly? mostly yarn braids while my hair is growing back out, and twists.
What can your length retention be attributed to? leaving it alone (protective styles), minimal heat, & moisturizing.

danigurl18

Summer- Wash n gos, curly buns, and puffs
Winter- braids, full head sew ins, buns

moisturizing my ends, DC with heat, not wearing my hair down all the time

Detroit2Dallas

in braids or twist under a sating bonnet and or a knit hat/head wrap although right now its in a twist out and I'll be getting zillions soon
moisture moisture moisture and little to no heat
I don't know how i feel about this,as my ends are responding very well to the attention that i have been paying to them.However,in order for me to keep doing this,i am having to retwist my hair almost every night.My hair shrinks back in on itself throughout the day(i think this would be a lesser problem if my hair was longer),and i have to detangle every time i re-twist.

girl you are going to lose more hair like this. I suggest you get a good moisturizing concoction and leave those twist in for 4-7 days (or more if you can do it). Do like I do and get into cute over sized hats or head wraps. if thats not for you then def braids. Touching your hair everyday is going to do more damage then good

JerriBlank

I'm one of those naturals who just wet twists her hair. It shrinks up when twisted, but that keeps the hair off my collars, wraps, etc. I wash weekly, DC with steam, acv rinse and then twist. I use a water based spray conditioner and seal with oil daily. I cut 3 inches in June and its all grown back, with fairly minimal SSKs.
Yeah i only wet twist too!I'm not sure about the effects dry twisting would have,but i'm very leary of doing too much to my hair when it is dry.I'm pretty sure that's not for me:nono:.
Your progress sounds awesome:yep:!!!SSK's are rearing their ugly heads already,but my rosewater mix under my shea butter mix and leave in keep them at bay.I'm gonna have to just be even more anal about making sure i'm massaging these things into my ends through the ends properly.Your regimen sounds like what i'm doing right now.That is extremely promising for me!
Thanks for your response!!!

aa9746

My retention is due to keeping my hair braided 90% of the time under my wigs. Less manipulation equals more retention for me.

Once I reach my hair goals and stop wearing wigs, I have to figure out how to keep what I grew.

JerriBlank

In the spring and summer I wear it in a curly ponytail or bun. Wash and go's on the weekend. In the Fall and Winter I rollerset once a week.
I "listen" to my hair's needs. Right now its winter and my hair sheds if I co-wash so I'm rollersetting. I would say that going back and forth between straight and curly has helped. I try not to manipulate too much. When my hair is curly I tend to twirl my hair too much. That's a big no no. If I keep it straight I will have to use heat. So I try to compromise and alternate styles.

I personally don't braid my hair because I don't like it, but I will say just be careful with having it pulled back too tight.
I'm def not long enough to rollerset,lol,but that is looking like a very popular option from what i've been reading:yep:.I suck at it:sad:.
I'm thinking that when i get long enough,i'm going to alternate btwn straight and curly as well.Very reassuring for me:yep:
And i am extremely anal about my edges not being braided tight!I make sure they are pretty loose,and then i just touch them up when they start to frizz too much.
Thanks for your input!

JerriBlank

Braided

Low manipulation, keeping my hair "locked" in a tangle-free state.

When my hair was a TWA, I kept the front of it cornrowed and braided the back every night and combed it out into an afro puff during the day. There was hardly any time spent detangling because I would comb my hair out in the AM after wearing it in braids for the night and baggying, and since it'd be wet from baggying and S Curl, and somewhat stretched, it'd comb out as easily as seen in this vid of condition-drenched hair. I never let my hair get tangled so I rarely have detangling sessions.

How did your ends fare from this?I have had so many overnight dc's already,and it's only supposed to get colder:nono:
This winter is not being kind to my twa,so i'm trying to roll with the punches.I have no tried baggying,however,so i will do this tomorrow night for a test run.
Did you baggy every night?

JerriBlank

What I've learned in the past six months that twists (wet or dry) are my best friends. This is even more important as my hair gets longer because it can now form SSKs where as it wouldn't when it was shorter. I have cut off a lot of my hair as I've grown it out to get rid of heat damage and relaxed ends but I still have good length for 6months.

I do wear puffs or WNGs once a month for a week to break the monotony of twists. I do take care with the cold to keep it well moisturized with lots of oils and butters every day or every other day depending on how I'm wearing it and how it feels.

I'm also finding washing in sections, detangling gently and when it is drenched in conditioner also helps with retention. I will do search and destroys to keep SSK from causing more damage.
I can't do a WNG to save my life!lol!
I'm pretty basic with the styles right now.Curly fro's after taking down a bantu knot out have been my staple styles.I'm a total rookie:grin:.
I have not been combing my hair when it is dry at all:nono:
I detangle and twist on hair that has been co-washed and dc'ed,but i'm thinking that its what i'm doing after that that may be a problem in this weather.
Braids and twists are looking like my saviour right now.
Thanks!

JerriBlank

How do you wear your hair mostly? mostly yarn braids while my hair is growing back out, and twists.
What can your length retention be attributed to? leaving it alone (protective styles), minimal heat, & moisturizing.
I've never had yarn braids,but braids are braids to me since i can only do one kind!lol!What do they look like?Am i wrong?I probably am:lachen:
How are you moisturizing with the braids?Are you using a creamy leave-in?
Thanks!!

glamazon386

How do you wear your hair mostly? In a bun or under a wig

What can your length retention be attributed to? Protective styling most of the time.

JerriBlank

girl you are going to lose more hair like this. I suggest you get a good moisturizing concoction and leave those twist in for 4-7 days (or more if you can do it). Do like I do and get into cute over sized hats or head wraps. if thats not for you then def braids. Touching your hair everyday is going to do more damage then good
I knooowwwww:sad:.I just know it's going to be harmful in the long run:nono:
Do you mean twists on your real hair?
I don't have enough right now for that:lachen:
I will def have to do extensions.My worry is moisturizing properly underneath there.I feel like i really need to get to my ends,you know?

classychic1908

I bun probably 95% of the time. What works for me lately, is using activator gel and aloe juice to moisturize my hair. At night I moisturize and sleep with my hair in a loose satin scrunchy and I re bun every morning without disturbing my hair too much, just slightly changing the position of the bun and slicking down my edges. I have found that low manipulation and protective styling are the keys to retention for me.

JerriBlank

My retention is due to keeping my hair braided 90% of the time under my wigs. Less manipulation equals more retention for me.

Once I reach my hair goals and stop wearing wigs, I have to figure out how to keep what I grew.
Everyone that i have seen wearing wigs on this board have awesome retention:yep:
How are your edges?I know that's a tricky issue for some wig wearers.
May i ask what you use to moisturize?
Thanks!

JerriBlank

Sorry for quoting every single post,but i don't want to mess up this natural hair:nono:
I have tons of questions about this:look:

I'm gonna be like you guys' annoying little sister right now:lachen:.I want to know EVERYTHING!!!!:grin:

So for the braid/twist wearers,how long are you guys keeping them up before taking a break?Are you taking a break?
What exactly are you moisturizing with?I used to have this down when i was relaxed,but my natural hair ain't going for that lightweight stuff anymore:nono:

Oh,and i love all of you guys' hair!!!
i am not just saying that!I am sure i've gushed over each and every one of the heads of hair in here at one time or another!I have no shame:look:
Thanks for helping guys!!!:yep:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
i keep my hair moisturized then keep it in a bun or twist outs. not straightening do to the fact that my flat iron is crap and i dont know how to do rollersets that good.

JerriBlank

I bun probably 95% of the time. What works for me lately, is using activator gel and aloe juice to moisturize my hair. At night I moisturize and sleep with my hair in a loose satin scrunchy and I re bun every morning without disturbing my hair too much, just slightly changing the position of the bun and slicking down my edges. I have found that low manipulation and protective styling are the keys to retention for me.
You're using just aloe juice to moisturize and hair gel:blush:
Your hair is beautiful!!!!!Whoa!
Aloe juice in a spray bottle?So that's the same as some of us using spray concoctions,right?
How are your ends doing?How often are you washing?
Thank you!

JerriBlank

i keep my hair moisturized then keep it in a bun or twist outs. not straightening do to the fact that my flat iron is crap and i dont know how to do rollersets that good.
Do you just twist overnight or are you wearing twists for a longer period of time,and then un-twisting like others are doing?
Thank you!

winnettag

Braids; either cornrows under my wigs or box braid extensions.

Low manipulation, keeping hair moisturized, not using heat and using a heavy oil on my ends.

My edges are fine because I give them extra TLC when it comes to moisturizing and sealing and because I take the wigs off ASAP when I get home.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Do you just twist overnight or are you wearing twists for a longer period of time,and then un-twisting like others are doing?
Thank you!

i twist my hair at night and the next day i let them out, it comes out really curly. and to keep the twists curly during the week i retwist at night. so im twisting like every other night. and i moisturize twice a day. i never keep my hair in twists, just twistouts. thanks for asking!!:grin::grin:

Nonie

How did your ends fare from this?I have had so many overnight dc's already,and it's only supposed to get colder:nono:
This winter is not being kind to my twa,so i'm trying to roll with the punches.I have no tried baggying,however,so i will do this tomorrow night for a test run.
Did you baggy every night?

My hair did OK with this. I only got tired of dealing with it daily and so put in extensions so I could go for days without bothering with it.

Yes, I baggied nightly without fail. While everyone else uses silk/satin scarves or pillows to protect their hair when they sleep, I'm a baggy chick. I use plastic cap, plastic shopping bags, Saran wrap. I even use these under headwraps and hats. When my hair is braided, I don't use any products on it besides shampoo, conditioner and ACV during the wash. So baggying nightly is how I keep my hair from drying out.