Naturals who then relaxed/texlaxed....

greight

Dang this thread is RIGHT on time, I am texlaxing at the end of the year and I can't wait...I'm about SL and my ultimate length goal is WSL...so yea...

Yeah, I know right!

I was never one of those staunch "ride or die" naturals. But nobody can tell me nothin' cuz I gave this hair several years of my life so I'm good.

I want to grow my hair long and I KNOW I'd hate growing it to WSL with the problems I have now. I know I won't make it there.

Raspberry

I haven't considered texlaxing cause it seems kind of complicated to get right.. but I'm assuming there's better products and techniques now? I've seen some beautiful texlaxed hair on this forum.

I have to say, the person who has been giving me the most grief about taking down my locs and relaxing is one of my BFFs who is MBL relaxed and has never been natural. She thinks I should keep my locs forever though she has all these phobias about going natural and loves her weekly trips to the salon.. she's annoying me :laugh:

HauteHippie

Hey! I just wanted to add that even if you end up texlaxing, texturizing or relaxing and you don't go to Juanita, please go to someone who really listens to you and can assess your hair while in its natural state.

I texlaxed in Dec 08 and it was awful-falafel. By Feb 09, I'd cut it all off and started over again.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

hothair

^^Or do loads of research and do it yourself. Unless you have enough hair for 4 people you really can relax and texlax easily yourself.

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
Yeah, I know right!

I was never one of those staunch "ride or die" naturals. But nobody can tell me nothin' cuz I gave this hair several years of my life so I'm good.

I want to grow my hair long and I KNOW I'd hate growing it to WSL with the problems I have now. I know I won't make it there.

That's my point! I am already having issues with my little piece of hair, i can't IMAGINE it at WSL :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I'm going back to the crack!

Kalia1

BillBackerz67- Did you have the relaxer put in professionally initially?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Nexus S 4G

BklynHeart

EtherealEnigma, I was talking to Juanita about texterizing too! Is Salerm21 a lye-based or no-lye? and if you want to use a relaxer instead can you, or will you have to grow the texturizer out? My issue is, I can't use no-lye on my hair, it'll dry it out. Also, does your hair look like a natural blow out?

HauteHippie

EtherealEnigma, I was talking to Juanita about texterizing too! Is Salerm21 a lye-based or no-lye? and if you want to use a relaxer instead can you, or will you have to grow the texturizer out? My issue is, I can't use no-lye on my hair, it'll dry it out. Also, does your hair look like a natural blow out?

I think Salerm is a lye relaxer; I didn't want to texturize. My damp hair looks like this (which is how I wanted it to):
uploadfromtaptalk1312997102051.jpg

It's still puffy with texture or curls where they were before, they're just a little looser now.

ETA: we just let the relaxer sit and she kind of fluffed my hair, but we did not smooth it.

nisemac

very glad i found this thread...this has been on my mind lately. i've been natural for so long....i feel clueless o_O. especially since i feel like i've JUST figured things out.

growth was never an issue. maintaining length was a minor issue related to lack of knowledge and routine--regardless of whether i was relaxed, texlaxed, or natural. it was more about 'what do i do with this hair'? now i feel like i know, but still have to 'choose a path', if that makes sense.

lately, i think texlaxing has been calling me, and i wonder, if i was back home, would i bother. 'hair survival' has me doing things i never did before (half wigs, cornrows). before, i could just wng and be done. this high pollution (year round), hard water, uber humid summers, and bone dry winters has me hoppin left and right, trying to win the good fight--and afraid to put anything in my hair for fear of damage.

MzMorenaza

I don't usually post on here but have been lurking all day, I was natural for about a year, transition for 7 months. Texlaxing had been on my mind for a few months now and today I finally took the plunge. Not sure if my answers will help but I'll give it a shot.

How did you decide what relaxer/texlax method was right for you?
by doing research, reading other's experience and watching a few YT vids.

Did you have any second thoughts? not right now I did it tonight.

What was the condition of your hair? healthy, natural for a year.

How long was your hair?
right now is shoulder length but I need a haircut to even it out, I have different lengths all over :perplexed

How did you develop a regimen?
still under construction

And did your relax/texlax hair respond to products in a similar way to your formerly natural hair?
I used the CJ products so far so good, we'll see.

liberationtheory

I'm seriously considering it. I can't wear my hair in twists since it'll break off, I can't wear my hair out since it'll get tangled, and putting up in a bun is a mess because of shrinkage. I could use heat, but my hair has fine strands that it won't be worth the hassle (esp. when the humidity strikes). :ohwell: My hair is time consuming and this just isn't fun anymore.

For those of you out there, what went in your decision making?
How did you decide what relaxer/texlax method was right for you?

Did you have any second thoughts?

What was the condition of your hair?

How long was your hair?

How did you develop a regimen?

And did your relax/texlax hair respond to products in a similar way to your formerly natural hair?

Thanks in advance! I'm a coily 4b, prone to split ends/dryness, normal density. I most likely would self-texlax and roller set. I've been natural for several years.

This is just like my post about a year ago. Ultimately, I decided to relax. I miss my natural hair tremendously, but I don't have regrets.

My hair was BSL, but I had a minor set back (trim that wasn't a trim) in January, so now I'm back at BSL again.

My hair was so, so dry and never seemed to get enough even distribution of moisture. My hair was 4a with some 4/b and 3/c along the perimeter. I continually had breakage due to dryness and ssk (single strand knots). It was in its best condition when it was flat-ironed because it was easier to moisturize. However, I didn't want to continue that because the amount of manipulation it took to blow-out couldn't be any worse than relaxing. Also, at the time, I was a full time mom, teacher, and grad student. Spending hours on Saturday doing hair was just not an option for me, nor did I want to cut my hair short. I could do protective styles but they didn't last over a week because they couldn't stand up to washing and I HAVE to wash my hair weekly. Also, I look young enough as it is (despite being 33) and PS looked me look like I was barely out of middle school.

I haven't developed a regimen just yet, but get my hair touched-up every 10-12 weeks. I think I need to go back to 8-10 weeks and find a better moisturizing regimen, because I started experiencing some breakage in the last 2 weeks.

I'm not sure if I've answered all the questions but I hope this helps!!

ETA: Sometimes I think about going back natural but haven't because 1) I don't want to cut my hair off (been there and done that for years with short hair) 2) maintaining two textures is hell on my hair and 3) thinking back to the dryness, time consumption, and effort/manipulation keeps me from making that decision.

ETAA: I was natural for about 14 years before I relaxed again.

Last edited: