Naturals who use Denman brushes.........come on in. Need ya help!

StarScream35

So now that I am mostly natural, I recently added the Denman brush to my regimen. Actually I was forced to because wide tooth combs weren't getting all of the shedded hairs and this was causing matting and tangling near the roots. Ain't nothing like trying to detangle or get a single strand knot out near the roots.............OUCH!!

I've only tried the Denman on dry hair because I'm freaked out about using it on wet hair because in a wet state, my hair is a lil fragile. Actually I also like that bushy look I get brushing on dry hair. The thing is the denman not only gets the shedded hairs but also rips good hairs out. I detangle in small sections but this brush still manages to rip out healthy hairs.

So, is there a way to combat this? Also, do you use your denman on wet or dry hair?

Gibsongal

I actually started using the Denman d31 brush. it's wide spaced and still gets the job done with getting the shed hair out. I think you can also motify the regular brush by taking out every other row. I've seen it done with Denman knockoffs. I might be more diffcult with and actual denman. Currently I can't post links, but just google it. should pop up.

Fhrizzball

I take out a couple or rows and do it on damp hair as opposed to dry or wet. I have the knockoff that's sold at CVS though. When I had the deman I did the same thing though. Also I make sure my hair is thoroughly finger detangled or comb detanged before I use it. I work section by section and go layer by layer if that makes sense.

curlyhersheygirl

I use the denman unmodified as the last stage of my detangling process with no problem.

I first use a wide tooth comb, then a comb with slightly smaller spaces between teeth, then the denman.

Nonie

So, is there a way to combat this? Also, do you use your denman on wet or dry hair?

Yes, stop using brushes on your hair Brighteyes35. I have never used brushes and I never get tangles because I always remove shed hair. A fine tooth comb does that for me.

I've never understood why people freak out about fine-tooth combs when hair strands are so much more narrower than the spaces between the comb's teeth. With a fine-tooth comb (seamless please!!!) you can part a narrow section of your own hair and starting from ends comb through starting further up each time till you can comb from base smoothly. Then move on to another section.

My hair has very tiny kinks, but I can get this comb through it, because I do it often enough when my hair is loose so that there are no shed hair to create a snag. (Some images and more about this in this post.) This hair had just been combed with that fine tooth comb you just saw at the previous two links in this paragraph.

You don't have to jump on every bandwagon natural people are on. I haven't and I'm doing OK. Not everything works for everyone so there's no point trying something that you were not missing just coz other people are doing it.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I use a Denman on my natural DD, but only on smaller sections when it is soaked with conditioner and after finger and wide comb detangling.

kupenda

I use a DenmanD3 and I have a multi textured TWA. I encompass all the 4's and I have 3c as well. I don't use it as my first line of detangling tho. I use it on wash day after finger combing with wet hair drenched in tresemme naturals conditioner. I remove as much shed hair with my fingers as I can first. Then I rinse, apply KCKT liberally, and then use the Denman in very small sections. I rarely get snags because I remove them with my fingers first. The Denman is just to help my textures meld together a bit

As a relaxed head that stretched about 3 months, I HATED the Denman. Ripped out healthy hair. So I modified it. Still despised it. But as a natural, it's been great. If it doesn't work for you, please don't use it. Don't waste precious strands on things that don't help. I hope you find what you need!

Seamonster

I use a denman maybe every few months. I usually just scrub my scalp with it to pull up any hairs then finger or comb them out. Every blue moon I will run the denman over my ends, but I don't care to. I prefer a seamless comb for that.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I use my Denman as the last step in my wash/co-wash process (on wet hair) to evenly distribute my leave-in and remove any remaining shed hair. I also use a knock off (don't know the brand) on dry hair - it's gentler on dry hair - to detangle pre-wash.

.:Eden:.

I used a knock off denman by Goody. I detangle on dry hair that I've saturated in conditioner. This works very well for me. I tried to modify it to see of I like the wider spaces, but it was more difficult.
I bought a denman d41, because I heard it was better for natural hair. I didn't like it though. It was difficult to detangle my hair.

With that being said I like the denman or goody d3 to detangle with conditioner

APrayer4Hair

The Denman was the reason I BCed in the first place. It ripped my hair out like no other and the hair that was left was very damaged. Maybe I was using it wrong. I've tried it on a small section of hair since going natural an I still don't like it. I only keep it around because it works well on my niece's 3b hair. I would much rather use a seamless comb.

AHeadOfCoils

I detangle with a wide tooth comb and conditioner. When I'm rinsing the conditioner out, I use the denman underneath the running water. It doesn't rip my hair out. It glides with the water down my hair shaft

I only have 4 rows left in mine, so basically I took out every other row.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Put that Denman down...and then kick it into a dark corner. That ghatdamned Denman is enemy #1 to my hair. :nono::fistshake:

CHI10

i use the denman on wet hair loaded with conditioner/leave in..i don't think i have damage..honestly, i really don't care lol...i just can't deal with matted hair

BillsBackerz67

Do what works for you. All I know is if I solely finger detangled my hair would be a rats nest at the roots. For some reason my fingers doesnt remove shed hair for me as it does for other people. So once a week or so i rake either my denman or a wide tooth comb once or twice through my head to remove most of the shed hair i missed with my fingers.