Naturals with a low or medium density - hairstyles?

Krystle~Hime

Hi everyone,

I can only do Front puff updos like in my siggy for "creating" some thickness cause my hair doesn't have some.. thickness.

I try to do this hairstyle yesterday.
It was ridiculous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwVoCikPZq8&feature=plcp
In the previous vid, she did a blow out, then did 11 twists. And this vid is the result.
I do the exact same way, but when I took down he twists, there were BIG spaces between each twists. not to say between each strand of each twists v_v
No thickness in this hairstyle, only stretched hair.
I'm wondering if I should stop try to "combat" shrinkage by stretching hair after each wash. and should do my hairstyles on wet hair for having more thickness in my twistouts/braidouts.

But the 1st reason I stretched my hair is for avoiding knots.
Having stretched hair minimize knots appearance and that's great for finger detangling. (I'm not saying that you can't finger detangling if you don't stretch your hair, but things are easier this way.. for me.)

Also, I stretch my hair for having long term hairstyles(that I keep at least 2 weeks). My hair can't stand the kind of routine like "retwisting hair every night before sleep" my hair can't stand that.
I tried that during May and June (for "enjoying more my hair") and even if I was very patient, and keep moisturizing and sealing my hair as usual, I mostly experiment breakage. My hair prefers to not be manipulated.

If you are concerned with that kind of density, please feel free to share your thoughts, and even if you don't know yourself what to do lol just share your support :yep:

Krystle~Hime

(I swear this is not hairnorexia... please trust me ¬¬ )
It used to be "low" I have pics somewhere. Now it's medium. I still can not do "out stretched style" cause it's not full. The back is still very low. If you look at my siggy yes, maybe it doesn't look like, as I said it's because I put all my hair in the front.
Trompe l'oeil.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I'm fine strands low-med density. If my hair is in a fro, it looks full, blow outs look pretty full too. Ponytails, twist/braid outs look wonky :ohwell:.

Hoping things look better as I gain length.

grownupnai

My hair is skinny(fine) and i also have low density. Your puff to the front looks so beautiful. I hope more ladies chime in with styles they do on low density hair. My hair looks it's fullest when my wash and go hair is dry, or when I pick it out without stretching it. My hair is easily stretched by ponytails, buns etc... so after a couple of days of moisturizing... I just pull it back in a bun and go to work. I would love to try a front puff, but I'm already so tall... Maybe for a very special occasion. It's so pretty.

MzSwift

Looking forward to the submissions!

I hate trying to replicate styles I see on YT. They are always a fail. I just end up fluffing it out or spraying water on it so that it poofs faster.

This lady at work was commenting on how thick my hair was then she put her hands in it and went straight to my scalp. So she changed her tone to how it was so soft and fine. I told her it was okay and that I describe my hair as a cloud. It looks big and fluffy but feels airy.

I too like to keep my hair stretched to avoid SSKs and tangles.

g.lo

I don't stretch my hair, and i have noticed that
low manipulation is more important to my hair than protective styling.
I havent' flat iron my hair since I started my hair journey in jan 2011.
My hair is fine and i use to have tons of it, but when post partum hit me i lost a lot (density wise). I find that working with my hair not stretched make it look fuller.
really looking forward to read other answers!

coolsista-paris

what i do after wash : add heat serum +blow dry tension.method each section. after blow drying each section i add à little s curl spray ,seal or sometimes not. then i retwist that section. i stay in thèm for like 2 hours. or à night. when its undone i style with fingers seperating thé sections.. it has more volume. example :

ForumRunner_20120831_232802.jpg

ForumRunner_20120831_232823.jpg

ForumRunner_20120831_232922.jpg

ForumRunner_20120831_233144.jpg

i have fine strands with médium density.
my hair hates manipulation. i still do my 5 big twists each night. its working Well. when i started including protein more..my hair does not break by those each night twists. as long as i do it slowly. also i dont have to moisturize each day. (when i used to jt would break). so moosturize only when needed. i seal with light oil . heavy oils..butters...sprays..gel...henna..indian rip my fine hair .

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i fake it because i will never make it, lol.
twists are a no. just no. I'll never be happy with how my hair looks.
what works is doing twistouts or braidouts on wet hair, and then really getting at the roots with my fingers to fluff for volume.
this, for example was a braidout with tiny perm rods on the ends. not too many braids, and i did it on wet/damp hair. when dry i fluffed it out a lot.

you should also look into fortifying your hair with some protein so that you'll be able to safely manipulate it more. i like the aphogee 2 minute, it's light enough to be used weekly.

coolsista-paris

Rocky91 said:
i fake it because i will never make it, lol.
twists are a no. just no. I'll never be happy with how my hair looks.
what works is doing twistouts or braidouts on wet hair, and then really getting at the roots with my fingers to fluff for volume.
this, for example was a braidout with tiny perm rods on the ends. not too many braids, and i did it on wet/damp hair. when dry i fluffed it out a lot.

you should also look into fortifying your hair with some protein so that you'll be able to safely manipulate it more. i like the aphogee 2 minute, it's light enough to be used weekly.

exaclty. thats what i use nowdays. apoghee 2 min. weekly. ive ordered gpb ao . waiting for it.