Naturals with shiny hair?!!

kristina

My hair is the opposite of shiny (unless it's been pressed which is a different story) and I would love to know what you ladies are doing to get your have to shine so much (especially the sides of your ponytails and buns). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

BTW-yes, I know that it is not reasonable to expect natural hair to gleem like straight hair- but I've checked out enough albums to know that many are managing quite nicely.

good2uuuu

I use IC gel with sparkelites for shaping and hold. I don't know how it works for others, but for me it's great. It doesn't dry out my hair or anything. I use it to brush myahir back for puffs or buns and I scrunch it thorugh my hair while its dripping wet for a 'shake n go'. I also put my oils on while my hair is wet or damp. I have a spray on mixture of water, glycerin, honey, evoo, coconut oil ,castor oil and conditioner. HTH!

kristina

good2uuuu said:
I use IC gel with sparkelites for shaping and hold. I don't know how it works for others, but for me it's great. It doesn't dry out my hair or anything. I use it to brush myahir back for puffs or buns and I scrunch it thorugh my hair while its dripping wet for a 'shake n go'. I also put my oils on while my hair is wet or damp. I have a spray on mixture of water, glycerin, honey, evoo, coconut oil ,castor oil and conditioner. HTH!

Thanks this helps....btw- Love your rollerset!

unlvgirl

My Crown and Glory
I use wonder 8 oil or hot six oil daily on my hair not my scalp. Followed by heavy spraying of Isoplus oil sheen on the ends and light spraying it on the rest of the hair. It always leaved my hair shiny and I don't get a heavy buildup. My hair loves oils.

PhonyBaloney500

I think pomades are supposed to give shine right? I like the $$$$$$ Modern Organic Products Glisten pomade (you can buy it online at monserhair) as well as Oyin's Shine and Define Serum. There are probably some drug store pomades out there that might give shine as well! :)

Peachtree

For me, there's 2 kinds of shine enhancers...

1) "Wet" shiny... gives my hair a "deep" black hue... almost as if my hair is wet when it's actually dry...
anything w/glycerine (homemade water + glycerine mix, Luster's Curl Moisturizer on wet hair, adding (droplet of) honey & glycerine to conditioner rinse followed by cold water rinse)...as well as any curl enhancer (Noodlehead, SSLD, Proclaim curl activator)

2) "Oil" shiny...gives my hair a "bling bling" kinda "sheen" shiny
fav oil "Hot 6", Wonder 8 Oil, Carrot Oil, Castor Oil (mixed with a loose oil like Hot 6 to cut the thickness). Pommades & butters also... my homemade pommade (shea butter, coconut oil, mango oil, beeswax)...homemade butter (same ingredients minus beeswax).

-- I'm ALWAYS experimenting... I'll prolly find other mixes & products that enhance shine soon :cool:

Last edited:

babyblue

pomades containing shea butter usually give me great shine. Ashas Sun kissed pomade and kemi oyl shea butter pomade are my current favorites.

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)
I don't understand why people say naturals cant have shiny hair. I don't think so!! My hair shines!!!!!!! I use EQP mango Butter and EQP glaze.

bellydancer

i don't know if you'd consider my hair to be shiny, but I use Pro-line Comb-thru Softener on wet hair. I pull it back into a poof ball and it's shiny. My hair kinda has a natural shine to it anyway though. Oils do the job too. Hot Six Oil is a good one

Ennyaa

Oh Boy here we go again! Y'all gonna make me run out and go shopping tomorrow.

It's funny I used to buy Hot Six Oil and for the life of me I can't remember why I stopped. :nuts:

Naptrl, I feel like I should know this but what does EQP stand for? I wanna get that too because your hair is just gleaming!

Quinny

I just use green grease. This is when I wear my hair natural as opposed to pressed and then I just use shea butter but that's another story.
I use a lot of oils like the other ladies and I make my own shea butter creme which I use right after shampooing. Then when I brushing my hair back I add a dollop of that old time green grease. I stopped using it for several years only to miss the shine and hold it gave me. I've been back on it for about a year now. I rinse every shampoo with ACV.
I think that is one of the only store bought styling products I've stuck with.

Q

Akacentric10

I use Elasta QP Glaze on my edges. It works wonders when the edges are feeling rebellious and makes my hair very shiny. I've found that the less combing and brushing I do after washing, the shinier and more defined my curl pattern is. When it's warm and I can do the wash and go thing, I used Lottabody Setting Lotion and that leaves it black and shiny as well. Hope this helps!

Kha

Any oils or oil based moisturizer give my hair great shine. I also say ditto to what Peachtree said!

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
My hair is not very shiny to begin with, but I can put gel on wet hair and brush it with my Denman brush to make it shiny or use some Paul Mitchell mousse for shiny curly hair. My friend has naturally shiny hair (3b/c), as does her daughter (4a) so I think it depends a little bit on what kind of hair you have also. My hair can never be as shiny as theirs.

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)
Ennyaa said:
Naptrl, I feel like I should know this but what does EQP stand for? I wanna get that too because your hair is just gleaming!
Elasta QP...Sorry! and THanks for the Compliment!!

kristina

Thanks ladies. I never cease to be amazed at how helpful and informative you all are....now, I'm off to buy more products...wish me luck!

Healthb4Length

any kind of pomades or glazes give my hair that *bling!* shine. I personally like Elasta Qp mango butter because it moisturizes, smells great and gives a natural shine, it also holds down the frizzies without creating nasty buildup. Aura humectant pomade is also great for definition of curls and shine.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Alli77 said:
any kind of pomades or glazes give my hair that *bling!* shine. I personally like Elasta Qp mango butter because it moisturizes, smells great and gives a natural shine, it also holds down the frizzies without creating nasty buildup. Aura humectant pomade is also great for definition of curls and shine.

Has that Aura stuff been discontinued?

SilkyandSmooth

Alli77 said:
any kind of pomades or glazes give my hair that *bling!* shine. I personally like Elasta Qp mango butter because it moisturizes, smells great and gives a natural shine, it also holds down the frizzies without creating nasty buildup. QUOTE]

Agreed! I love this stuff.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Products that have given me shine: Citre Shine Gel and any oil moisturizer

ETA: After I do conditioner washes, my hair is shiny:)

Last edited: