Need advice.... not sure of what to do. (with pics)

Iluvsmuhgrass

Ladies I Need advice about thin hair (pics)

Hey ladies,

I've posted before asking where I was with length.... well this is a different problem. My hair is thin. It sheds (thankfully alot less breakage thanks to Emergencee) but not as bad. I lose a few strands a day.... but because my hair's very fine.... I'm all self-conscious. My hair will never be thick... it's just not in my genetics. My ends are see through.... they always are. I can cut my hair and because it's thin and fine you can still see through the ends. It's driving me nuts because it's moisturized and healthy and growing..... but it looks thin. I have it cut into layers, it's healthy and got good shine.....what should/can I do?

LAYDEE

Hey.:yay:I also have fine hair. but i noticed that after doing my protein treatments my hair has more body and it feels alittle thicker-i use Joico K-pak. Also, i just ordered some cassia(neutral henna-doesnt change color of hair)-and its known for conditioning and thickening your hair. FlawedBeauty just started using it and she said she felt the difference in her hair. -OR- you can jump on the henna wagon-pm sareca and she can give you the 411. HTH

shunta

Are you taking vitamins? For the most part, I think its genetics. Has your hair ever been thick?

shunta

Prayingforprogress said:
You said you hair is layered? Maybe if you let the layers grow out and just have your hair at one length it would look thicker?
I agree, let your layers grow out.

joyous

I have the same problem. I agree that if you let the layers grow out it will probably look thicker. Also henna may help, but be careful it can be drying and B-5 in known for promoting thicker hair. By the way your hair still looks beautiful and very healthy.

MizaniMami

I have seen ladies here go from extrmemly see-through ends to wonderful thick ends. It is all about sacrafice. And what you are willing to do to get that thickness.

No relaxing more than every 8 weeks.

Protective styling

No heat-or atleast long intervals without heat

Moisturizing everyday

And deep conditioning atlease once a week!

I think everyone is capable of doing it. it's just about how much you are willing to do. I think that avoiding heat is themost important thing. That heat is killer to relaxed hair.

Denim And Leather

I feel your pain, chicka! :kiss: I know what it's like to have wimpy-fine hair and pitiful see-through ends.

You should definitely grow out your layers (I have layers as well and am growing them out) to add to the thickness. Maybe you should do rollersets as well to add body to your hair.

BTW, your hair looks healthy, shiny and pretty! :)

~Nigeria~

I agree with other's that layers do not compliment fine/thin hair. My hair is in layers right now and I am definitely trying to grow that out so I can get a blunt cut.

Last edited:

Iluvsmuhgrass

Hi thanks for responding.

I'm wanting to use henna sooooooooo bad but my hair is so fickle (and I have highlights) that I'm afraid. I would soooooo love to try it because I think dark auburn is sexy hehe!

I'm taking vitamins a regular multivitamin and nioxin... my hair's never been thick but I have had decent growth.

Laydee, I think I might try that. Nexxus gave me body but my hair needed moisture so bad..... It didn't break but man was it a tangled mess.

Thank you Joyous and Denim! I really appreciate your comments! I'm trying to take care of it. I can't wait to see where I am in late December.

Last edited:

Iluvsmuhgrass

I forgot to add that I do stretch my relaxers from 8-12 weeks atleast. I haven't used heat in about a year and alcohol is a no-no when it comes to my grass. I've learned alot since being on this board!

neena

MizaniMami said:
I have seen ladies here go from extrmemly see-through ends to wonderful thick ends. It is all about sacrafice. And what you are willing to do to get that thickness.

No relaxing more than every 8 weeks.

Protective styling

No heat-or atleast long intervals without heat

Moisturizing everyday

And deep conditioning atlease once a week!

I think everyone is capable of doing it. it's just about how much you are willing to do. I think that avoiding heat is themost important thing. That heat is killer to relaxed hair.

I totally agree with this. After I found this site I started stretching my relaxers and doing some of the other things mentioned. My hair has gotten thick as heck! I also started Texlaxing instead of relaxing bone straight, which also gives the illusion of thickness.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Prayingforprogress said:
You said you hair is layered? Maybe if you let the layers grow out and just have your hair at one length it would look thicker?
I agree. A blunt cut would make your ends look much thicker. My hair is fine as well and in my opinion on the thin side. I like layers but I won't get them because I don't want them to thin my hair out.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I agree w/growwing out the layers, adding castor oil as a pree-poo or to your DC, also try adding a B-5 vitamin and/or biotin to the mix. Rollersetting helps give volume to the hair and pincurling it at night will help it stay full looking over the next few days. Continue staying away from heat, and maybe start DC more often atleat 2x's a wk.

Cayenne0622

I've always struggled with thin hair as well. I noticed that taking care of my hair better and trimming off split or thin ends makes it look thicker and full. Also my hair is at neck length and it looks thicker when I have layers but I'm thinking thats due to the shorter length in general.

Your hair does look healthy and I think dusting your ends a little bit will make you feel better about the way it looks. It looks really thick about the shoulders.

caribeandiva

Human being
i can't relate cause i've always had extremely thick (as in brillo pad) hair. as for the thin hair problem i've seen some ladies' hair here that got thicker after they deepconditioned regularly at least once a week (i recommend twice a week). good luck.