Need Advice!! Prep for a trim at a white salon?

Ms Kain

Hi ladies! I've got a question and I'm hoping that all my LHCF sistas who go to white hairstylists for trims can help me out with this one….

We've all pretty much agreed that aside from a few exceptions black hairstylists have a tendency to cut the hell out of our hair and then try to pass it off as a 1/8 trim! :perplexed Although I love my hairstylist and she's never been scissor happy before, I'm starting to notice that ever since I got just past shoulder length she's been finding every reason in the world to cut my ends! :nono: This happens even when I know for fact that I've paid an exceptional amount of attention to my ends and there shouldn't be that much to trim!!! Meanwhile she’ll call it a trim :nuts: but by the time I walk out of there, the ½ inch to 1 inch of new growth that I acquired within the 15 weeks is pretty much gone and I’m the same length I was before!! :whyme:

I'm tired of arguing with her or feeling like she's going to have an attitude because I'm scrutinizing what she's doing so now I'm thinking about going to a white hairstylist that I found recently. I’ve seen her work on other people (white chicks) and she’s done a great job on them and since she says that she's trimmed and cut African-American hair too, I am thinking about giving her a try.

So here's my question.....

When I go to her for a trim, how should I prepare my hair?

I definitely know that when I go I need to have it freshly relaxed (otherwise it would end up uneven after I decide to relax) but should I walk in with my hair blow dried straight or should I flatiron it? I know that all stylists are trained on how to trim hair but it's my understanding that most of the time African-Americans are trained on both textures while white stylists tend to go to schools that only trained on Caucasian textured hair. So I figured that if I walk in with a blowout it might still be too wavy for her to determine what's truly even but if I flat iron it, it might make it hard for her to tell where or if there are any split ends.

I’m also wondering about products too. Should I put the basics on my hair (Leave in conditioner, serum) or should I go in with absolutely nothing in it?

I know I could ask her all of this (after all I've already asked whether or not she’s ever trimmed or cut AA hair and she said yes) but I also don't want her to bite off more than she can chew because I'll be straight irritated if she says she can handle it and really can't. So I wanted to check in with my sistas in hopes that you guys will have some advice or share what you do when you go to a white hairstylist!

All advice is welcomed and thanks in advance!:grouphug:

~Hera

Goombay_Summer

Because I am a natural I make sure that my hair is as straight as possible and free from a lot of product. I find that most white stylist can handle trimming 1/8 of an inch off of our hair. They'll also give you less attitude and are more willing to take constructive suggestions. I usually frequent such places as Hair cuttery or Supercuts HTH.

katblack

I would recommend if you are natural to stretch your hair before-hand. If this means a blow-out, then I would go for it, as it is one of the safest methods to really get your hair stretched. If you don't mind straightening it that is fine as well. If you aren't natural, I would just recomment that you hair is combed out properly and I wouldn't worry as much.
The best thing for you to do is to make sure that your stylist is trained well in the trimming of hair and yes this mean afro texture hair whether you are relaxed or natural. If they assure that they are, then I would tell them to cut off as little as possible, if you are happy with the amount go for a little bit more. I believe 1/16th cut is less than 1/8th, this way if they cut too much it will be from 1/16 not 1/8 and then some...

Ms Kain

Because I am a natural I make sure that my hair is as straight as possible and free from a lot of product. I find that most white stylist can handle trimming 1/8 of an inch off of our hair. They'll also give you less attitude and are more willing to take constructive suggestions. I usually frequent such places as Hair cuttery or Supercuts HTH.

Thanks Hanna....just curious....do you flat iron it or do you just blow it out as straight as you can? Also you mentioned that your hair has to be free from alot of product. What product do you still put in your hair before you get there?

Ms Kain

I would recommend if you are natural to stretch your hair before-hand. If this means a blow-out, then I would go for it, as it is one of the safest methods to really get your hair stretched. If you don't mind straightening it that is fine as well. If you aren't natural, I would just recomment that you hair is combed out properly and I wouldn't worry as much.
The best thing for you to do is to make sure that your stylist is trained well in the trimming of hair and yes this mean afro texture hair whether you are relaxed or natural. If they assure that they are, then I would tell them to cut off as little as possible, if you are happy with the amount go for a little bit more. I believe 1/16th cut is less than 1/8th, this way if they cut too much it will be from 1/16 not 1/8 and then some...

Thanks Kathy!

Yes, my hair is relaxed and even though I've seen her do some seriously tyte cuts, I don't know what she's like with a trim. I guess I just wanted to make sure that I can help her any way I can with that....

So what do you think about going in with hair products on my hair? I usually use a heat protectant when I flat iron (or blow dry which I rarely do). Do you think that would get in the way?:look:

My Friend

but it's my understanding that most of the time African-Americans are trained on both textures while white stylists tend to go to schools that only trained on Caucasian textured hair

It depends on the school they attend and what type of clientele visits that school. You are more likely to have an AA student enroll at a mostly white school than a white student enrolling at a mostly black school.

Post pics after your visit.

Your Cheeziness

The best hair cut I've ever gotten was from a white stylist at an Aveda salon. She gave me a full consultation and I showed her several pics of what I wanted. She told me what she was going to do before she ever wet my hair and did exactly that. I didn't do any prep work. She cut my hair dry, rollerset it, then smoothed with a flat iron (at my request).

I think the prep works lies with us, the client. I asked for someone with experience with African American relaxed hair. I brought her 3 pictures of the style I wanted. And the rest is up to the stylist. Best of luck!

Goombay_Summer

Thanks Hanna....just curious....do you flat iron it or do you just blow it out as straight as you can? Also you mentioned that your hair has to be free from alot of product. What product do you still put in your hair before you get there?

I usually blow dry my hair to get it straight and occasionally I might flat iron it as well. The only products I usually have in my hair is a combination of Sebastian's potion 9 and IC Heat protector and straightening serum.

detroitdiva

I use to get my hair cut by white girls at the mall or borics all the time when I had a short haircut some years ago. I was relaxed, but they still did a heck of a cut!! I think you'll be satisfied by the results at a white salon, and it make me want to go get my hair cut again by them. Good luck and I would love to know the results!

katblack

Thanks Kathy!

Yes, my hair is relaxed and even though I've seen her do some seriously tyte cuts, I don't know what she's like with a trim. I guess I just wanted to make sure that I can help her any way I can with that....

So what do you think about going in with hair products on my hair? I usually use a heat protectant when I flat iron (or blow dry which I rarely do). Do you think that would get in the way?:look:

The best thing is to explain this to the stylist before hand, get their ok and then go from there. If they seem hesitant, it's up to you if you want to follow up with them.

Ms Kain

The best hair cut I've ever gotten was from a white stylist at an Aveda salon. She gave me a full consultation and I showed her several pics of what I wanted. She told me what she was going to do before she ever wet my hair and did exactly that. I didn't do any prep work. She cut my hair dry, rollerset it, then smoothed with a flat iron (at my request).

I think the prep works lies with us, the client. I asked for someone with experience with African American relaxed hair. I brought her 3 pictures of the style I wanted. And the rest is up to the stylist. Best of luck!

Really? A rollerset too? Hmmm.... I might need to go see if they have an Aveda Salon out here....

Now that I'm reading these responses, I realize that I might sound unnecessarily skiddish but the reason is because I live in a city (not to mention) a state that isn't uhmmm...."ethnically friendly":nono:. In fact, people are more likely to point and stare at a Black person rather than look at us as the norm! So when I meet a white person out here that says that they've done AA hair, I think I am a little more skeptical than I might be if I still lived in say...Atlanta.

But with my current hairstylist whacking my ends and all, I figured now is a good time to look at other options, you know?:rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip! After what you've just said, I see that I need to actually ask for a consultation and see how I feel after that! :grin:

Hera

Ms Kain

I have had good luck going to white stylists, at least with cutting my hair. I haven't had good with the whole flat ironing processes.

That's what I've heard....that it's highly likely that you'll get a good cut but it might be a good idea to forego the flat iron.

*Sigh!* I really wish that our hairstylists could get their act together when it comes to certain things (trimming instead of cutting, being on time, professionalism, a healthy hair mentality etc) because I really would like to give them my business. But I gotta do what I can to save my tresses so....

OFF I GO!!!

I'll let you guys see/know how it goes! :yep:

~ Hera

Dak

I see a woman at Aveda twice a year. When I first called to inquire, I asked who their master stylist was and found a woman that teacher cutting. I scheduled an interview first, to make sure she had no problem with me not letting her wash my hair. With that out of the way, I've found her to always do exactly what I ask her to.

I usually deep condition my hair, roller set, then flat iron. She then flat irons it again, so anything I might have missed is taken care of. She spends about 1/2 hour cutting, I'm always out of there in under an hour. She takes me on time (within 5 minutes), very professional.

Lucky's Mom

That's what I've heard....that it's highly likely that you'll get a good cut but it might be a good idea to forego the flat iron.

*Sigh!* I really wish that our hairstylists could get their act together when it comes to certain things (trimming instead of cutting, being on time, professionalism, a healthy hair mentality etc) because I really would like to give them my business. But I gotta do what I can to save my tresses so....

OFF I GO!!!

I'll let you guys see/know how it goes! :yep:

~ Hera

Frankly - I am done with black Stylists. All's they can do for me is show me a white salon...... Being Shady is not fun for me.

Only white stylists can cut my hair... I go to Supercuts or fantastic Sam's .. they trim after i flat iron. They cut what I want. I will be going again in December - and it is 15 bucks. Can't beat it.

Ms Kain

Frankly - I am done with black Stylists. All's they can do for me is show me a white salon...... Being Shady is not fun for me.

Only white stylists can cut my hair... I go to Supercuts or fantastic Sam's .. they trim after i flat iron. They cut what I want. I will be going again in December - and it is 15 bucks. Can't beat it.

Ok then I'm on the right track then because that's where she works - SUPERCUTS!!! I feel better already!

As for the comment you made above gurl?? All I can say is "Oh my dayum!!!!":lachen:

bimtheduck

When I lived in Austin I had 3 different white stylists. 2 did my relaxers and cuts and the other just cut but they are were REALLY good. One thing they all had in common is that they worked at chain salons that required further and continuing education for their stylists upon empolyment with that salon.

Avaya

Do you have to/should you give them specific instructions like "No blunt cut", "Follow my natural V/U shape"? Will they know what you are talking about (when referring to V/U shape? This really is my only concern. I hate blunt cuts with a passion (on me).

daydreem2876

carpe diem
Now that I think about it, my best cuts have been at white salons... They seem to have more practice, skill at it. It makes sense as they do it more often. Also, the stylists I have gone to comment that it is easier to cut our hair because it stays in place as they part it and go through the cut. That being said, I usually go in with my hair freshly washed, conditioned, no product, and straight. I also have then cut it dry, it makes it easier for me and them to see what it being cut.

Ms Kain

Now that I think about it, my best cuts have been at white salons... They seem to have more practice, skill at it. It makes sense as they do it more often. Also, the stylists I have gone to comment that it is easier to cut our hair because it stays in place as they part it and go through the cut. That being said, I usually go in with my hair freshly washed, conditioned, no product, and straight. I also have then cut it dry, it makes it easier for me and them to see what it being cut.

Oh wow, I never thought about it being easier because of that! Also, since I can't stand to leave my hair without any product in it (it feels dry after awhile), I guess I'll just have to wash it just before going so it doesn't have to go too long without anything in it.

BlackHairDiva

OP, you just opened my eyes!! You just gave me the solution to my problem. I'm now able to almost perfectly straighten my hair. The trimming and dusting is an issue. I think I will got to a white stylist to get my ends trimmed / dusted.

LushLox

You know I speak to a lot of white folks about hair and they have just as much trouble with their own scissor happy stylists just like black stylists. Lots have complained of getting inches of hair chopped off rather than the inch that they asked for.

So you have to be just as selective and careful with the white stylists too.