Need Chicago hair help

hiddy3

Hey ladies!
It's been a while since I posted. Big "Hellos" to those who know me and
a giant "Nice to meet ya" to those who don't.

This summer I moved to the Chicago area (Flossmoor) from the East coast (Jersey, 30 minutes outside NYC). I need to know if anybody knows of a decent salon in the south suburbs. Also, could somebody school me on the "egyptian" salons (what are the salon names? Are they similar to the "dominican" shops in New York?, What price I should expect to pay for a touch up or a rollar set).

Thanks a lot. I really need to find somebody. This head needs some TLC and quick! LOL.

Pallas

SouthernGirl

Hey There Hiddy :wave:

Yehia salon in Chicago does fabulous work. They have locations in Chicago (Hyde Park is the most popular), but they also have one in the South Suburbs. My parents live in Matteson, so I know the area very well.

I don't have the number to the one near you, but if you try information or one of their other locations they should be able to give you the number. One of the Downtown numbers is 312.362.0101. Hope that helps!!

SG

Chaya

Southern Girl I didnt know you were from Chicago! How cool! Anyways I just moved here about 3-4 months ago so Im just getting used to what the city offers in terms of hair care.
No egyptian salons are NOT like what you find and the Dominican salons. The Egyptians specialize in blowdryer your hair straight like you had just ogtten a relaxer. They dont roller set it first, they just blow dry your hair from WET! I used to get my hair done at Ossama's downtown ALL the time. My hair was fierce the first time I got it done, after repeat visits my hair was so dry and breaking and they used to tell my I needed special deep conditioning treatments. Im like " you did this to me!" But anyways that was about 1.5-2 years ago. I went to the downtown Yehia about 3 months ago when I first moved here beacuse this lady there names Valery does awesome eyeborws for $12 ( i see here every 3 weeks now). But anyways Igot my hair blownout after 1-2 years of roller setting and I cringed the whole time. Yeah my hair was straight but all that heat and round brush made me nervous. I havent been back since.
Yes they do rollersets there, but I beleive that they charge you extra. A regular blowdry is like $35-40 and I think rollersets are $40-45. Ive never had them rollerset my hair before.
I would reccomend Sedwicks day salon (www.sedwicks.com) for relaxers and rollersets. Ask for Deneen. They are great there. Rollersets are expensive $40. But they specialize in health hair care there and I always walk out with a deep condioned healthy hair. I only go for relaxer time. They use Affirm and another brand that I cant remember. I always would recommend Ella y El which is a Dominican salon on the westside. They do great rollersets and blowouts for $25. HTH!

IF you need TLC first and foremost, dont go the Egyptians. If you must have straight blownout hair get your hair healthy first. I would reccomemed Sedwicks first to get your hair in order and then venture out to the Dominicans and last resort the egyptians.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
hiddy3 said:
Hey ladies!
It's been a while since I posted. Big "Hellos" to those who know me and
a giant "Nice to meet ya" to those who don't.

This summer I moved to the Chicago area (Flossmoor) from the East coast (Jersey, 30 minutes outside NYC). I need to know if anybody knows of a decent salon in the south suburbs. Also, could somebody school me on the "egyptian" salons (what are the salon names? Are they similar to the "dominican" shops in New York?, What price I should expect to pay for a touch up or a rollar set).

Thanks a lot. I really need to find somebody. This head needs some TLC and quick! LOL.

Pallas
Hey!! I'm from Olympia Fields!!! I went to grade school in Flossmoor.. IJP(Infant Jesus of Prague) Anyway.. There is a Yehia's on Flossmoor Road in Country Club Hills.. I went there in Oct...she did a great job on my hair.. I did have a couple of parts of my hair that lost its curl because of the iron they use..but other than that.. my hair looked great! I think I paid $45-$55.. somewhere around there...

I didn't know you were from the area either SouthernGirl.. that's cool!!! I live in Chicago now..but my p's still live in Olympia Fields.. they've lived there since I was 4..

SouthernGirl

Hey Rushgirl and Chaya :wave:

Glad to meet you guys! Yup, I actually grew up in Chicago but my roots are Southern. I was born in Louisiana and my whole family is from there, many are still there.

I spent most of my life in Chicago, before moving East. I still go back quite often, as my parents and closest friends are there. Chaya, that's so cool you're a Luvabull! I've attended many Bulls games back in the Jordan Hay Days!!! I used to aspire to be one like you :). We can always talk about Chicago stuff- Garrett's Popcorn, Giordano's Pizza, Old Orchard and Woodfield Mall, Lawrence's or Goose Island Shrimp, Leon's BBQ, Bud Billikin Parade :laugh:

Take care,
SG

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
SouthernGirl said:

Glad to meet you guys! Yup, I actually grew up in Chicago but my roots are Southern. I was born in Louisiana and my whole family is from there, many are still there.

I spent most of my life in Chicago, before moving East. I still go back quite often, as my parents and closest friends are there. Chaya, that's so cool you're a Luvabull! I've attended many Bulls games back in the Jordan Hay Days!!! I used to aspire to be one like you :). We can always talk about Chicago stuff- Garrett's Popcorn, Giordano's Pizza, Old Orchard and Woodfield Mall, Lawrence's or Goose Island Shrimp, Leon's BBQ, Bud Billikin Parade :laugh:

Take care,
SG
Girl, don't even get me started on Chicago food!! I LOVE Garrett's Popcorn!!! and Old Orchard is my FAVORITE mall.. LOVE that place..boy has it changed over the years! Goose Island Shrimp..and Beer.. YUMMY!! What is Lawrence's..where is that???

Chaya..I didn't know you were a Luvable also.. I went to high school with a girl who was/is a Luvable.. not sure if she's still there..but her name was Kim..I don't remember her last name.. she was pretty tall.. at least to me..:lol: She would have been from either Park Forest, Matteson, Chicago Heights or Country Club Hills.. we went to Rich Central High School.. at the time of my high school reunion..she was still on the Luvable's.. that was in 1997.. I wasn't friends with her..I just know who she was... do you know who she is?? From the pic.. I don't think I see her.... so she might not be there anymore.

SouthernGirl

Hey Rush Girl,

Yeah, Old Orchard has changed A LOT! It's very nice. Okay, you're making me hungry now!!!

As for Lawrence's, it's really named Lawrence Fisheries but some people also call it Shrimp on the Hill. It's in Chinatown, and I can never remember how to get there. It's one of the places I have my mom bring me when I'm home. I get the 1/2 lb bag of shrimp w/hot sauce, yummy :smile:. It's similar to Goose Island shrimp (which my friends all like better), but I like there's better. It's open really late so we would go after hanging out!

SG

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
SouthernGirl said:
Hey Rush Girl,

Yeah, Old Orchard has changed A LOT! It's very nice. Okay, you're making me hungry now!!!

As for Lawrence's, it's really named Lawrence Fisheries but some people also call it Shrimp on the Hill. It's in Chinatown, and I can never remember how to get there. It's one of the places I have my mom bring me when I'm home. I get the 1/2 lb bag of shrimp w/hot sauce, yummy :smile:. It's similar to Goose Island shrimp (which my friends all like better), but I like there's better. It's open really late so we would go after hanging out!

SG
Thanks!! I'm gonna look it up and try to go while the kids are out for Xmas break..sounds YUMMY!!!! :)

Old Orchard has changed A LOT.. love it!!!

Chaya

SouthernGirl said:

Take care,
SG

Hey fellow Chicagoan! Chitown is a great city! There is so much to do here!
Dont get me started on the places to eat here! I spent a summer here back in 2000 on the UIC campus (right down the street from Greektown on Halstead) I gained about 15 pounds over one summer after eating Mr. Greek Gyro everyday!

And Garretts popcorn, mixing that cheese and carmel corn together <<licking fingers>>. Never mind it costs $1000 for like handul of popcorn though! On yes and Leon's...dont get me started I was a frequen flier on the one on 83rd AND the one on Stoney Island...

Havent been to those shrimp spots though...I will have to check those out VERY soon!!

As for the parade....too many people and too hot for me. I remember one summer I was out there in washington park trying to be cute with some cute sandals on. Girl my feet was so dirty and black from all that dirt out there it looked like I had been playing in tar! Ill pass.

Good ol chitown though!

Chaya

RushGirl said:
Girl, don't even get me started on Chicago food!! I LOVE Garrett's Popcorn!!! and Old Orchard is my FAVORITE mall.. LOVE that place..boy has it changed over the years! Goose Island Shrimp..and Beer.. YUMMY!! What is Lawrence's..where is that???

Chaya..I didn't know you were a Luvable also.. I went to high school with a girl who was/is a Luvable.. not sure if she's still there..but her name was Kim..I don't remember her last name.. she was pretty tall.. at least to me..:lol: She would have been from either Park Forest, Matteson, Chicago Heights or Country Club Hills.. we went to Rich Central High School.. at the time of my high school reunion..she was still on the Luvable's.. that was in 1997.. I wasn't friends with her..I just know who she was... do you know who she is?? From the pic.. I don't think I see her.... so she might not be there anymore.

Yeah Im a rookie Luvabull this is my first year. The only Kim I know of is our choreographer, who IS a former luvabull. That could be her. She is tall I guess about 5'7-5'8. Pretty girl. When did you graduate from high school?

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Chaya said:
Yeah Im a rookie Luvabull this is my first year. The only Kim I know of is our choreographer, who IS a former luvabull. That could be her. She is tall I guess about 5'7-5'8. Pretty girl. When did you graduate from high school?
That could be her.. I graduated in 1987.. what's her last name?? then I'll know for sure.. but if she graduated the same year..that would obviously have to be her..:)

I hope you like it so far!!!

Chaya

RushGirl said:
That could be her.. I graduated in 1987.. what's her last name?? then I'll know for sure.. but if she graduated the same year..that would obviously have to be her..:)

I hope you like it so far!!!

I just PM'd you