Need help now!!! SPLIT ENDS

Amina

I just had my hair cut because of split ends. I was looking at my hair and I seen more split ends and decided to just cut those strands. However, how can I prevent split ends for happening? I am about to panic and chop of more of my hair :angry2: . Also I am shedding hair a whole lot (I guess this is from trying to transition). Please help a sister out yall!!!!!

I wrap my hair everynight with a satin scarf and clip it up during the day with a hair clip.

Last edited:

Faith

Amina said:
I just had my hair cut because of split ends. I was looking at my hair and I seen more split ends and decided to just cut those strands. However, how can I prevent split ends for happening? I am about to panic and chop of more of my hair :angry2: . Also I am shedding hair a whole lot (I guess this is from trying to transition). Please help a sister out yall!!!!!

I wrap my hair everynight with a satin scarf and clip it up during the day with a hair clip.
HI,

Do you use a lot of heat? It could be that or over processed hair OR not enough moisture. You may have to figure out what you're doing. What is your regimen? I used to get them A LOT..like 75-80% of my hair UNTIL I started doing the baggie method (which meant more moisture to my strands).

Kalani

Poohbear said:
Check out this site all about split ends: http://splitends.bebto.com/illustrations.htm

There are links in the lefthand column that tell you what they look like, what causes them, how to get rid of them, and how to prevent them.

Hope that helps! ;)

Great site! Wow, I never realized I was damaging my hair by the way I tightened it once it was in a ponytail. No wonder I had some breakage in that same area where the base of my ponytail was!

Gosh! Just when I think I know it all I learn something new!

Amina

Thanks for the link. :D
I don't use alot of heat. I wash my hair, set it, and sit under the hair dryer. I usually do a roller wrap. I think it might be that I don't moisture hair as much.

tryn2growmyhair

Poohbear said:
Check out this site all about split ends: http://splitends.bebto.com/illustrations.htm

There are links in the lefthand column that tell you what they look like, what causes them, how to get rid of them, and how to prevent them.

Hope that helps! ;)
Poohbear, thanks for this link! One of the causes that she mentions is hard water and she suggests a water filter. I am telling you, my hair was in such bad shape when I lived in an area with hard water. I firmly believe that it is a cause of many problems for hair -- especially delicate AA hair. Poohbear, I hope you wont mind because I am going to make another post about this.

Angelicus

What about doing the vaseline/baggie challenge and/or doing a final rinse with an ACV solution (5 parts distilled water, 1 part acv)? :yep:

Paris Belle

Great advice from Poohbear and Anky.

Wearing my hair up lessens split ends and when wearing it out I use vaseline to seal the ends. Moisturizing the hair is also important and as the link that Poohbear posted says, handling your hair carefully really helps as well. HTH.