Need Help with my Regimne!!!BAD!!!

pbuckley

Ok lady's I have finally jumped on a bunch of bandwagons and I need some clarifications: First off my hair is 4a/4b - I am about an inch past bra strap, so I guess I've been doing something good, - I am pregnant so I have been taking the following supplements faithfully for the last 6 months: prenatal, calcium, MSM, Vitamen E - I have been surging for the last two weeks and I have just purchased Vatika hair oil I plan to incorporate this into my washes. I try to wash twice a week, no less than once a week.

The products:
Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo
CON Shampoo
Lekair Cholestrol - adding Honey and EVOO
Patene Relaxed and Natural Moisturizing conditoner
Neutrogene Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask
Smooth N' Shine 60 second reconstructor (not sure if this is a protein reconstructor or just a good conditioner it does leave my hair w/ an awesome slip)
Loreal Natural Therapy Heat Control
Rusk Sensories Smoother Leave in
Surge Revitalizer 14
Surge Lotion Motion 9
Vatika hair oil
Kera care creme conditioner
Aphogee Protein treatment

So heres my question: Do I have enough alternating shampoo's and conditioners - is smooth n' shine a good reconstructor if so how often should I use it? I have made a lot of improvements, I went from loosing strand on top of strand to a minor bit of breakage. How do I stop the breakage? My hair does not have elasticity how can I improve this and do I have the right stuff in place to do this? Should I wash with shampoo one Sunday, do a conditioner wash on Wednsday, Do a reconstructor on the following Sunday, and then Wash again on the next Wednesday? Mainly how do I incorporate all of this stuff. Do I need to add a light protein weekly? Sorry for the long post but I really really need help!

AllAboutTheHair

Are you relaxed or natural?...oops, in the siggy never mind :blush:

Have you tried the baggie technique? Mostly everyone (including myself) says that this is a great way to preserve the ends and keep them from breaking and splitting. S-curl is another board fav. for relaxed and natural heads. I think you hair may be too dry from overuse of proteins. Maybe you need more moisture + less manipulation. HTH.

Last edited:

Porsche19

Smooth n shine is not agood reconstructor. It's mineral/petroleum based and if I remember correctly, it contains little to no protein.

Try aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor instead... same price range.

pbuckley

Porsche19 said:
Smooth n shine is not agood reconstructor. It's mineral/petroleum based and if I remember correctly, it contains little to no protein.

Try aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor instead... same price range.

Thanks! I will try the aphogee, do you think I should eleminate it from my regimen? I does give great slip.

ChosenbyGod

Hi!

Ok, to improve your hair's elasticity, what has helped me is deep conditioning and co washes.

The 60 second reconstructor is probably filled with all kinds of "cones" right? Check the ingredients and see. If it is then it's not really helping the health of your hair, it's just temporarily making your hair smooth and shiny, which is fine, but do not use this in replacement of your Lekair Cholesterol. 60 seconds is not enough time to do anything to improve your hair's health.

I think you should use the Lekair/NTM Hair mask/Kera Care(is this protein or moisture?) as a deep conditioner every time you wash w/ shampoo. You could alternatate b/w the Lekair (protein) and whatever other protein conditioners you have. Use a hooded dryer for 20-30 minutes or keep a plastic cap on for 30 minutes to an hour. (Sundays, right?) On Wednesdays, I think a co-wash will be sufficient. Like I said, this has helped improve my hair's elasticity. After the co-wash, add your leave-ins or whatever you normally use to style your hair. I think the 60 second Reconstructor could also be used on Wednesdays as a quick conditioner.

The question about if you need a light protein conditioner weekly: Yes. This will help keep your hair strong. Our hair needs protein. If your hair is breaking and brittle, then you should deep condition w/ a light protein conditioner (Lekair) after you wash w/ poo. On Wednesdays, a co-wash with a moisturizing conditioner will bring added moisture to your hair.

So basically....

Sundays:
1. Wash with poo (Kenra or CON)
2. Deep condition for 30 minutes w/ Lekair or whatever protein conditioner you have. (alternate)
3. Rinse out, add leave-ins/moisturizers/oils whatever and style.

Wednesdays:
1. Co wash with a moisturizing conditioner
2. Rinse out, add leave-ins/moisturizers/oils and style

If your breakage is really bad:
1. Use the Aphogee and then follow up w/ a moisturizing conditioner.

The Aphogee should only be used every 6wks or so.

I hope this is clear and helpful to you, let me know if you have any questions!

HHG!!

pbuckley

ChosenbyGod said:
Hi!

Ok, to improve your hair's elasticity, what has helped me is deep conditioning and co washes.

The 60 second reconstructor is probably filled with all kinds of "cones" right? Check the ingredients and see. If it is then it's not really helping the health of your hair, it's just temporarily making your hair smooth and shiny, which is fine, but do not use this in replacement of your Lekair Cholesterol. 60 seconds is not enough time to do anything to improve your hair's health.

I think you should use the Lekair/NTM Hair mask/Kera Care(is this protein or moisture?) as a deep conditioner every time you wash w/ shampoo. You could alternatate b/w the Lekair (protein) and whatever other protein conditioners you have. Use a hooded dryer for 20-30 minutes or keep a plastic cap on for 30 minutes to an hour. (Sundays, right?) On Wednesdays, I think a co-wash will be sufficient. Like I said, this has helped improve my hair's elasticity. After the co-wash, add your leave-ins or whatever you normally use to style your hair. I think the 60 second Reconstructor could also be used on Wednesdays as a quick conditioner.

The question about if you need a light protein conditioner weekly: Yes. This will help keep your hair strong. Our hair needs protein. If your hair is breaking and brittle, then you should deep condition w/ a light protein conditioner (Lekair) after you wash w/ poo. On Wednesdays, a co-wash with a moisturizing conditioner will bring added moisture to your hair.

So basically....

Sundays:
1. Wash with poo (Kenra or CON)
2. Deep condition for 30 minutes w/ Lekair or whatever protein conditioner you have. (alternate)
3. Rinse out, add leave-ins/moisturizers/oils whatever and style.

Wednesdays:
1. Co wash with a moisturizing conditioner
2. Rinse out, add leave-ins/moisturizers/oils and style

If your breakage is really bad:
1. Use the Aphogee and then follow up w/ a moisturizing conditioner.

The Aphogee should only be used every 6wks or so.

I hope this is clear and helpful to you, let me know if you have any questions!

HHG!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you this is exactly the kind of info I am looking for!!!!!

UmSumayyah

Cosigning with CbG. That regimen sounds good. I read once (here) that protein conditioners take better into the hair strand if there isn't too much oil in it. So protein conditioner after a shampoo wash should be perfect. :)

pbuckley

Question in regards to the Smooth n' shine sixty-second Critical Repair reconstructor. Here is a list of the ingredients. Not really sure which of these other than Mineral Oil that would be considered bad. Just wanted to know so that I can keep a look out on future purchases. Whats good and whats a BIG NO NO?

Ingredients
Water Aqua , Mineral Oil Paraffinum Liquidum , Polyquaternium-32 , Glycerin , Caprylic , Capric Triglyceride , Glycereth-31 , Biotin , Calcium Chloride , Cholecalciferol , Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Keratin , Magnesium Sulfate , Panthenol , Retinyl Palmitate , Tocopheryl Acetate , Zinc Chloride , Wheat Amino Acids , Disodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , DMDM Hydantoin , Fragrance Parfum

Cinnabuns

AllAboutTheHair said:
Are you relaxed or natural?...oops, in the siggy never mind :blush:

Have you tried the baggie technique? Mostly everyone (including myself) says that this is a great way to preserve the ends and keep them from breaking and splitting. S-curl is another board fav. for relaxed and natural heads. I think you hair may be too dry from overuse of proteins. Maybe you need more moisture + less manipulation. HTH.

Co-signing with AllAboutTheHair. I love doing the plastic baggie method. I can't even begin to tell you what it has done for my hair :)