Needing Help Transitioning from Pink Original Oil Moisturizer and Hair Tips

Aqua_Ice_Mirage

I've been using this product for a number of years and I've been hearing lots of bad reviews about it, so I'm unsure what moisturiser to use next. I haven't been retaining growth at all, my last relaxer was some time last year. My hair is above shoulder-length and I can't put my hair in one yet (I've never been able to do that! *sob*). I don't switch my hair up as much as I could, my regular hairstyle is roller-setted, then brushed-out curls, which don't look that good to be honest. Other hairstyles I've recently worn are a normal cane-row and a double french plaits (braids). These are the products I'm currently using:

Shampoos: ApHogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair, ApHogee Deep Moisture Shampoo, All Ways Natural Shampoo Moisturizing Formula

Leave-in Conditioner: ApHogee ProVitamin Leave-In Conditioner (mixed with water)

Hair Moisturizers: Pink Original Oil Moisturizer, Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula with Vitamin E Moisture Gro Shining Hairdress

Other Products Used: ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment, ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer, ApHogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor, ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer, Pantene Pro-V Relaxed & Natural Wrap & Set Lotion

*Note* I only started using the ApHogee products just before mid-July

If anyone has any tips to offer me, please type them here, I'd be very grateful.

silenttullip

Well if you want something you can get at a store like sally's or another local beauty supply try GVP Cream or (although its for kids) some people have success with Africa's Best Organic Kids Shea Butter Hair Lotion. If you want a more natural approach try Giovanni direct leave in or qhemet biologics heavy cream or burdock root. All three besides the gvp look somewhat like pink lotion so you can slide away from using it but they're thicker and help your hair stay moisturized. Also I noticed you had a lot of aphogee products as long as your hair isn't dry or breaking your good but make sure you're deep conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner.

Last edited:

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
If you are not retaining any length I would guess from your list of products that there's a protein overload. First let me say this: everything does not work for everybody. You will be surprised who still uses the Pink Oil up here. Secondly, I'm guessing you are a newbie. I suggest you look at some of the articles and posts that will help you with the basics. If your products are oil based then they are NOT moisturizers, oils seal. Water moisturizes. I can yak on and on, lol. but remember for retention there needs to be a balance of protein and moisture in your hair.

Hhg. And WELCOME!!!

BoaterGirlKim

I use Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 Miracle Worker - it's a thick creamy combo leave-in/moisturizer. It does everything the bottle says including moisturizing, detangling, and thickening in appearance. I was using BB Oil Moisturizer until one day after cowashing my hair felt like a helmet -talk about build-up LOL. BB has some great ingredients though such as castor oil and panthenol, and doesn't have mineral oil (though it has parabens) - maybe I'll revisit it and just be less heavy handed.

PJaye

Although I am no expert, I do agree with a previous poster in that part of the problem may lie in the regular use of several protein-based products. One of the first things I learned on this site was the importance of providing the hair with adequate doses of protein and moisture as determined by the hair’s needs and preferences. Fortunately, the best resource for learning the fundamentals of the protein-moisture balance, as well as other pertinent hair information, can be found within the articles of Sistaslick and the following link: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forum6/thread389082.html

In my opinion, changing moisturizers would be of little benefit to you until you are able to construct an effective hair regimen. To that end, I advise that you make a rudimentary list of the basic elements of a viable regimen, as well as their respective functions, so that you have a visual framework from which to construct your routine as you read the various articles and threads (i.e., shampoos, conditioners, deep conditioners, leave-ins, moisturizers, sealants, etc.).

I hope this has helped in some way. The best to you on your HHJ.

Aqua_Ice_Mirage

Thank you all for your replies! I have been looking at several older threads with good tips and recommendations, now i just need to see if they'll work for me.