Neem Oil! Good, but...

Christelyn

It STINKS! I just bought some organic neem oil from the farmer's market, and while I really like how moisturizing it is without feeling oily and how it soothes my scalp, it reeks. The closest thing I can compare the smell to is...well...something cooked. I know others here are using neem oil as part of an Auruvedic hair care regimen, but I've just started doing research on how it helps with hair growth and scalp nourishing.

Just thought I'd share!

Last edited:

jamaraa

LOL...it stinks less than durian, but more than something rotted for several days! That said, you can use it in compounds w/ a very light touch and get excellent results! As its smell implies, it's strong stuff, so little is needed. Don't use it alone, but put it in things. If the oil smells too bad, the powder is far less noxious, tho it still reeks.

Whenever buying any new oil, esp. a vedic one, smell before you buy to see if you can tolerate the scent. This oil REALLY smells by itself...garlic is a positive perfume in comparison to my nose.

frizzy

My description of the the smell is "garlic butt". I will use the rest of my oil as a pre-poo, if I ever touch it again.

I know a lot of ladies use neem powder for their ayurvedic regimens, the powders don't smell.

MissRissa

yeah they say its good to clear up skin problems and acne in addition to soothing an itchy scalp, so i tried oil washing with only 3 drops mixed in with some castor and olive oil. it kept me up all night because of the smell. my pillows all stinky now. Im gonna play around with it im thinking I may add it to my other oils as a pre-poo. im really trying to give it a try for my face, but i dont know how much more I can use it.

Christelyn

I had almost written to use it as an overnite pre-poo, but that is a no-no.

Yes, I agree. If I ever use it as a pre-poo I'm going to have to wrap up my hair tight so I won't smell it. However, I'm working on writing a story about home-made beauty regimes from around the world, and discovered Dr. Hauschka sells a neem oil--haven't tried it yet but the publicists says the smell is more pleasant than the, urhum, virgin form.

ajargon02

It STINKS! I just bought some organic neem oil from the farmer's market, and while I really like how moisturizing it is without feeling oily and how it soothes my scalp, it reeks. The closest thing I can compare the smell to is...well...something cooked. I know others here are using neem oil as part of an Auruvedic hair care regimen, but I've just started doing research on how it helps with hair growth and scalp nourishing.

Just thought I'd share!
Yup you got that right girl! When I mix my stuff up and I use neem powder or oil, I usually try to cut the smell with tea tree, chamomile and that seems to calm it down. Reminds me of cooked/satueed(sp?) onion or something. I didn't mind it at first, but now it gets to me for some reason.....IDK. But basicsally try to "mask" the odor with essential oils.

dcprdiva

I love the smell of onions and shallots.... so I should be good by the time I buy some!! LOL LOL and I don't have a live-in man so I don't care who smells it except for my teddy bear!!! LOL LOL OLOL LOL

25Nona

Yes, I agree. If I ever use it as a pre-poo I'm going to have to wrap up my hair tight so I won't smell it. However, I'm working on writing a story about home-made beauty regimes from around the world, and discovered Dr. Hauschka sells a neem oil--haven't tried it yet but the publicists says the smell is more pleasant than the, urhum, virgin form.

Christelyn, you're right, I've purchased the Dr. Hauschka Neem oil for hair from Whole Foods and I've been using it on and off for a while. It actually smells pretty nice and give good results. I do like it alot but I have to say I alternate washes with that and the natural Neem oil, the smell is bad but to me it's bearable, I use both as pre poo treatments for about 30 min so by the time I'm done with my hair there isn't any traces of the odor.

Ah, neem oil...
To me, it smells like peanuts and garlic. Smells like you should cook with it, but I heard you shouldn't eat it.

*Muffin*

Just thought I'd share!

I know, it smells absolutely horrid, but it's great stuff. I find that the best way to use it (for me) is to mix it with a carrier oil or conditioner. Since my neem oil is very concentrated, I add only about 5 drops of it to my conditioner mixture when I dc my hair. The smells from the other oils I use and the conditioner masks Neem's stank smell.

Christelyn

Okay, so I took ya'lls advice and mixed tea tree oil with the neem and that worked to keep the stink at bay. Funny, the way it makes my hair feel is similar to something I bought from Fekkai that cost me $65. Funny, my buyer's remorse stinks more than the neem does right about now! :wallbash:

Angkin73

I love me some neem oil. The smell makes my stomach turn a few flips, but I try to hold my breath till I get it mixed into whatever I'm using it in.

I tricked my mother into smelling it. Some how she didn't smell it right away when she put it to her nose, so she took a real big whiff of it. OMGOSH, yopu talking about funny. The look on her face was priceless. I seriously thought she was going to throw up. :lachen:
She thought it smelled like really bad or rotten garlic.

snookes

I love me some neem oil. The smell makes my stomach turn a few flips, but I try to hold my breath till I get it mixed into whatever I'm using it in.

I tricked my mother into smelling it. Some how she didn't smell it right away when she put it to her nose, so she took a real big whiff of it. OMGOSH, yopu talking about funny. The look on her face was priceless. I seriously thought she was going to throw up. :lachen:
She thought it smelled like really bad or rotten garlic.
Lol

JJamiah

This stuff smells utterly disgusting. I had a bottle of it and sold it eons ago. I'd never purchase that again. Yuck..