MN USERS, YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK AT THIS.

lisana

I've used emu, coconut and tea tree and didn't see the same results but may try them again in the future.

aquariangirl

I tried the Amla oil and boy does it stink!! So I'm bumping to find out what you do about the garlic smell as I would like to try the oil since my biggest problem is shedding...also snuck in here :look:to say I loved Germany too when I lived there for 2 years...Ansbach, about 1/2 hour from Nuenburg...okay carry on:lachen::lachen:

HairHustla

I've used emu, coconut and tea tree and didn't see the same results but may try them again in the future.

Hi there,

I don't know a whole lot about emu oil but I know neem oil combined with tea tree does work sooo well. Coconut oil does not do a whole lot for me but when combined with other oils it seems to help. I do use it a lot for a moisturizer but mostly skin related. They say that neem oil is wonderful for hair and so far, I have been using it and it has moisturized my hair like nothing else I have used..I had given up on moisturized hair for real! :blush:

Nita81

Have you ever used their products before? This will be my first time. Also, how do you bump a thread?

Yes. I have the amla olive heavy cream, olive detangling cream, burdock root cream, olive/honey hydrating balm, castor/moringa oil, indian macassar oil, and karkady mist.

You can just type ***bump*** in the reply to bump your thread.

HairHustla

o

Yes. I have the amla olive heavy cream, olive detangling cream, burdock root cream, olive/honey hydrating balm, castor/moringa oil, indian macassar oil, and karkady mist. <p></p> <p></p>

You can just type ***bump*** in the reply to bump your thread.

Oh ok, thank you..learn something everyday! Here is some additional info on Neem oil for all you ladies who are interested...working on more info on tea tree too! (Also, are those products working for you well?

How to use the Neem Oil. Everyday use:grin:

For direct application to the skin, take a small amount in the palm of your hand. Rub your hands together to warm up the oil until it is smooth and liquid. Then apply to your skin. If you are concerned about an oily feeling, use only a small amount or apply this amazing herbal combination before going to bed. Relief from eczema and psoriasis is almost instantly seen!

If you have dry, itchy scalp - here is a bonus. This product can also be applied to your hair. Some people apply it before washing to protect the hair from harsh shampoos. It can also be applied after washing as a conditioner. Apply it in the same manner as to the skin.

HairHustla

I tried the Amla oil and boy does it stink!! So I'm bumping to find out what you do about the garlic smell as I would like to try the oil since my biggest problem is shedding...also snuck in here :look:to say I loved Germany too when I lived there for 2 years...Ansbach, about 1/2 hour from Nuenburg...okay carry on:lachen::lachen:

You are a mess...:lachen:Almost didn't see that part...ahem, um yeah I was thinking about making a rosewater spray to combat the garlic smell. I make my own by using rose petals from the online link that I gave earlier, distilled water...atleast 32 oz and potassium sorbate from lotion crafters..this is a preservative. I also use germall or phenonip to keep it from going rancid and so it can have a long happy shelf life. My rosewater smells awesome and keeps the DH comin! LOL!

HairHustla

bumping before bed..gotta get that sleep on its after midnight here. See you all tommorow as we finish this discussion. Thanks so much for replying, this is my first "official" post!

4mia

i like this thread, i want t to try but i have to wait until i get tea tree and neem oil, i only have neem powder.
also i need to get garlic oil i only have garlic juice and it turns my stomack. i have alot of shedding

Used as an insecticide, emmenagogue, antispasmodic, antibacterial, aphrodisiac and antifungal particularly against Candida and Aspergillis. Indicated for tooth care, blends for vaginitis
It is a very effective antiseptic, digestive and anti-rheumatic and is regarded as one of the strongest antiseptic oils. Useful for preventing infectious and contagious diseases

i have this, its the cinnamon leaf oil

Last edited:

Platinum

Y'all killing me with all of this talk about Germany! :grin:I know where Ansbach and Nuremburg are. Suddenly, I have the taste for Schnitzel, Bratwurst, Currywurst, and a huge mug of beer.:lick::grin:

HappyHairDreams

I get my tea tree oil from 2 places, Wellington Fragrance...which is the cheapest but the quality is mid-quality and MountainRoseHerbs which has high quality but at a slightly higher price. I have been dealing with both of these for about 2 yrs now and have not had any problems. Here are the links:

http://www.wellingtonfragrance.com/

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

Oh and I do ALOT of homemade haircare recipes, I get most of my supplies for that from http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ they are pretty reasonable and have great customer service! Hope this helps!

Thanks! I had just found Wellingtonfragrance, but I'll probably give Mountainroseherbs a try.

onejamifan

The garlic oil I use is actually a clear liquid. I know you can find garlic oil on amazon.com, but have not tried the ones on there. It smells pretty strongly, but a nicely scented shampoo usually neutralizes the smell. I've also seen some recipies on this site where ladies blend some garlic cloves with olive oil and apply THAT to their scalp. If garlic oil is not readily available to you, just try the olive oil/garlic blend. It should do the trick :)

Nita81

I use Vatika oil ....it has neem extract in it. Good stuff.:yep:

Dabur Vatika Enriched Coconut Hair Oil Ingredients:
Coconut oil (Cocos nucifere oil)
Neem (Azadirachta indica Leaf extract)
Brahmi (Centella asiatica Plant extract)
Fruit extracts of Amla
Bahera and Harar (extracts of emblica officinalis Terminalia belirica and Terminalia chebula),
Kapur kachri (Hedychium spicatum rhizome extract)
Henna (Lawsonia inermis leaf extrac)
Milk (lac)
Rosemary oil (Rosmarinus officinalis oil)
Lemon oil (Citrus limonum oil)
TBHQ (t-butyl hydroquinone)
Fragrance

HairHustla

I use Vatika oil ....it has neem extract in it. Good stuff.:yep:

Dabur Vatika Enriched Coconut Hair Oil Ingredients:
Coconut oil (Cocos nucifere oil)
Neem (Azadirachta indica Leaf extract)
Brahmi (Centella asiatica Plant extract)
Fruit extracts of Amla
Bahera and Harar (extracts of emblica officinalis Terminalia belirica and Terminalia chebula),
Kapur kachri (Hedychium spicatum rhizome extract)
Henna (Lawsonia inermis leaf extrac)
Milk (lac)
Rosemary oil (Rosmarinus officinalis oil)
Lemon oil (Citrus limonum oil)
TBHQ (t-butyl hydroquinone)
Fragrance

That mixture of the Dabur Vatika oil look awesome! I started to get some Vatika oil and honestly, I may have because I am constantly ordering stuff for my hair...I hope I did but for right now I am really happy with my "home brew"! By the way, how does the Vatika oil smell???

HairHustla

The garlic oil I use is actually a clear liquid. I know you can find garlic oil on amazon.com, but have not tried the ones on there. It smells pretty strongly, but a nicely scented shampoo usually neutralizes the smell. I've also seen some recipies on this site where ladies blend some garlic cloves with olive oil and apply THAT to their scalp. If garlic oil is not readily available to you, just try the olive oil/garlic blend. It should do the trick :)

Thank you for that tip, I probably will be able to do the garlic cloves and olive oil blend easily. I can also cover it up a scented natural hair gel...I buy unscented gel from one of the links I posted earlier and I can put my own scents and essential oils in it and it is non drying and alcohol free...it is actually a hair and body gel so that is an option. Looking for options because my DH has told me he was not havin the garlic foulness going on! I may be able to bribe him though with thoughts of long flowing hair like yours!!!!

adw425

I love both of these oils. I use tea tree and neem oils in my scalp concoction -- also coconut oil as they are all anti-fungal, anti-microbial, etc. It also contains aloe vera gel, cayenne extract, mustard oil and sulfur and olive, avocado and passionfruit oils. My scalp tingles for hours after applying. [My second solution is mostly aloe vera with some coconut and passionfruit oil and does not contain any of the stinky stuff (smile).]

As well, my cocker spaniel had a skin condition a few weeks back and I bathed him with a neem shampoo bar and made up a solution with filtered water, aloe vera, coconut oil, neem and tea tree (just a little tea tree because if a pup licks themselves, the tea tree in larger quantities could harm him or her) and it worked like a charm. A friend asked me why I didn't take him to the vet and I said because they would have just loaded me up with chemical anti-fungal shampoos, medications, etc. and I like my natural anti-fungals better. I also make up a similar solution for cleaning my pups' ears (more aloe) and another one (more neem, also natural apple cider vinegar) for spraying for fleas and ticks and I do not have a problem with fleas and ticks at all during the spring/summer and fall.

I did try the MN a couple years ago after mucho research, but it gave me bad headaches. I then made a concoction of MN with coconut oil and other oils, which did not give me headaches, but, after it was gone, I never used the MN again because I had acquired so many natural anti-fungals, like the neem and tea tree oils.

P.S. When I use up my bottle of neem, I am going to purchase the karanja oil, as it is said to have all the properties of neem without the smell.

Last edited:

HairHustla

I love both of these oils. I use tea tree and neem oils in my scalp concoction -- also coconut oil as they are all anti-fungal, anti-microbial, etc. It also contains aloe vera gel, cayenne extract, mustard oil and sulfur and olive, avocado and passionfruit oils. My scalp tingles for hours after applying. [My second solution is mostly aloe vera with some coconut and passionfruit oil and does not contain any of the stinky stuff (smile).]

As well, my cocker spaniel had a skin condition a few weeks back and I bathed him with a neem shampoo bar and made up a solution with filtered water, aloe vera, coconut oil, neem and tea tree (just a little tea tree because if a pup licks themselves, the tea tree in larger quantities could harm him or her) and it worked like a charm. A friend asked me why I didn't take him to the vet and I said because they would have just loaded me up with chemical anti-fungal shampoos, medications, etc. and I like my natural anti-fungals better. I also make up a similar solution for cleaning my pups' ears (more aloe) and another one (more neem, also natural apple cider vinegar) for spraying for fleas and ticks and I do not have a problem with fleas and ticks at all during the spring/summer and fall.

I did try the MN a couple years ago after mucho research, but it gave me bad headaches. I then made a concoction of MN with coconut oil and other oils, which did not give me headaches, but, after it was gone, I never used the MN again because I had acquired so many natural anti-fungals, like the neem and tea tree oils.

P.S. When I use up my bottle of neem, I am going to purchase the karanja oil, as it is said to have all the properties of neem without the smell.

Wow what an informative post! I especially am interested in the Karanja oil, where do you purchase it from...the PJ in me is about to burst out like Alien Vs. Predator!!! Did you experience the growth everyone is talking about by using the natural components? Also, are you relaxed or natural? I am asking because your hair is simply beautiful and I don't know which way to go but if I can get my hair to look anything like yours I will follow your regimen religiously! Thank you so much for your feedback, I bet your cocker spaniel loves you to death for such great natural caretaking of him/her. Don't forget to answer the questions, I won't exhale till I get the answer (turning blue now)

Last edited:

adw425

Wow...thanks for the compliment. I am natural. I have really been properly taking care of my hair for nearly three years now and I am just not certain what contributes to it growth. I know what contributes to maintaining length, but not sure about the growth because I also take supplements and eat fairly well/right and exercise 250 minutes a week.

I am not sure if my scalp concoctions give me accelerated growth, but I keep using them because they make my scalp feel so darn good. I did start using food grade aloe vera (protein, B vitamins, polysaccharides, etc.) in January on my hair and scalp and (although I haven't measured my hair in months) I do feel like it has been truly beneficial to both my hair and scalp. Therefore, aloe vera, neem and tea tree along with some oils like coconut (just an all-around super oil), jojoba (penetrating), avocado (high levels of vitamins A,D, E and also antibacterial), passionfruit (high in vitamin C, linoleic acid) are terribly synergistic, I believe. Although I have added tea tree to my homemade scalp concoctions for over a year now, somehow (for some odd reason) I considered it an astringent, but I read about a month ago that it has moisturizing properties and that just made me love it more. Tea tree and jojoba is a great combination and I use it for tissue and muscular aches and it is just awesome.

You can purchase karanja oil from snowdriftfarms.com or Nature's Wild Child. I can't wait to run out of neem. My doggies smell like black pepper (smile). Here is some information on karanja.

Also called Pongam or Indian Beech, Karanja oil is popular in Ayurvedic medicine for the treatment of biliousness, eye ailments, leucoderma, worms, wounds, sores, scabies, eczema, itches, herpes viral infection, eczema, ulcers, and other skin diseases. It is said to promote wound healing and is traditionally applied as a liniment mixed with equal parts of oil and lemon juice as an efficacious remedy for rheumatic joints, scurvy diseases of the scalp, and psoriasis. The oil is also used as a stomachic and cholagogue in dyspepsia and sluggish liver. Karanja oil, like Neem oil, has been widely tested for its insecticidal, nematicidal, antiseptic, bactericidal, and cleansing properties. The oil has a high content of triglycerides.

ETA: I just read that one shouldn't use neem and sulfur within two weeks of each other because, I am assuming, neem is also sulphurous. When I just read this, I panicked a bit because I just added sulphur to my scalp concoction on Saturday, but then remembered that I did not add it to the bottle with the neem, so I breathe a sign of relief. I am going to research to determine if karanja is sulphurous as well. It might not be because the neem smell comes from sulphur compounds, but I will research just to be sure.

Last edited:

HairHustla

Wow...thanks for the compliment. I am natural. I have really been properly taking care of my hair for nearly three years now and I am just not certain what contributes to it growth. I know what contributes to maintaining length, but not sure about the growth because I also take supplements and eat fairly well/right and exercise 250 minutes a week.

I am not sure if my scalp concoctions give me accelerated growth, but I keep using them because they make my scalp feel so darn good. I did start using food grade aloe vera (protein, B vitamins, polysaccharides, etc.) in January on my hair and scalp and (although I haven't measured my hair in months) I do feel like it has been truly beneficial to both my hair and scalp. Therefore, aloe vera, neem and tea tree along with some oils like coconut (just an all-around super oil), jojoba (penetrating), avocado (high levels of vitamins A,D, E and also antibacterial), passionfruit (high in vitamin C, linoleic acid) are terribly synergistic, I believe. Although I have added tea tree to my homemade scalp concoctions for over a year now, somehow (for some odd reason) I considered it an astringent, but I read about a month ago that it has moisturizing properties and that just made me love it more. Tea tree and jojoba is a great combination and I use it for tissue and muscular aches and it is just awesome.

You can purchase karanja oil from snowdriftfarms.com or Nature's Wild Child. I can't wait to run out of neem. My doggies smell like black pepper (smile). Here is some information on karanja.

Also called Pongam or Indian Beech, Karanja oil is popular in Ayurvedic medicine for the treatment of biliousness, eye ailments, leucoderma, worms, wounds, sores, scabies, eczema, itches, herpes viral infection, eczema, ulcers, and other skin diseases. It is said to promote wound healing and is traditionally applied as a liniment mixed with equal parts of oil and lemon juice as an efficacious remedy for rheumatic joints, scurvy diseases of the scalp, and psoriasis. The oil is also used as a stomachic and cholagogue in dyspepsia and sluggish liver. Karanja oil, like Neem oil, has been widely tested for its insecticidal, nematicidal, antiseptic, bactericidal, and cleansing properties. The oil has a high content of triglycerides.

I just truly like the sound of the regimen you are using, it seems like it is all organic or botanical products and you have had success because you have had growth over the years and been able to maintain healthy hair. I am going to purchase the karanja oil for sure and incorporate into my own hair care regimen. What do you think about amla oil or vatik?

adw425

Vatika has some awesome ingredients, particularly for the scalp (but I have only used it for my hair) as does the right amla oil (the kind that does not contain mineral oil) but, sadly, neither has worked too well for me. They both dried my hair out.

HairHustla

Thanks for information , maybe I'll try tea tree oil .

Hi Cecile,

If you do decide to use tea tree, make sure to mix it with another oil like coconut, jojoba or a heavy oil and be sure to use only a few drops just in case your scalp is sensitive. Good Luck!

HairHustla

THANKS FOR THIS!

I never wanted to use MN, b/c of the mess and other things (I won't mention as it'll lead to fussing :perplexed).

BUT, using these oils in DCs, leave-ins, and adding them to my shampoo is much easier and a great alternative.

I absolutely think these could work. :yep:

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that there are other oils/herbs or essential oils that are natural and great for hair growth too! Here they are:

23Some herbs that promote long hair:

Aloe
Arnica
Birch
Burdock
Catmint
Chamomile
Fenugreek
Gooseberry
Henna
Horsetail
Licorice