New Natural Sos

BlessedXs2

i just bc on the 1st and my hair is SO dry. I believe it is also low porosity. I have clarified and I deep condition with heat with tgin and Shea Moisture. For leave ins I have tried kckt curl enhancing smoothie Cantu and s curl. I’ve sealed with a Shea butter mix and olive oil. Nothing has helped. My ends are terribly dry and so bushy. I’m experiencing ssn and breakage. I’ll be gong to Sally’s and target on my lunch break I’m thinking of getting some of the low porosity line from Shea Moisture and I’ve read about using baking soda but I don’t know if that’s doing too much. I also have clay that I can use. Any advice would be great as I don’t know which way to go next but have a lot I’m thinking of trying.

I am very low porosity so I feel your pain.

I recommend starting with the clay and try a rinse out conditioner for now. Get a creamy leave in and dilute it in a spray bottle and saturate your hair and let it air dry a bit. Then seal it lightly with some type of whipped Shea butter.

Stay away from Shea moisture for now. Hold off on a lot of Shea anything.

What seals for other people just results in build up for low porosity and since we don' always get enough water in heavy sealants block it from getting any moisture from the air.

Don't go over a week without rinsing or shampooing. Your hair needs more water right now.

When I first went natural the same thing happened to me and the only thing that helped was using a very moisturizing sulfate free shampoo. Creme of nature's argon oil (I think) shampoo was super moisturizing for me. After a while I was able to incorporate gentle sulfates back into my reggie again.

@faithVA ok so you’re saying not to deep condition? I’ll definitely try the clay wash this weekend. Any other line I should pick up today if not Shea Moisture

I did notice I put down the Shea butter and used olive oil and my hair feels a little better.

When I first went natural the same thing happened to me and the only thing that helped was using a very moisturizing sulfate free shampoo. Creme of nature's argon oil (I think) shampoo was super moisturizing for me. After a while I was able to incorporate gentle sulfates back into my reggie again.
I see a lot of people have had some of the issues I’m having but I don’t see what their solution was.
I use that shampoo and it seems to do well with my hair

I see a lot of people have had some of the issues I’m having but I don’t see what their solution was.
I use that shampoo and it seems to do well with my hair
I think the hair is in shock or something. Not sure what causes it though but it is very common. It took me a month of no sulfates to get my hair to normal. I know others also do a moisturizing prepoo overnight before wash along with dcing with heat after wash.

If you're looking for a good brand for dc's and sealants camille rose is great but pretty pricey. You could also try baggying like once a wk.

I bought Camille rose dc oyin hair dew and juices and berries and tgin leave in. Man talk about a sticker shock! I could’ve bought someone else’s hair for what I spent. I’ll use the dc and try the leave ins. Hopefully something works because that’s it for the month!

I think the hair is in shock or something. Not sure what causes it though but it is very common. It took me a month of no sulfates to get my hair to normal. I know others also do a moisturizing prepoo overnight before wash along with dcing with heat after wash.

If you're looking for a good brand for dc's and sealants camille rose is great but pretty pricey. You could also try baggying like once a wk.
I see that said a lot but it’s hard not to go into panic mode when I’ve been coasting so long with my hair. I hope this passes soon. I’m going to chelate tonight for the first time ever and then I’ll do no sulfates for a few weeks

@faithVA ok so you’re saying not to deep condition? I’ll definitely try the clay wash this weekend. Any other line I should pick up today if not Shea Moisture

I did notice I put down the Shea butter and used olive oil and my hair feels a little better.
Until you figure out what is causing your dryness just take a break from the deep conditioner. You may not be getting enough water in your strands and then the deep conditioner can block your hair from accepting the moisture from your leave in.

Pay attention to your hair moisture nd softness after every step. If it doesn't feel right at any step the probability it will get better is low.

Right now you just need to narrow down where the issue is.

I like Mane Choice products. The Easy on the Curl is nice.

I bought Camille rose dc oyin hair dew and juices and berries and tgin leave in. Man talk about a sticker shock! I could’ve bought someone else’s hair for what I spent. I’ll use the dc and try the leave ins. Hopefully something works because that’s it for the month!
If they don't work take them back.

Until you figure out what is causing your dryness just take a break from the deep conditioner. You may not be getting enough water in your strands and then the deep conditioner can block your hair from accepting the moisture from your leave in.

Pay attention to your hair moisture nd softness after every step. If it doesn't feel right at any step the probability it will get better is low.

Right now you just need to narrow down where the issue is.

I like Mane Choice products. The Easy on the Curl is nice.
Ok thanks @faithVA I will do the clay wash and go from there. I’m taking notes of all the products I have and the effects on my hair so hopefully soon I’ll be able to nail something down. I’ve calmed down a bit from yesterday lol

I am very low porosity so I feel your pain.

I recommend starting with the clay and try a rinse out conditioner for now. Get a creamy leave in and dilute it in a spray bottle and saturate your hair and let it air dry a bit. Then seal it lightly with some type of whipped Shea butter.

Stay away from Shea moisture for now. Hold off on a lot of Shea anything.

What seals for other people just results in build up for low porosity and since we don' always get enough water in heavy sealants block it from getting any moisture from the air.

Don't go over a week without rinsing or shampooing. Your hair needs more water right now.

I second this.

Try to get the water it and if you can, apply leave in to soaking wet hair. Then seal. Stay away from Shea Butter until you have your hair in a better state to handle it. It took me years to make my way back from Shea Butter.

I second this.

Try to get the water it and if you can, apply leave in to soaking wet hair. Then seal. Stay away from Shea Butter until you have your hair in a better state to handle it. It took me years to make my way back from Shea Butter.
Thank you! I was hoping you’d chime in your advice has always been spot on even guessing my hair type (which I see now why it totally doesn’t matter!!)

I'm not trying to disparage you in any way OP -- just thinking out loud -- what do most men do? Water and some grease, right? Maybe that's what you could start with?

I don't know any of my friends, father, uncle's, male family friends who cut their hair and had a TWA talking about porosity or complaining about dryness. They also don't you 50-11 products. Maybe there's a simplicity that we're missing that would allow us to get past the awkward stage without hassle and heartache.

Tagging @I Am So Blessed to bring in some advice about Blue Magic.

I know how you feel. Nothing seemed to work on my hair. I have and still have puffy ends from where I made the cut at the demarcation line. Everything I used felt like i rinsed it down the drain afterwards. I used bentonite clay one time followed by deep conditioning under the dryer and it was like a new head of hair

Thank you! I was hoping you’d chime in your advice has always been spot on even guessing my hair type (which I see now why it totally doesn’t matter!!)
You’re welcome!

When I big chopped, my hair was really dry. My only guess is that it was because natural hair just requires different care since it's not undergoing much stress. Meaning simplified care but knowing that it needs more moisture. Once I got that I was good. Like @faithVA i stopped deep conditioning. For about a good three months. It definitely worked. But make sure to have a good leave in and sealant.

I'm not trying to disparage you in any way OP -- just thinking out loud -- what do most men do? Water and some grease, right? Maybe that's what you could start with?

I don't know any of my friends, father, uncle's, male family friends who cut their hair and had a TWA talking about porosity or complaining about dryness. They also don't you 50-11 products. Maybe there's a simplicity that we're missing that would allow us to get past the awkward stage without hassle and heartache.

Tagging @I Am So Blessed to bring in some advice about Blue Magic.
No you’re right I do need / want a simple regimen so I can actually keep up with it
Goes to show sometimes too much information can also hinder you. That’s why I started this thread because I know if it was left up to me I’d do the most in hopes of something working.

Last edited:
I know how you feel. Nothing seemed to work on my hair. I have and still have puffy ends from where I made the cut at the demarcation line. Everything I used felt like i rinsed it down the drain afterwards. I used bentonite clay one time followed by deep conditioning under the dryer and it was like a new head of hair
It’s just good to hear I’m not alone! I think I did a good job of cutting right at the line of demarcation so it makes me wonder if scab hair is really a thing. I don’t want to go cutting my hair even more though to find out. I’ll definitely be doing the clay mask tomorrow and take slow from there

Quick update in case someone else is dealing with the same. I did the Bentonite clay wash and it made an immediate difference in my hair. Instead of standing straight up in a huge Afro it laid down so that told me my hair was moisturized. I didn’t dc after because it felt so good. I’ve just been M/S all week and it does feel dry at the end of the day but much better than it did before. This is a good starting place for me and the breakage has stopped. Thank you everyone for your help

I'm also low porosity. I couldn't use Shea butter for the first few years. It just sat on top of my hair and looked white. I liked castor oil to seal my ends, and olive or grapeseed oil for my length. I also used to put castor oil in my leave in spray.

I agree with frequent washing (alternate shampooing and co-washing). For me, co-washing alone caused buildup. When I first went natural my hair was really dry. I would wash every 2-3 days or so, and spray every day with my leave in spray. It took a while to get to the point where I could wash every two weeks.

I'm also low porosity. I couldn't use Shea butter for the first few years. It just sat on top of my hair and looked white. I liked castor oil to seal my ends, and olive or grapeseed oil for my length. I also used to put castor oil in my leave in spray.

I agree with frequent washing (alternate shampooing and co-washing). For me, co-washing alone caused buildup. When I first went natural my hair was really dry. I would wash every 2-3 days or so, and spray every day with my leave in spray. It took a while to get to the point where I could wash every two weeks.

My initial plan was to wash frequently but I get SSN if my hair isn’t stretched. On wash day I do twist to set for the week and take them out for a puff. It takes forever to dry so I haven’t been co washing like I planned. Maybe my ends will be dry enough in the morning? Idk I may try that soon. If the ends are stretched that’s all I’m really looking for (just thinking out loud)

I have a ton of Shea butter I hope to use soon. For now I’m using olive oil and that’s never done me wrong. This is just like the beginning of my relaxed hair journey

My initial plan was to wash frequently but I get SSN if my hair isn’t stretched. On wash day I do twist to set for the week and take them out for a puff. It takes forever to dry so I haven’t been co washing like I planned. Maybe my ends will be dry enough in the morning? Idk I may try that soon. If the ends are stretched that’s all I’m really looking for (just thinking out loud)

I have a ton of Shea butter I hope to use soon. For now I’m using olive oil and that’s never done me wrong. This is just like the beginning of my relaxed hair journey

I used to wash with my hair in large twists. I would put rollers on my ends to keep them stretched while washing. That helped with SSKs.

You just bad? Research "scab hair" and keep babying your hair till it acts right.
you just bad? I’m not following

I’ve done basic reading on scab hair. Not sure if it’s real or not just know my ends feel like crap lol but I’m not willing to chance the bit of length I have to test it out. Lol

Back