New Nioxin Smoothing System

CocoaButterflyy

Has anyone tried this new line by Nioxin called smoothing System? I got the Smoothing Actives sample kit for non chemically enhanced hair (they also have one for chemically enhanced hair) from BeautyFirst today and just washed my hair with it... so far so good. The kit had a moisturizing cleanser, moisturizing scalp therapy,silk elixer, pure shine gel and finishing creme in it for $15.

I looked online and this line is relatively new (came out this fall) and here is what I found:

Wiry, coarse-textured hair is just as prone to thinning and shedding as its fine-limp counterpart. And with its new Smoothing System for medium-to-coarse hair, Nioxin Research Laboratories is attempting to give it the TLC it needs to look its best.

Because thinning isn’t as readily apparent with coarse hair as it is with fine limp hair, it can often go undiagnosed considerably longer than it should, forcing its sufferers to try to play catch-up. And while Nioxin doesn’t purport to re-grow hair with any of its products — à la potions such as Rogaine — it does aim to create a “better-quality scalp condition.” This, in turn, is designed to have a positive impact on the hair follicle while it’s still in the all-important growth phase.

That core company premise is woven throughout the 12-item Smoothing System. Billed as the “first-ever comprehensive scalp care system” for medium-to-coarse, unruly hair, the collection is organized into two broad categories: Smoothing Protectives for chemically enhanced hair and Smoothing Actives for nonchemically enhanced hair.

While each group contains the same four items — Moisturizing Cleanser, Moisturizing Scalp Therapy, Bionutrient Moisturizing Treatment and Cytonutrient Treatment — they’re based on different ingredient complexes. Glyco-Fused complex, contained in the Protectives products, is made from herbs and botanicals said to guard the scalp from the irritating effects of residues left from chemical processing. Activ-Renewal complex, in the Actives subrange, boasts a concentrated blast of white tea extract, which the company maintains “helps defy the visible signs of aging.”

A third group of products — Smoothing Reflectives — comprises four styling items suitable for chemically and nonchemically enhanced hair: Silk Elixir, Pure Shine Gel, Finishing Crème and Fast Control Non-Aerosol Hairspray.

The entire Smoothing range, which has suggested retail price points of $7.99 to $32.50, is underpinned by a proprietary complex called SmoothPlex. Derived from kukui oil and silk amino acids, the complex is meant to smooth the hair cuticle and enhance shine. According to Attenborough, the Smoothing collection was created to provide moisturization minus the product buildup, resins and damaging alcohols typically associated with items for coarse hair.

Re: Nioxin Smoothing System

Hi, I posted a question earlier but got no answers /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I got the Nioxin Smoothing Actives starter kit on ebay but I have not received it yet. It was 28.98 with shipping.

oh ok. I just washed with the moisturizing cleanser, moisturizing scalp therapy and then left on the silk elixer and had some pretty good results (I'll post some pics in my album later tonight). Hopefully you will have the same

Yes, I hope to see good results. I'm using it for a good exfoliation of my scalp. Was the moisturizing cleanser and scalp therapy detangling at all?

Shalom,

Excuse me for asking as this may be apparent to others. Does this product straighten your hair? If so, do you apply it as you would a relaxer?

Thanks

Ps. I am a new here.

[ QUOTE ]
Isha said:
Shalom,

Excuse me for asking as this may be apparent to others. Does this product straighten your hair? If so, do you apply it as you would a relaxer?

Thanks

Ps. I am a new here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi! /images/graemlins/wave.gif
No, Nioxin is not a relaxer. Nioxin products are targeted towards maintaining a healthy scalp which would benefit hair growth. The products consist of shampoo, conditioner, and styling products. I cannot remember her name but another member tried this and loved it. Maybe someone would be able to find the post and bump it.

Welcome!!
No It's just a product that helps with thinning and shedding hair and promotes a healthy scalp. I think the word smoothing is used because most people with "medium-to-coarse hair" are looking for a smoothing or taming effect. I have natural hair myself.

I've been using it since Ms. K posted about it and I love it! I've added it to my rotation. /images/graemlins/up.gif

Back