New To Forum - Introduction - Greasy Hair Question

StarQuality

INTRODUCTION

Hi, I just recently found this forum and wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm from Dallas and college DESTROYED my hair! The stress gave me bald spots and massive amounts of shedding. Well, since graduating, I began to do some research on the net and I guess with all of the education I got none of it included the vast amounts of information that I found on here. In the past few months my bald spots filled in and have elasticity in my strands. (I've never been able to "stretch" a strand of my hair before it broke until now) I'm in the process of getting a hair "regimen" and basically I currently wash once a week with protein treatments and go to the "beauty shop" every other week. I am relaxed and my hair barely touched my shoulders. My hair takes a relaxer VERY WELL and usually gets REALLY straight, and REALLY silky, REALLY fast. I'm getting Nourishhair from GNC this week, because I've heard of wonderful results from vitamins. I think I'm falling in love with this forum because seeing pics from one year to another of some of your hair, really makes me think I can do this. My ultimate goal is bra length (I would be in HEAVEN) but for now I want true shoulder length and HEALTHY hair.

1st HAIR QUESTION

I really wonder if I'm the only person with african american hair who has this problem. I read so much about moisture and how it is essential for hair, so there must be a difference between moisture and greasy. Two days after I wash my hair or go to the salon, my hair gets completely GREASY from scalp to end! Its the weirdest thing. My stylist and I have tried extra pooing and no greasy products AT ALL. Still, greasy hair. Does anyone else have this problem or could possibly have some suggestions? I want to wash twice a week, but styling this weird head of hair is more of a challenge than washing it.

I hope I haven't been too long winded. I thank you all in advance for any responses. I really believe you all are a god send. Information is Power!

brickhouse

Welcome Star, you will meet some really nice ladies, but I'm sorry I could not answer your question because my hair tends to be dry.

Neen

Hello
and welcome

What do you put on your hair? What type of hair do you have? fine, thin, coarse, kinky, curly? That can have alot to do with it. Could you tell me what your hairdresser does step by step?

Also, greasy doesn't necessarily mean moisturized. My hair can be dry as all get out and still be greasy, ya know? A lot of products just 'sit' on top of your hair, especially those that are petroleum based.

myco

[ QUOTE ]
StarQuality said:
1st HAIR QUESTION

I really wonder if I'm the only person with african american hair who has this problem. I read so much about moisture and how it is essential for hair, so there must be a difference between moisture and greasy. Two days after I wash my hair or go to the salon, my hair gets completely GREASY from scalp to end! Its the weirdest thing. My stylist and I have tried extra pooing and no greasy products AT ALL. Still, greasy hair. Does anyone else have this problem or could possibly have some suggestions? I want to wash twice a week, but styling this weird head of hair is more of a challenge than washing it.[ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forum! I don't think your question is that off the wall. Moisture is more of an internal thing while greasy is more on the surface. When I think of greasy but dry hair, Pink Oil Moisturizer comes to mind. That stuff would make my hair look like I poured a bottle of olive oil on my hair, but it would feel so rough, crunchy, and just coated. Moisturized is more like after you get through conditioning your hair and you let it dry and it has this really "squeezable", "soft", and "smooth" feeling to it. It's hard to explain, but elasticity is a good sign of hair that is being properly moisturized.

What kind of maintenance products are you using after you leave the salon? If I want to wear my hair down, I can't put anything oil based on it once I take it out of the rollerset. It will go competely limp and stringy, regardless of how "light" the product claims to be.

You might also have an extra oily scalp, which is not necessarily a bad thing. The next time you wash your hair, try roller setting without any products on your scalp. If you absolutely have to use something, maybe you can put a small amount of serum mixed with diluted setting lotion on the last 1/4 inch of your ends just to prevent frizziness. Then over the next couple of days check your scalp to see how much oil it's producing on it's own and if it's just traveling down your hair. If that turns out to not be the issue, you can probably start to check out the products that you're using. They might not look greasy, but whatever oils they contain might be too heavy.

HTH

StarQuality

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

Neen - Even after 8 weeks of no relaxer, the length of my hair is fine, only that new growth is "thick", you all know what I mean. As far as what my stylist does. Hmmm....
lets see, cream of nature shampoo, then paul mitchell tee tree shampoo, for that overal tingly minty feeling, protein treatment, conditioner for about 8 min. after that's washed out, a leave in conditioner, then foaming lotion and rollers. I'm pretty sure that's it. I hope that answered the question.

Myco - After leaving "the shop" I have learned not to use any products until it's time to wash again. Even at "the shop" and at home, I rollerset my hair after a leave in conditioner, and moitions foaming setting lotion. At home I air dry, at "the shop" I sit under the dryer. After I take all of the rollers out, wrap and roll! No sprays or finishes, I own hair polisher, but I rarely use it.

You guys are great!

jaibee

Welcome to LHCF! I see two products that might be affecting your hair:

1. Cream of nature shampoo. Some people swear by that stuff, but when i used to use it that stuff just sat on my hair. It looked like it was greasy but it felt hard to the touch. I later found out that it has balsam in it, which coats some african-american hair. Once I stopped using that shampoo and used one that was more moisturizing without balsam, I didn't have greasy hair anymore.

2. The paul mitchell tea tree shampoo. This gives a great tingly feeling, but I know when I used it on my hair it made it really puffy and dry. If you are using this, you probably need to use a HEAVY DUTY moisturizing shampoo afterwards, and if you are doing a protein treatment (which can make your hair hard), make sure you follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Maybe you should try Elucence Moisture Benefits shampoo, or if you want to use a Paul Mitchell product I would recommend Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Shampoo. I don't think mixing the CON and the Paul Mitchell tea tree shampoo is a good idea.

Good luck, and I'm sure the ladies here will give you lots of suggestions and that you will get lots of good info just from looking through the forum!

[ QUOTE ]
StarQuality said:
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

Neen - Even after 8 weeks of no relaxer, the length of my hair is fine, only that new growth is "thick", you all know what I mean. As far as what my stylist does. Hmmm....
lets see, cream of nature shampoo, then paul mitchell tee tree shampoo, for that overal tingly minty feeling, protein treatment, conditioner for about 8 min. after that's washed out, a leave in conditioner, then foaming lotion and rollers. I'm pretty sure that's it. I hope that answered the question.

Myco - After leaving "the shop" I have learned not to use any products until it's time to wash again. Even at "the shop" and at home, I rollerset my hair after a leave in conditioner, and moitions foaming setting lotion. At home I air dry, at "the shop" I sit under the dryer. After I take all of the rollers out, wrap and roll! No sprays or finishes, I own hair polisher, but I rarely use it.

You guys are great!

[/ QUOTE ]

StarQuality

You know Jaibee, now that you bring that to my attention. That makes a lot of sense. I was reading that there are different kinds of CON and I have the "moisturizing" one in the green and yellow bottle. I want to try that Elucence but I'll have to wait until the other bottle is done. I don't want to become a PJ!

Re: New To Forum - Introduction - Greasy Hair Ques

Welcome StarQuality!

I have this problem too. I noticed that certain products just sit on my hair, such as Isoplus, Hot Six Oil, and grease that gets on my hair instead of just my scalp. When this happens, I wash with IC Tea Shampoo and use products that are not heavy like Surge Woojee Cream and Revitalizer.

StarQuality

Re: New To Forum - Introduction - Greasy Hair Ques

So is this the surge that I've been reading so much about???/ How does this work for you? And sometimes I feel like its not product just my hair creating grease, do you feel this way?