New To This

shelli4018

Hello everyone. I just stumbled across this website this morning. My hair is giving me fits! It's thick, dry and prone to breakage at the nape. My bathroom is full of hair care products but I find many of them make my hair stiff. Infusium, Joico, Motions, and Carols Daughter has worked well for me in the past. Currently I'm using that new Pantene line for relaxed hair. Anyway, I guess I'll try the supplemets mentioned in so many posts. But I'm stuck figuring out how to wear my hair in protective styles. There aren't that many to choose from if your hair is medium length or short. Any suggestions?
[image]http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/shelli4018/vwp?.dir=/Shelli&.src=ph&.dnm=shelli_mom.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/shelli4018/lst%3f%26.dir=/Shelli%26.src=ph%26.view=t[/image]

UmSumayyah

Keep reading/researching, and try to keep your routine simple. I'm still working on mine but bit by bit, I'm getting it.
Welcome to the board.

Paris Belle

Welcome to the board! Do a search for protective styles..

If you can put your hair in a french twist, this is also a protective style..

Kaela

welcome to the board! When you said that products made your hair stiff, was this upon the first time you used it or did it occur over time? Did you clarify your hair periodically?

Tracy

Shelli,

Many times breakage at the nape means lack of attention to that area and/or improper rinsing of realxers from the area because it's underneath all of your other hair, hard to see and easy to miss on all counts. Try making sure to ask your stylist for additional rinsing and neutralizing at the nape if you relax (I'm assuming you are because of the Pantene).

Also make sure you apply plenty of deep conditioner to that area and if you do oil treatments make sure to add a little extra there as well.

You gave a list of products that worked for you in the past - maybe try returning to them for a while and see if your hair improves.

If you put in some more detail about your regime you may get some more specified info about your problems. The ladies here are very helpful! Welcome to the board - and good luck!

shelli4018

Tracy,
You may have a point about not rinsing the relaxer from my hair thoroughly. I put my own in. Lately I've been rinsing my hair ,after relaxing and/or shampooing, bending over the sink. But I've read posts suggesting the shower may be a better option.
Anyway, last night I bought Nourishair and flaxseed oil capsules from GNC. Then went home to wash and condition (Joico). Before that I put a little Olive oil on my ends before going to the gym. I wasn't sure if I should've put it on my scalp or what! Anyway, I had an interesting time detangling. I may have to by one of those frizz serums to address it.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">Welcome, shelli. If you can tell me how long your hair is, I can give some suggestions for protective styles. And I have to agree with Tracy on making sure that all of the relaxer is thoroughly rinsed out of your hair, especially in the nape area. One way to tell is by taking your index finger and thumb, and rub gently on the strand of hair. If you see no residue of relaxer coming on your fingers, you've rinsed it out thoroughly. Should you see any relaxer on your fingers, keep rinsing your hair and do the hair strand test again. Deep conditioning your hair will also help with the breakage. Suggestions: Cholesterol cream mixed with reconstructor conditioner and a little bit of olive oil. For the ends, olive is good, or you can use mango butter, shea butter, Profective Healthy Ends, or World of Curls curl activator in a jar. Frizz Eaze is another option in keeping the frizz down. Your hair needs moisture, especially on the ends, so the above suggestions will help solve your problems. Anyway, hope this will help you a whole lot. Take care. </font>

shelli4018

My hair is layered. 5 inches-back and 3 1/2 in the front. I have to layer my hair otherwise the weight flattens it out. I tend to cut it because I don't know what to do with longer hair. For instance, last winter I wore it down alot and it broke off where the hair rubbed against the top top of my turtleneck (which I favored in cooler months). That's another reason for breakage at the nape. So I end up cutting it shorter all the time. <font color="blue"> </font>

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">See, that's why protective styles keeps your hair off your clothes, so you won't get a lot of breakage in return. Try asking some of the ladies here what kind of protective hairstyles can you wear for shorter hair like yours. Or, try to search for protective hairstyles here. Take care. </font>

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">Shelli, I found a post from one of our members who also have layered hair, and tried the bun method as a protective hairstyle.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
RabiaElaine said:
YEAH
I've been inspired by all of you hair godesses to really protective style my hair.

I just did a conditioner wash. Oiled my hair with an essential fatty acid oil by nexxus. Then pulled my short layerd hair into a low semi-bun with hair tucked into scruchie.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple"> Try this technique and see if it works for you. Toodles. </font>