Newbie here, but natural for 11 years

ladybuddafly

Hello and Welcome! :D Vkb's post was completely on point. I just wanted to clarify, in case you didn't know (and I apologize if you already did) the distinction between moisturizing and sealing. A moisturizer is typically water-based, since water is truly the master moisturizer, and contains other emollients and ingredients that coat (and, at times) penetrate the hair shaft. An example of a moisturizer would be a leave-in conditioner like Alba Botanical's detangler or Kinky Curly Knot today, as well as Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Cream. A sealer is a product that is not water-based and helps to retard the evaporation of the moisturizer from the hair. Sealers include plant butters (such as shea, illipe, cocoa, etc.). You would moisturize first and then seal. Again, my apologies if this is redundant.

Have you already assessed your hair type? If not, the method most conventionally used can be found at http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types. I personally am a blend of 4A and 4B; I would even argue that I'm 4C in some parts (4A in the middle of my head, and 4B/C on the sides). The hair typing method is used to determine the extent of your curl pattern, that is, how loose it is vs. how tight the curl is. Once you've figured that out, I would also encourage you to check out threads that delineate coarse vs. fine hair. Briefly, you will know if your hair is coarse by looking at the individual strands and evaluating whether their diameter is comparable to a piece of thread, or if the strands are fine. I know that there are threads about this (I don't know where they are, but you can do a search to find them :yep:). I personally have fine strands. In fact, the majority of Afro-textured hair is actually fine, not coarse. :yep:

You have beautiful hair. :yep: I hope that this helps you. Feel free to send a personal message if you have any questions! :yep:

OMG!!! Thank you! I did NOT know the difference. You were so helpful and thorough in your explanation of everything. I've been on here for two weeks and hadn't gotten that info yet.

Pooks

I'm going to be perfectly honest. I have no regimen currently. I'm still trying to discover one. Products - Olive oil, Jane Carter's leave-in, Miss Jessie's Stretch Silkening, Mizani's Serum something or other. But I don't use anything consistently and I don't moisturize nearly enough. Sealing? What's that? Lol...seriously...what's that?

Everyone has to start somewhere babe! The most important things are to moisturise and seal on a consistent basis - intervene whenever your strands feel dry to prevent breakage, (some posters have already enlightened you on sealing) and DC often using both moisture and protein as needed. I love Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner for moisture, and GBP for light protein. Someone posted the Newbie Manual thread, which is also a great starting point.
Good luck!

ladybuddafly

Looks like I'm a 4a! Still don't know the significance of this, but I guess that will be revealed to me eventually. :yep:

chebaby

your hair is beautiful. if you are looking for products to try i would say grab several bottles of aubrey organics conditioner and hit the www.qhemetbiologics.com sale when they have it. like everyone else said you need to moisturize properly and qhemets heavy cream will probably do that for you.
you also want to keep your ends protected since they look long enough to touch you clothing.

chebaby

sealing is taking an oil or butter and placiing it on your hair after you have already moisturized. example: i use kbb hair milk as a leave in and then i will seal it in with shea butter and oil mix.
since your hair seems thick i would try castor oil because it is a great moisturizing oil. some say oils dont moisturize but some oils do nourish your hair enough where the moisture is undeniable.

products you should try:
an aubrey organics conditioners
qhemet biologics (take your pic lol)
and afroveda (dhe has oils, conditioner and moisturizers that i love)

once you start moisturzing properly everything else will follow. detangling will be much easier and breakage will seem to dissapear. also remember to balance your moisture and protein.