Newbie needs HELP!!! COLOR DAMAGED MY HAIR!!!

Dee-Licious

SORRY SO LONG!!
I am a former lurker of a year.. I have received SOOoooOOOoOO much help from the board!! I actually nursed my hair to health after years of paying people to damage my hair. My avatar is my hair healthy.. and it might not be much to others, but that is GREAT for me and my hair though my ends needed trimming at that time. Prior to the board I did not know about good health care. Three years ago I was getting crimps with crimping irons every 2 weeks. After that, I was also a heat junkie on my own; I used either a curling iron or flat iron everyday. After discovering the board, I found out where I was going wrong. :lol: Duh?!?!? Too much heat and NO CARE at all. But now I know better, and it paid off.. my hair was the healthiest it had been in years. I got my first coloring treatment late November, and I just increased my care on my hair, and my hair did fine and looked GREAT. Two weeks ago I went back to the same stylist for what I thought was a touch up of my color.. I came out BLONDE!! :eek: She did the coloring where they pull your hair through the holes in the cap, but she sat me under the dryer for 45 minutes, and then she had me to sit and I watched the last 35 minutes of All My Children before she ever rinsed my hair. My hair looked more so dyed than highlighted like it did the first time. :mad: I immediately went to my family members who put a rinse on my hair, which made it look better but my hair is severly damaged. I NEED HELP!!! I did an Ahogee treatment which helped a little but not a lot. I want my hair back healthy!! *** FYI: I will NOT be returning to the hair dresser who I paid forty dollars to damage my hair!!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Back in the fall of 2002 when I had relaxed hair, this happened to me! I wanted bronze highlights so I went to my best friend's aunt who was a hair stylist (going to hair stylists was something I seldom did) to give my hair highlights. Well, she had one of her assistants do my hair. She used that holey cap thingy and would pull hair through and applied the color. After letting it sit and after washing it out, I was left with blonde chunky sections of golden BLONDE hair! It looked kinda cute, but it was not evenly distributed like natural-looking highlights. People at school would call me the black goldilocks! LOL! But some people at school and work actually liked my hair. Well afterwhile, this color started to take a toil on my armpit length hair, so I had my mom put Clairol Nice & Easy Blue Black permanent hair color in my hair. My hair went back to normal. It felt and looked much better. There's something about dark color that keeps your hair from drying out so much like light colors do. HTH!

Also, check out this thread "Bootcamp 2004 - for colored girls to consider": http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=26204

Take care!!!

Last edited:

Dee-Licious

Thanks a ton Poohbear, and I have read the BOOTCAMP article previously, but it mostly talks about how to maintain the health of your hair from color not how to repair your hair.

My hair has thinned considerably since I got the color. I have been cowashing 3 times weekly and rollersetting/wrapping my hair before sitting under a hooded dryer, but my hair is still feeling like straw at times. I have been using Mizani purphying(sp.?) conditioner and Mane-n-Tail Mositurizing Conditioner. My hair is not feeling stronger or looking healthier; is there something that I am forgetting/needing to do?

Tene

I had damage from blonde highlights last year and getting my hair relaxed. The color had thinned my hair out and broke it off on my left side. What got my hair back healthy was daily co washing and light and heavy duty protein treatments. I also got a couple inches cut off at the hair salon. I was also doing a lot of deep conditioning. I also used porosity control, surge 14, mtg, wgo, and castor oil and started back taking vitamins.

Last edited:

Lovelylocs

Does your hair feel a bit like yarn? Has it lost it's elasticity?

You really need to use a conditioner that is formulated for color treated hair.I like L'oreal COlor VIve Dry Defense 3 Minute Conditioner.

Trust me. It will make a big difference.

Dee-Licious

Thanks.. my hair does feel like straw.. I just spent $82 at Sally's last week, but guess I'm going back for a new color treated conditioner today!!! Is there anything I can get to thicken my hair? I use MTG, but I just spray it on after my cowash before my leave-ins. I am not seeing any difference; is there anything I can put in that will give it a false thickness?

Country gal

Welcome to the board. Glad to see you posting. I had a similar bad experience too with color. I think blonde highlights can be too damaging to our hair. I never had those problems with darker or red colors. You need to do a lot of TLC by way of deep conditioning, protein treatments and frequent washings.

Sorry you had suh a bad experience. Your hair looks good in your avatar.

Lady_Lioness

Welcome:)
I agree with deep conditioning...do alot of deep conditioning with thick, moisturizing conditioners...also you should try alternating between protein and moisturizing conditioners each week...Do you keep your hair moisturized on a daily basis?...if not...buy some really good moisturizers...a good one for example is NTM silk touch leave-in...apply this to your hair at least twice a day. HTHs and good luck!!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
MsDanele1518 said:
Thanks a ton Poohbear, and I have read the BOOTCAMP article previously, but it mostly talks about how to maintain the health of your hair from color not how to repair your hair.

My hair has thinned considerably since I got the color. I have been cowashing 3 times weekly and rollersetting/wrapping my hair before sitting under a hooded dryer, but my hair is still feeling like straw at times. I have been using Mizani purphying(sp.?) conditioner and Mane-n-Tail Mositurizing Conditioner. My hair is not feeling stronger or looking healthier; is there something that I am forgetting/needing to do?
You're welcome.

I don't know what you're forgetting or needing to do. When that incident happened to me back in 2002, I left my hair alone. I would just wash every 2-3 weeks, blowdried, and only used grease in my hair. Maybe give your hair a rest from all the washing and conditioning and styling.