Scissor Happy Stylists and Damaged Ends

My Friend

I too went to SHS and got my home grown swag CHOPPED every visit. I was always told that my hair/ends were damaged and what I thought would be a light trim turned into a haircut :wallbash:

My cousin came to visit me, to my surprise her SL hair is now just above EL. She said the stylist informed her that her hair was damaged and she needed to cut it. I asked her how long has she been going to this stylist she stated over 7 years. She goes every two weeks.

My question is where did the supposed damage come from and who did it? Some sytlist can always spot your "damaged" hair but do they ever take responsibility for it? Do they educate you on how to protect your hair from heat damage? Do they tell you that certain styles could be damaging to your hair. Do they give ANY advice prior to them cutting off all your hair?

Lucia

No they just want you to keep coming in to get it styled, fried, and dyed. They know that it's harder to style short hair and it actually needs more upkeep than longer hair, cause you can't just throw it up in a ponytail or bun and be styled. It's a racket, please check out this thread SHS stylist are not your friend, I have it in my blog too. hth

mscocoface

Stylist can be like drug pushers they need you to keep coming back so they will tell you everything and anything to keep you coming back.

FORTUNATELY there are a few who know what we want, that cutting and trimming are not the business and they are worth their weight in gold.

Chromia

This reminds me of when I used to go to a stylist every 2 weeks for years, and I got a relaxer touch-up every 6 weeks. She pressured me to trim at every touch-up, telling me that my ends were really damaged and I needed a trim. She said this even after I started taking better care of my hair, moisturizing my ends twice a day every day, and I no longer saw splits.

My mom's co-worker has been going to that stylist for years. The stylist recently told her that her ends were damaged and she needed a cut. The stylist took her hair from below shoulder length to about ear length. I see this woman's hair all the time and it was not damaged. There was no reason for a big cut like that.

The stylist did the same thing to a friend of mine, her sister, and the daughter of one of my mom's friends. My friend and her sister no longer go to the stylist.

The stylist never gave me advice on how to prevent the supposed "damage". By the way, after I stopped going to her I went to another stylist for a while. Ther new stylist never mentioned my ends or a trim. My hair got longer with the new stylist and my ends looked great.

My Friend

No they just want you to keep coming in to get it styled, fried, and dyed. They know that it's harder to style short hair and it actually needs more upkeep than longer hair, cause you can't just throw it up in a ponytail or bun and be styled. It's a racket, please check out this thread SHS stylist are not your friend, I have it in my blog too. hth

Thank you Lucia. I read that thread when it was active. What wasnt mentioned in that thread was anyone asking their regular stylist where the damage came from, how did it happen and how would they make sure it would not happen again. I would love to hear what the reply was from the stylist.

I too am guilty of not asking my ex stylist(s) those same questions when I went to salons.

dany06

I have the total opposite problem. I want stylists to trim off my damaged splitting ends and they wont cut enough off. I can't see the back of my head so my efforts to do it myself are futile.

Lucia

Thank you Lucia. I read that thread when it was active. What wasnt mentioned in that thread was anyone asking their regular stylist where the damage came from, how did it happen and how would they make sure it would not happen again. I would love to hear what the reply was from the stylist.

I too am guilty of not asking my ex stylist(s) those same questions when I went to salons.
Good questions, it's a sticky now, so you can post your questions on the thread I think.