~Newbie saying hello~ *pics* :)

NaturalBlackGurl

Hey everyone!!!! :)

My name is Amiee & I'm a 18 year college student (turning 19 in 3 months :grin: ) I have being lurking LHCF for about 3 years before I decided to join two years ago. I've been relaxed since I can remember. I started my hair journey back in March 2009, at the time I was 16 1/2 and was looking into having more healthier relaxed hair practices, when I was younger my hair was always between SL & APL, and as I got older it wouldn't grow pass shoulder length from unhealthy hair practices ex: running the relaxer though previously relaxed ends,:nono: which I believe to be the reason as to why my hair stayed only at SL. I'm suprised I had any hair at all, I didn't know any better because that's the way my mom always did my relaxer and even how she still does hers! :nono: so I looked across this form and looked at various youtube videos and one day came across some natural hair videos. At the time I felt so dumb because I really had no idea what natural hair was. I had been relaxed all of my life and every one around me, family, friends, and people at school were all relaxed. I was so amazed at what I saw and the versatility, as well as the beauty of it, I continued watching more and more natural hair videos and researching more information about natural hair care and even found a few hair inspirations on this forum :yawn:. I learned about transitioning and the BC and on that day I decided that I was going to transition to natural.

At the time my mom was very much against it but I slowly convinced her to let me continue the transitioning process and all of my friends thought I was crazy. On September 24 of 09 I BC'd while I was deep conditioning and detangling my hair. My mom was furious. I started off with about 3-4 inches of natural hair. At the time I had no idea as to how I was going to take care of it nor did I know where to begin, I wasted over $100 on natural hair products that didn't work for me, I tryed using what everyone raved about until I started learning that what worked for someone else's hair might not work for mine. So I kept my regimen simple and my hair started to thrive. Up from September 09 to March 11 I kept my hair in two-strand twists and used whole/and half wigs as a protective style, I got my ends trimmed every 5 months and used heat twice a year which wasn't a big deal to me because even when I relaxed I rarely used heat on my hair, and would airdry 99% of the time.

On June 8th, I decided to texturize my hair for my graduation, I was getting tired of doing my natural hair and the whole process was starting to become bothersome to the point where I started to neglect my natural hair :sad: This is after the texturizer and flat iron.!

photo1.jpg

After I washed my hair I realized some parts of my hair were relaxed straight and a few weeks later my hair started to break and I had a few split ends starting to form. So I trimmed like an inch to two inches off just three weeks ago and having been using more protein treatments and wearing my hair in two strand twists in a bun.

2011-06-13165709.jpg

Last week I decided to put mini twists in my hair and do a length check

IMG_9119.jpg

I am on the journey to transitioning back to natural from being texturized. I am 3 months post. The 24th of this month would have been 2 years natural. I am going for a long term 2-3 years transition before I cut my relaxed/texturized ends off. I feel like with this second journey, I will be able to take care of natural hair even better than before and take everything that I have learned over these past two years from youtube and especially from you guys and use them to take care of my hair a lot better!. I will also start taking progress pics to keep you guys updated seeing as I just started this year. So I don't have any pics of my hair when I first BC'd or from last year. But I'm hoping to reach BSL by next april/may!! hopefully with you guy's help! :yep: :)

Sorry for the long post btw!

Last edited:
Welcome!! kudos to you for starting your journey so young, when I was 16 I was oblivious to anything but the norm. I'm confident that you will have great success the second time around :)

Back