Newbie here...(long)

jla

Hi there. I’m new. I’ve been lurking for quite a while now, and I finally registered. I’ll share a bit of my hair history. I was natural (in braids continuously) for 2 yrs. My hair grew long (but thin), then I had it relaxed. I was inspired by people who self-relaxed, so I tried self-relaxing for a while. It was always seriously underprocessed and with time the relaxed parts have been basically broken off. I had it relaxed by someone else yesterday, and it didn’t take very well. It’s about 50% relaxed. It’s a mixture of all kinds of textured. Some ends are mostly relaxed, the middle(in most places) is just about natural, and the roots are kind of texturized. I’ve been at a loss of what to do. The good thing is that when I self relaxed, I did it with minimal breakage. Every time I have someone else do my hair, they’re rougher on it than I am, and so it breaks a lot during the touch up process. I need help in the following areas:
STYLES: I really need to know how to style my hair which at this point is closer to natural than relaxed. Any style suggestions (which are not time consuming ) are welcome
SHEEN: What products will add sheen/shine to natural hair without making the hair too oily? I’ve tried WGO, but it stinks to death. I would never wear it in the morning before going to work…

Here are some things I’ve learned/ positives in my hair journey.
-Since I started self relaxing, my hair has grown much thicker. Yes, it’s underprocessed but it’s thick.
-When experimenting, give yourself 1.5 to 2 years to see full benefits. E.g. I started with having my hair relaxed, then I went to self-relaxing, then back to having someone do it for me. I don’t know what the long term effects of salon relaxing are. So for anyone transitioning, or for anyone who has just relaxed, give it time before you decide it’s not working.
-Egg + choleseral + EVOO = very soft hair with minimized breakage.
-If new to self relaxing, have a backup plan in case things don’t go as planned. You’re hair may be overprocessed or underprocessed. Arm yourself with info as to how to manage both these situations eg, learn some natural styles in case your hair is ends up underprocessed, and have a good protein treatment ready in case you end up overprocessing your hair.
-If your hair is underprocessed during a touch up, have the underprocessed parts redone. Relaxed hair + natural hair on the same head = breakage of relaxed ends. (For me anyway

I’m sorry this is so long, but it’s my first post, so I’m kind of excited

SherryLove

Welcome....