Newcomer's Growing Out Club - THIRD MILESTONE

LoriLOCX

----------------------------------
THIRD MILESTONE:
----------------------------------

Hello Everybody!!!!!
By now, we should be well on our way to having a pretty nice journal. Good news is, if you didn't keep your info locally, you can go back through the posts and get it!

There are a few members that have questions in the SECOND MILESTONE posting. If you have some time, would you mind going back there and maybe offering some suggestions??? I'm sure they would love you for it. :)

Next reading???? The HAIR BIBLE.....

11.The baggie technique
12.Average hair growth
13.Classifying hair length
14.How long will it take to reach your goals
15.Vitamins

1) Since so many wear buns/phony ponies, do you do the baggie??? How's it working for you?

2) Have you seen any progress in texture/breakage/length/moisture/scalp??

3) Let's talk vitamins and diet. This will probably take up the majority of the post. Share your daily diet, vitamin routine, and the pros and cons.

Ashee

Hello!!:wave:

Next reading???? The HAIR BIBLE..... (off & on)

11.The baggie technique: Take no part in this anymore

12.Average hair growth: A little over an inch per month!!:clap:

13.Classifying hair length: Don't know yet, hair in twists for about a month or two (hopefully)!!:ohwell:

14.How long will it take to reach your goals: A good minute...:lol:

15.Vitamins:Hair Thick Shake, Spirulina, N-A-C, Biotin

1) Since so many wear buns/phony ponies, do you do the baggie??? How's it working for you? Wear buns at night, phony ponies & instant weaves before twists most of the time (90%). Was going pretty well.

2) Have you seen any progress in texture/breakage/length/moisture/scalp?? Moisture much better/ Scalp itching has greatly improved with Sulfer 8/ Texture is looking healthier & sexier/ Far much less breakage/ Haven't checked length yet!!

3) Let's talk vitamins and diet. This will probably take up the majority of the post. Share your daily diet, vitamin routine, and the pros and cons. My stuff is mainly in my journal but I am going through a cleansing right now... :look:

LoriLOCX

Ashee said:
Hello!!:wave:

Next reading???? The HAIR BIBLE..... (off & on)

11.The baggie technique: Take no part in this anymore

12.Average hair growth: A little over an inch per month!!:clap:

13.Classifying hair length: Don't know yet, hair in twists for about a month or two (hopefully)!!:ohwell:

14.How long will it take to reach your goals: A good minute...:lol:

15.Vitamins:Hair Thick Shake, Spirulina, N-A-C, Biotin

1) Since so many wear buns/phony ponies, do you do the baggie??? How's it working for you? Wear buns at night, phony ponies & instant weaves before twists most of the time (90%). Was going pretty well.

2) Have you seen any progress in texture/breakage/length/moisture/scalp?? Moisture much better/ Scalp itching has greatly improved with Sulfer 8/ Texture is looking healthier & sexier/ Far much less breakage/ Haven't checked length yet!!

3) Let's talk vitamins and diet. This will probably take up the majority of the post. Share your daily diet, vitamin routine, and the pros and cons. My stuff is mainly in my journal but I am going through a cleansing right now... :look:

You go girl!!!!
This is good. Glad you're getting results! I'm going to check out your journal. Some posting here might not have one....like me :lachen: Gotta get started ;) This helped alot.

jaded_faerie

11.The baggie technique: never tried it.
12.Average hair growth: im guessing .75inches or so per month
13.Classifying hair length: shoulder length
14.How long will it take to reach your goals: Im hoping by December2006 to be at my goal of midback
15.Vitamins: none as of right now, used biotin before and my hair grew fast and thick!! but i hate swallowing pills...:(

) Since so many wear buns/phony ponies, do you do the baggie??? I wore a phony pony but did not use the baggie method

2) Have you seen any progress in texture/breakage/length/moisture/scalp?? texture seems looser/less breakage/i was shocked how much length I had gained!!!/ since i was co washing everyday, my hair was very moist/scalp itches more for some reason.

3) Let's talk vitamins and diet. This will probably take up the majority of the post. none, sorry :(

missenm

11.The baggie technique
I have never used this technique. I am sure I should implement it. Maybe I can do it at night while I sleep..

12.Average hair growth
I am not sure because I never really measure. I am guessing that my growth is at least average (i.e. 1/2 inch per month).

13.Classifying hair length
14.How long will it take to reach your goals
I would like bra strap length hair with a blunt cut and healthy ends. If I continue to do the things I am doing to my hair (i.e. protective styles, constant conditioning/moisture, protecting ends, stretching my relaxer), I think I will be able to reach this goal within a year. So I am claiming bra strap length for June 2006!

15.Vitamins
I am currently taking Women's Ultra Mega Vitamin and Ultra Nourish Hair Vitamins, both by GNC.

1) Since so many wear buns/phony ponies, do you do the baggie??? How's it working for you? N/A

I have definitly seen a reduction in the amount of breakage and shedding. I am going out on a limb to say that my ends are fabulous!!! I think my new growth is thicker yet more manageable. I know I have achieved length because I got a couple of inches cut off in February and my hair is now back to its pre-cut length. My hair is more moisturized and that is the main reason for the decreased shedding.

3) Let's talk vitamins and diet. This will probably take up the majority of the post. Share your daily diet, vitamin routine, and the pros and cons.
As I mentioned earleir, I am taking the GNC Ultra Mega Vitamin and the GNC UltraNourish Hair Vitamins. I have to take both vitamins twice a day. The pros of the vitamins are increased energy and hopefully healthier hair growth. The con is that the pills are BIG and I have to choke them down twice a day.
I am still in the process of increasing my protein intake. I drink a protein shake on an inconsistient basis but I plan to start drinking one two times a day going forward. I have always loved fish but I plan to eat it more often during the week. I am adding eggs where I can (i.e. salads). I also drink a lot of water. I want to increase my water intake. The pro of my diet is that I am not sluggish during the day. I feel GOOD! The con for me is the focus that is required. I have pay attention to what I am eating. And the protein shake is more of a chore than a delight. It's definitly not a Wendy's frosty! :grin:

Ashee

LoriLOCX said:
You go girl!!!!
This is good. Glad you're getting results! I'm going to check out your journal. Some posting here might not have one....like me :lachen: Gotta get started ;) This helped alot.
Thanks...
I'm updating the journal tonight also!!!
:) Been keeping some notes in my paper one... :look:
How are you doing so far with this? :)

MSee

11.The baggie technique --I haven't tried this the way its described. I tried a form of it once under my instant weave and I was reminded of the plastic everytime I touched my head (or move a certain way). I had a fear also that someone else might touch and hear it :look:

12.Average hair growth ---I'm not certain. I got roughly 2 inches in three months. I only measure just before touch ups.

13.Classifying hair length ----mid neck with a few sprays on shoulder.

14.How long will it take to reach your goals--- My goal was healthy hair and I must say I'm getting there. I'll soon think about a proper length goal.

15.Vitamins ----I have, but I am not good at taking them regularly.

1) Since so many wear buns/phony ponies, do you do the baggie??? How's it working for you?

*My response is above

* My new growth is amazingly stronger. I definately have some growth although I under processed and still get shrinkage of the former new growth. An area in the back that would grow and break has not broken like it use to and has gone from 3 inches to about 5. I do get breakage of the ends generally, not as much as the past and I figure its because I haven't trimmed in 6 months since I ditched hairdressers. My scalp has never been so itch free since I stopped putting actual grease on it. At first it got worst with a horrible form of dandruff so I weaned it with sulpher 8 once a week then went without greasing it for about 3 months. Now I use a little coconut/ teatree oil mix 1-2 times a week. I do put grease on my hair ends though, now and then.

* I know the value of vitamins but knowledge is not power unless you use it and I haven't been faithful to vitamins. I always have some form of protein with my meals. I had to do that when pregnant to keep my blood sugar level (it would suddenly drop) and found that it is worth maintaining. I must have an egg for breakfast, with oats or some other healthy cereal. I try to eat fruits every day and my dinner must be colourful with veggies (I got that from my momma) Thankfully I am blessed with self control (in eating) so although I eat junk now and then its never enough for me to be concerned about. I believe that keeps me well nourished and must be good for my hair. (I do believe I have a mineral dificiency though because I have other minor issues unrelated to hair :ohwell: )

beloved1

11.The baggie technique
I haven't tried this yet. I guess I'm more in the Cathy Howse camp, because I don't really do protective styles. Not that I don't believe in them, but I came to this board because I wanted to figure out how to wear my hair out without it breaking off for a change. I do plan to incorporate this at some point but right now I'm just enjoying having my hair out too much:)

12.Average hair growth
One month I got an inch (very high protein/ eggs month- I had just started Atkins) I would say my average is .75 b/c I've retained 2 inches in 3 months. I am so pleased b/c I was shooting for 2 inches by August and I'm already there. My hair usually stays the same (breaks as much as it grows) so this is great.

13.Classifying hair length- when curled under, it looks like a chin length bob- longest piece is 18" from hairline to nape
14.How long will it take to reach your goals- My overall goal is layered, colored, armpit length hair. Originally, I was thinking 2 years to armpit length (24 inches for me), but at my current rate it would be . . . 9 months! So allowing for setbacks and trims- sometime in 2006! Armpit by June 2006?!
15.Vitamins
I take a lot of vitamins for PMS that actually help a lot with my hair as well- B-complex, Carbsmart with Biotin, Evening Primrose Oil, Pantothenic acid and I eat a high protein diet. My new growth is much thicker, shinier and stronger.

1) Since so many wear buns/phony ponies, do you do the baggie??? How's it working for you? N/A

My hair really doesn't 'break' alot anymore- the only hairs I see are long hairs with follicles and I don't see a whole lot of those (a few a day). My hair feels strong from the weekly protein, and of course moisturized. It is shinier and softer. I always wore weaves and stuff in the past so people at church are asking me if this full, thick, healthier looking hair is really mine:) And I'm just getting started.

CandacyEliz

:p This is my first post, so bare w/ me :p

11. The baggie technique: Can't say I have enough hair to actually do this one right now, but now I'm an incesant moisturizer.

12. Average hair growth: To be honest, this is probably the 1st time in my life where I was actually able to check my growth. B/c of my bad hair habits my hair broke off much quicker than it grows. And just from observing my hair the past month I'd say it grew about an inch.

13. Hair length: My hair is different lengths all over. The sides are about 5" and the back is about 6". I had to cut off alot of damage.

14. Hair goals: If I continue my regime of no heat, relaxer stretches, and constant moisture, Im sure my hair can be below my shoulders by 12/05.

15. Vitamins: I take a centrum one-a-day and fish oil.

1) Sucess w/ baggie: N/A
2) Changes in hair: I know this may sound unrealistic, but in just a few short weeks, my hair has done a 180. My baby doesn't have to wake up to hair all over the bed, bathroom floor, etc and its much softer (and smells better too!) I use to relax my hair almost every 3 weeks :eek: , so my hair was in a pretty bad state, but all in all I have very resiliant hair (or else I'd be bald)

Side note: I didn't know how pretty, soft, and curly my natural hair was until I found this site, so thanxs. I want to transition, but I have to be patient w/ my hair and take this hair care thang one day at a time. :p

Now I just have to figure out how to post my pics :perplexed

xippy

11.The baggie technique: I haven't done this for the last two months. But I do put vaseline on my ends, minus the bag.

12.Average hair growth: Not sure, but I think I get about 1/2 inch per month.

13.Classifying hair length: Last time I checked it was just grazing my shoulders. I'm currently 16 weeks post relaxer, so I'll know better when I relax at the end of June.

14.How long will it take to reach your goals: This all depends on how much length I retain. However, I should reach bra strap by Dec 2006.

15.Vitamins: Twinlab Daily One, GNC Multi Oil, Vitamin E, Flaxseed Oil capsule. I was also taking Ultra Nourishair, but I started to breakout. I'll take that one only sporadically.

1) Since so many wear buns/phony ponies, do you do the baggie??? I wear buns with phony pony. I don't do the baggie with it, because it is too bulky. I just vaseline my ends, tuck them under, then pin my phony pony in place. How's it working for you? It works great. I love the simplicity and elegance of the bun.

2) Have you seen any progress in texture/breakage/length/moisture/scalp?? Since I've stretched for 16 weeks, I've noticed my natural texture is softer. My scalp is very healthy. I oil it routinely with WGO. I just took out my braids and had some breakage. I used apoghee, but I still notice some broken hairs. This could be a result of two textures that I'm now trying to maintain. I CW, but I've resolved to comb my hair once a week at wash time until my next relaxer. Hopefully, this strategy will save me some length. Also, my front edges have grown a lot due to Surge. When I took out my braids, I looked positively hairy. :lol: I could not stop looking at myself. Huge afro, with hair all around my face.

As I said, I'm taking Twinlab Daily One, Flaxseed Oil, GNC Multi Oil and Vitamin E. I've notice stronger nails since I began taking my vitamins every day. I take them with breakfast. Both the Flaxseed Oil and Multi Oil capsule should be taken more than once daily, but I sometimes forget to take additional doses.

My diet is very healthy. I don't eat junk food, drink sodas or eat fast food. I try to follow South Beach Diet principles of whole grains, splenda, and lean proteins. I drink lots of water when at work, but fall short on the weekends.

Since I eat whole grains and limit my intake of simply sugars, I am no longer sluggish during the day (unless I'm in a long meeting :) ). I usually have lots of energy.

andreab

I just wanted to say Hi.

I just joined last week so I working on my First Milestone. I will try and catch up.

mvonnesha

Next reading???? The HAIR BIBLE.....

11.The baggie technique
Haven't done it for a month, since my hair was braided up in a weave. But I am on the baggie challenge.

12.Average hair growth: 1/2 inch a month. With growth spurts in the summer.
13.Classifying hair length: It was 2 inches below shoulder, but had a setback, so I will see tonight.
14.How long will it take to reach your goals: Hopefully Bra strap by August 2006 .
15.Vitamins: Going back to using biotin and MSM.

I do the baggie underneath my phony ponies. I love it, my ends stay soft and moisturized.

2) Have you seen any progress in texture/breakage/length/moisture/scalp?? For the past months my hair seems to growing in slow motion. My hair does not break off that much, less than 10 strands when I comb it. My texture is horrible, my hair seems to be going through changes. I had a braided weave in for three weeks, and when I took it out this weekend, my hair dreaded up terribly. I have not finished untangling it, but it looks like I will have to cut around 3 inches. I say my texture is changing because once upon a time, I could leave braids in my hair for 2 months without any problems. Now if I braid my hair for more than a week, I get horrible dreadlocks, no matter how much I moisturize my hair.

I have not been taking vitamins for the past 3 months, but I plan on starting with biotin and MSM again. I am doing the atkins diet and bootcamp with a trainer.

locabouthair

The baggie technique: Never tried it before but I am thinking about it.

Average hair growth: about half an inch per month. but since i've been wearing my hair natural it has been hard to tell.

Classifying hair length: Still stuck at neck length but hopefully abstaining from heat will help me get 3 more inches.

How long will it take to reach your goals: At least a year because my hair grows really slow.......

Vitamins:I'll admit I have been slacking with the vitamins but I do take cod liver oil capsules and i plan on getting a multi vitamin like centrum.

Since so many wear buns/phony ponies, do you do the baggie??? I don't wear any buns cuz my hair's not long enough. But I am thinking about wearing a phony pony because I am running out of options with my hair.

Have you seen any progress in texture/breakage/length/moisture/scalp?? Unfortunately I haven't. Moisture is a big problem for me that I am working on. I've been buying a lot of products that claim to give moisture but they haven't been doing much for me. I will give my hair till the end of the summer to see if I retained any length. My scalp still itches. My texture is the same.I do have shedding but i don't come my hair everyday and I have a bad habit of pulling at my hair and that's probably why more hair comes out.

My diet is bad. I forget to take the cod liver oil capsules and i don't have a multi yet. I do plan on eating more fish, drinking more water, and exercising.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
11.The baggie technique - I only tried this method early December 2004 and it did not work out for me. I would get breakage around the ponytail holder.
12.Average hair growth - My normal growth alternates each month between 1/4" and 3/4". So together, my hair grows approximately 1" every 2 months.
13.Classifying hair length - My hair is now 1" in length (I have a twa).
14.How long will it take to reach your goals - I hope to reach my goal of shoulder length natural hair by the end of 2006.
15.Vitamins - One Daily Women's multi-vitamin, Nature Made Super B-Complex, Puritan Pride L-Cysteine 500mg, Nature's Bounty Vitamin C 500 mg

1) Since so many wear buns/phony ponies, do you do the baggie??? How's it working for you? I no longer wear buns/phony ponies since I ended my transitioning process on May 1st, 2005.

2) Have you seen any progress in texture/breakage/length/moisture/scalp?? Yes I have. I love my nappy coily hair texture. No breakage whatsoever. It's very low maintenance and it stays very moisturized since I wash it daily. My scalp itches way less than when I was relaxed.

3) Let's talk vitamins and diet. This will probably take up the majority of the post. Share your daily diet, vitamin routine, and the pros and cons. I take a multi-vitamin for overall health. I take 1 Super B-Complex daily and 3 L-Cysteine caps daily for hair growth. I take Vitamin C as well to boost my immune system and it's recommended to take with L-Cysteine. Right now, I'm not on any specific diet; I just eat whatever I want. I try to drink as much water as possible (2000mL a day). Cons - spend more money, not enough time to eat or drink sometimes, get tired of swallowing vitamins (after I consume all my vitamins, I plan on just taking Super B-Complex only. I feel like hair is going to grow regardless).

beloved1

Ms. Crystal, you're not too late. Jump in where you are - I'm sure that's what LoriLox (sp?) would say. That's why I bumped it for other newcomers who hadn't posted yet.

LoriLOCX

:) Hey Everybody!!!!
Kudos to you all for sticking with it, and being here for us all as moral support, encouragement, and contributing your advice and opinions....
========================================
jaded_faerie :)
Hey Girl!
pony w/o baggie, .75/mo....good...good!! So you've seen progress!!! Less breakage and growth!! Great. Do you think it might increase if you took vitamins. Don't like Pills? You can take a liquid...once per day maybe????

missenm :)
How's It Going Girl!
no baggie, 1/2/mo...that's good!! Your goal of brastrap by next June is commendable. I'll hang right in here with you. You too have had less breakage...AND FABULOUS ENDS!!??!!! Wonderful...wonderful!!! Vitamins and diet....good choices. Keep up the great work!

Ashee :)
Back at'cha Girl!
I'm glad this is working for you! You keep the journal going!! Hopefully everybody is, as well as contributing to the Hair Review section on the boards. I'm managing to keep up. It's been a little touch lately, and maybe I haven't been able to get online as much as I'd like, but I'm still here!! :lol:

Millie_C :)
What's Going On Girl!
You are too funny!!! I heard you on the bag. I got the bright idea one Saturday to puta wig on top a plastic cap while deep conditioning and ran to the grocery store real quick. Not only did my baby pull it off my head, but the oil dripped right down my back! How funny is that! :lachen:
2 inches and mid neck....cool! Healthy hair should be the first goal. That's what I'm shooting for too. Taking vitamins throughout the day seem to be a challenge for many of us. I vote for a one-a-day! Sounds like you got a good handle on things though. Keep it up!

beloved1 :)
Keep On Stepping Girl!
Many like wearing their hair out with great success. I think of Slyver2 and her beautiful hair. She has mastered this from what I read and see. Lots of protein...contributing to great growth...healthier thicker hair....and rounding out with supplements....Good for you!!!

CandacyEliz :)
Welcome Girl!
You be a newbie???? We happy ta have ya!!! I still consider myself a semi-newbie. All this takes time, patience, and persistence. Don't give up and ask all the questions you want. I love this place because I feel everyone here genuinely cares about you and your goals. There's no need to feel embarassed or ashamed to share your information - good and bad experiences. I feel that advice here is sound and given with the best of intentions. Go back and make sure you see all the previous postings for the Newcomer's Growing Out Club...and 1st, 2nd milestones!!! Nobody is ever too late to join!!! From what you've shared here, you sound like you got a good start to recover and reach your goals. We'll be here along the way, so stay with us :D

xippy :)
What's Up Girl!
You seem to be concentrating on the healthy aspects of your hair more so than growth, and in doing this, you've accomplished a great deal!! Awesome job!!! You and Millie_C have great control over diet. Back in the day, I did. :lol: You wore braids and used SURGE. Is SURGE meant for those that wear braids??? I recently tried it with my air-dried poney pony. It dries my hair out and I notice more shedding and itching, so I just stopped using it. I didn't breakout, and either my hair got curlier or I have lots of new growth. I don't think it's new growth unless it's major shrinkage...and I mean MAJOR!!! Anyway....hat's off to you and keep on trucking!!!!!

missenm & beloved1 ;)
Go ahead Girls!
Got nothin' but love fo ya!!!! Thanks for da well wishes ladies. I know everyone loves encouragement!

andreab :)
You Go Girl!
Welcome to you too!! Just take your time and go through each step of the Newcomer's Growing Out Club. Make sure you keep your journal, and we've adopted a wonderful hair guide, created by a wonderful member....now one of the newly appointed Moderators on LHCF. It's called the Newcomer's Guide To Growing Out. Gotta have it girl!! We'll be here for you when you catch up. Ask all the questions you need....you'll get great advice from great people here.

mvonnesha :)
Alright Girl!
Your weaves leave you dred-locked? I can relate because I went through this. My issue is my LUPUS. My hair matted horribly and the only thing I could do was to cut off the knots. What made it even worse was sitting under a dryer, trying to do a deep conditioner. I had more of them...ALL OVER MY HEAD...for months. They eventually went away, but it took diet, Nexxus Aloe Rid, drinking lots of water, and not giving up on my hair. My advice would be to stop doing the weaves for now. Your hair needs to breathe. Try 1/2 cup mayo with 1 TBSP EVOO and 1 raw egg. Sit with a plastic cap on for one hour. This is very messy...I will not lie....and don't apply heat, otherwise you'll end up with scrambled eggs in your hair :lachen: If you use a light protein weekly, make sure you follow with a deep conditioner. LESS HEAT IS BEST right now. Are you taking any meds? This can contribute to your matting. Also, you may wish to see a doctor to ensure that your overall health is okay and not residually affecting your hair.
=======================================================
LADIES WE NEED SOME ADVICE HERE :eek:
----------------------------------------
Has anyone here experienced hair matting??? If so, what do you recommend to stop it and get the hair back to normal condition? Let's put our heads together and help a sista out!!!

locabouthair :)
Hey Natural Girl!
Ok....need to find out what moisture routine will work for you. Do you shampoo or co-wash your hair? What products do you use? I don't remember seeing you in other Newcomer Postings. Have you tried using a pre-poo with EVOO and honey, co-wash, and a deep conditioner mix with EVOO and honey again? Have you also tried using CareFree Curl Activator/Moisturizer??? You may need to use an oil treatment after a deep conditioner with 10-15 minutes of heat. Dudley's PCA over time can also elleviate dryness.
We need some strong recommendations to combat dry, natural hair. Come ladies, let's help another sista out!!!

Poohbear :)
Good Going Girl!
You've got much to be proud of. You've managed to accomplish alot since you've been on LCHF. I've read many of your postings and think you've got great knowledge of try and apply. Also sounds like you transitioned. What a cute choice for summer. My hair isn't much longer than yours and I love the easy maintenance too! Keep on keeping on!!!

Woo-hoo Girl!
Keep the positive inspiration coming!

MsCrystal :)
Welcome Aboard Girl!
Can never say it enough....nobody will ever be too late. Glad to have you with us. You can go back and read all the beginning "Newcomer Growing Out Club" postings, include the 1st, and 2nd milestones. Ask anything. Make sure you keep a journal. Everything is spelled out for you along the way. I know for being on here a little while that members love to go back and look at postings over and over again, so don't worry. We are constantly reading and re-reading, adding new comments all the time. Glad you made it!!!!

Last edited:

missenm

Okay--- I have a question.

Is anyone in the Growing Out Club using MTG to aid thier efforts? I noticed D.Shy's progress while using this product and I think it's amazing. As a proud PJ, I have already ordered this product. :perplexed

Just wanted to know if anyone in the "Club" was using it--- I'd loved to hear about your thoughts and results. :look:
AND I needed an excuse to bump this thread to the top of the list again... :grin:

cminter

11.The baggie technique : I do not do this
12.Average hair growth: My hair is tightly coiled, so it looks like 1/4 in. per month. When it is relaxed, it is 1/2 in. I retain about 1 in., after relaxer, every 2 months.
13.Classifying hair length:Collar Bone
14.How long will it take to reach your goals:
3 months to nice shoulder length; two years to reach between mid back AND waist. I am growing on faith.
15.Vitamins: Biotin, Calcium with Vitamin D, Iron, Folic Acid, Vitamin E, Zinc, Multi Vitamin, and Flaxseed Oil

1) Since so many wear buns/phony ponies, do you do the baggie??? How's it working for you? No. I do not use the baggie method, but I do wear my hair in a bun and in updos.

Breakage, length, but not moisture.

3) Let's talk vitamins and diet.
I eat a lot of salmon. I take supplement drinks like Ensure, Body for Life, and Fortifying(Kroger brand of Ensure). I eat a lot of spinach. I drink 64 oz. of water a day. Lately, I have been slipping.

beloved1

beloved1 said:
That looks pretty!
I've seen a couple of newcomers post recently so I wanted to move up the Newcomer's Growing Out Club posts. I'll bump all of them so just jump in where you are.

beloved1

LoriLOCX said:
:) Hey Everybody!!!!
Kudos to you all for sticking with it, and being here for us all as moral support, encouragement, and contributing your advice and opinions....
========================================
jaded_faerie :)
Hey Girl!
pony w/o baggie, .75/mo....good...good!! So you've seen progress!!! Less breakage and growth!! Great. Do you think it might increase if you took vitamins. Don't like Pills? You can take a liquid...once per day maybe????

missenm :)
How's It Going Girl!
no baggie, 1/2/mo...that's good!! Your goal of brastrap by next June is commendable. I'll hang right in here with you. You too have had less breakage...AND FABULOUS ENDS!!??!!! Wonderful...wonderful!!! Vitamins and diet....good choices. Keep up the great work!

Ashee :)
Back at'cha Girl!
I'm glad this is working for you! You keep the journal going!! Hopefully everybody is, as well as contributing to the Hair Review section on the boards. I'm managing to keep up. It's been a little touch lately, and maybe I haven't been able to get online as much as I'd like, but I'm still here!! :lol:

Millie_C :)
What's Going On Girl!
You are too funny!!! I heard you on the bag. I got the bright idea one Saturday to puta wig on top a plastic cap while deep conditioning and ran to the grocery store real quick. Not only did my baby pull it off my head, but the oil dripped right down my back! How funny is that! :lachen:
2 inches and mid neck....cool! Healthy hair should be the first goal. That's what I'm shooting for too. Taking vitamins throughout the day seem to be a challenge for many of us. I vote for a one-a-day! Sounds like you got a good handle on things though. Keep it up!

Keep On Stepping Girl!
Many like wearing their hair out with great success. I think of Slyver2 and her beautiful hair. She has mastered this from what I read and see. Lots of protein...contributing to great growth...healthier thicker hair....and rounding out with supplements....Good for you!!!

CandacyEliz :)
Welcome Girl!
You be a newbie???? We happy ta have ya!!! I still consider myself a semi-newbie. All this takes time, patience, and persistence. Don't give up and ask all the questions you want. I love this place because I feel everyone here genuinely cares about you and your goals. There's no need to feel embarassed or ashamed to share your information - good and bad experiences. I feel that advice here is sound and given with the best of intentions. Go back and make sure you see all the previous postings for the Newcomer's Growing Out Club...and 1st, 2nd milestones!!! Nobody is ever too late to join!!! From what you've shared here, you sound like you got a good start to recover and reach your goals. We'll be here along the way, so stay with us :D

xippy :)
What's Up Girl!
You seem to be concentrating on the healthy aspects of your hair more so than growth, and in doing this, you've accomplished a great deal!! Awesome job!!! You and Millie_C have great control over diet. Back in the day, I did. :lol: You wore braids and used SURGE. Is SURGE meant for those that wear braids??? I recently tried it with my air-dried poney pony. It dries my hair out and I notice more shedding and itching, so I just stopped using it. I didn't breakout, and either my hair got curlier or I have lots of new growth. I don't think it's new growth unless it's major shrinkage...and I mean MAJOR!!! Anyway....hat's off to you and keep on trucking!!!!!

missenm & beloved1 ;)
Go ahead Girls!
Got nothin' but love fo ya!!!! Thanks for da well wishes ladies. I know everyone loves encouragement!

andreab :)
You Go Girl!
Welcome to you too!! Just take your time and go through each step of the Newcomer's Growing Out Club. Make sure you keep your journal, and we've adopted a wonderful hair guide, created by a wonderful member....now one of the newly appointed Moderators on LHCF. It's called the Newcomer's Guide To Growing Out. Gotta have it girl!! We'll be here for you when you catch up. Ask all the questions you need....you'll get great advice from great people here.

mvonnesha :)
Alright Girl!
Your weaves leave you dred-locked? I can relate because I went through this. My issue is my LUPUS. My hair matted horribly and the only thing I could do was to cut off the knots. What made it even worse was sitting under a dryer, trying to do a deep conditioner. I had more of them...ALL OVER MY HEAD...for months. They eventually went away, but it took diet, Nexxus Aloe Rid, drinking lots of water, and not giving up on my hair. My advice would be to stop doing the weaves for now. Your hair needs to breathe. Try 1/2 cup mayo with 1 TBSP EVOO and 1 raw egg. Sit with a plastic cap on for one hour. This is very messy...I will not lie....and don't apply heat, otherwise you'll end up with scrambled eggs in your hair :lachen: If you use a light protein weekly, make sure you follow with a deep conditioner. LESS HEAT IS BEST right now. Are you taking any meds? This can contribute to your matting. Also, you may wish to see a doctor to ensure that your overall health is okay and not residually affecting your hair.
Has anyone here experienced hair matting??? If so, what do you recommend to stop it and get the hair back to normal condition? Let's put our heads together and help a sista out!!!

locabouthair :)
Hey Natural Girl!
Ok....need to find out what moisture routine will work for you. Do you shampoo or co-wash your hair? What products do you use? I don't remember seeing you in other Newcomer Postings. Have you tried using a pre-poo with EVOO and honey, co-wash, and a deep conditioner mix with EVOO and honey again? Have you also tried using CareFree Curl Activator/Moisturizer??? You may need to use an oil treatment after a deep conditioner with 10-15 minutes of heat. Dudley's PCA over time can also elleviate dryness.
We need some strong recommendations to combat dry, natural hair. Come ladies, let's help another sista out!!!

Good Going Girl!
You've got much to be proud of. You've managed to accomplish alot since you've been on LCHF. I've read many of your postings and think you've got great knowledge of try and apply. Also sounds like you transitioned. What a cute choice for summer. My hair isn't much longer than yours and I love the easy maintenance too! Keep on keeping on!!!

Woo-hoo Girl!
Keep the positive inspiration coming!

MsCrystal :)
Welcome Aboard Girl!
Can never say it enough....nobody will ever be too late. Glad to have you with us. You can go back and read all the beginning "Newcomer Growing Out Club" postings, include the 1st, and 2nd milestones. Ask anything. Make sure you keep a journal. Everything is spelled out for you along the way. I know for being on here a little while that members love to go back and look at postings over and over again, so don't worry. We are constantly reading and re-reading, adding new comments all the time. Glad you made it!!!!

THANKS LORILOCX FOR ALL THIS ENCOURAGEMENT AND FOR KEEPING THIS GOING! It seems like you have soaked up a lot of knowledge as a semi-newbie yourself!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
LoriLOCX said:
Good Going Girl!
Thank you very much, LoriLOCX! :kiss: It definitely is very easy maintenance...don't really have to worry about anything!

And I didn't know your hair wasn't much longer than mine! :shocked: Guess we're in this long hair journey together! :grin:

Well, We'll soon have hair down our backs! ;) We're gonna make it! :weird:

LoriLOCX

Yes Ma'am!!!! Thank you too!!!
I love the comraderie. Everyone is so helpful and caring. It makes the journey rewarding. I'm sure other newbies are enjoying this as much as I am.

beloved1 said:
THANKS LORILOCX FOR ALL THIS ENCOURAGEMENT AND FOR KEEPING THIS GOING! It seems like you have soaked up a lot of knowledge as a semi-newbie yourself!