No Breakage! after 32 day "No Shampoo Challenge"

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I've read in another thread about a regimine that stops breakage, I was skeptical at first because it was from Motions and they advise that you use their products, of course, (and my hair don't like Motions). But, someone posted that it does work and you can use any other moisturizing poo, deep cond., and wrap/setting lotion. So, I decided to try it and why not make a challenge out of it to see the overall out come of this regimine.
Using the deep conditioner, wrap/setting foam lotion, and moisturizing shampoo for the final step of your choice. Here's the regimine for all that would like to try this with me, and it would be nice to list your products of choice for those of us who may not know what to use.
NO SHAMPOO for 32 days:
1. Rinse hair w/warm water until water runs clear.
2. Apply a generous amount of Deep condition/ CPR conditioner.
3. Massage into hair as you would shampoo.
4. Let it sit for 15 min.
5. Rinse w/room temp. water. ( luke warm)
6. Apply foam wrap lotion.
7. Apply oil sheen.
8. Dry & style hair.
9. Apply hair dressing every morning.
Note: Repeat every 4 days for a full month
10. The 10th treatment starts w/same warm water rinse, then later w/ Moisturizin Shampoo/CPR Shampoo
11. Rinse lightly.
12. Apply generous amount of conditioner.
13. Rinse w/room temp. water for 3 min. (luke warm)
14. Apply foam wrap lotion.
15. Apply oil sheen.
16. Dry and style hair.
Continue Shampoo & Conditioner treatment weekly for longer, thicker hair.

I'll be using Capilo Avacodo shampoo, Misses keys 10 en 1 super conditioner, Biosilk foam wrap lotion, Fantasias IC Shea Butter oil moisturizer or EQP mango butter or vitapointe (not sure yet, but will know by tonight) and ORS olive oil sheen. Let the challenge begin by tonight! HHG:grin:

ChoKitty

I'm in. I was on the other thread too.

Products I'll use:
LeKair Cholesterol Plus
Motions Foam wrap (Simply because I bought it awhile ago and need to get rid of it)
Mane-n-Tail's Shine On (My hair and areosol*sp?* sheen sprays don't get along.)
IC Pure Tea Instant Oil Moisturizer.

When I can shampoo again, CON red or green lable.
Also, I'll used a hooded dryer instead of a hand one. I'll start tonight. :D

Good luck!

Miosy

I would love to do it because CO washes are so good for me but 32 days of no poo will give me conditioner buildup which makes my hair drier and then leads to breakage. :(

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Well I start this little lonely, but so far benefical challenge. I will be taking pictures of the shedding/breakage to watch the difference threw out this month. So far i had little, but not major shedding, when I combed my through my twist-outs, after my first CW, that's basically what it was, I applied the foam wrap lotion and oil sheen, and yes there was much, much less shedding :yay:,so far I'm liking this. Plus, the every 4 day CW thing will be good to help me get into my new Poo routine which will be every 4 days after this challenge. ;)

ChoKitty

I started last night. I don't like using the dryer. I haven't used heat on my hair in years, and I don't think I'm going to continue to use the hooded dryer. There was less breakage, but my hair was frizzy. And, my moistuizer...hah...I'm still on the quest for the good one. Occasionally, Kids Shea Butter one works...I used it today when the IC hardened my hair. I think I'll buy little ouchless rubber bands...and let my hair dry in a bunch of little braids. I wonder how it will look when I take it down.

ChoKitty

I changed it on this wash, and AIR dried with s-curl and dark and lovely's moisture seal leave in. My hair came out much better.

Last edited:

Ladylynn

okay, I just wanna make sure I understand this. Don't use shampoo for a full 32 days, then when the 32 days are up, go back to using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner once a week? Is that it? If so, I'm game.

ChoKitty

Yep, that's it. It's basically a conditioning wash. Every four days.

Ladylynn said:
okay, I just wanna make sure I understand this. Don't use shampoo for a full 32 days, then when the 32 days are up, go back to using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner once a week? Is that it? If so, I'm game.

Jewell

I decided a couple days ago that I would go two weeks without shampoo and see how my hair does, with just daily CO washes. It seems like the more new growth I get, the harder it is to deal with my hair after shampooing it. It gets extra tangled and hard to comb, and sheds a little more when I do use shampoo.

Even CON green label which has been excellent in the past hardly helps with the manageability. When I don't use shampoo, I have no problem. :confused: Anyway, I'm going 2 weeks sans shampoo and if it works out, I'll only shampoo once or twice a month.

Cinnabuns

I've actually been doing this already, it sounds like conditoner washes.:) I guess I'll join in on this one to. Here is what I will be doing:

Every four days I'll condtioner wash with LeKeir Cholestral (aloe)

Is it okay to conditioner wash daily with V05 or Suave? If so then I would love to join in.:D

ChoKitty

It appears my hair is doing the opposite..and breaking more. Nothing I do works to get my hair in better shape. This is sad.

Iansan

YamisGirl said:
It appears my hair is doing the opposite..and breaking more. Nothing I do works to get my hair in better shape. This is sad.

I had terrible breakage too, and tried this, and the same thing happened to me. I think the no shampooing at all led to build up which caused even more breakage than before. What helped me get on track was condition washing daily, moisturizing with scurl and treating my scalp with surge mixed with surge oil mixed in an applicator bottle. Every week, I would prepoo with olive oil and then wash my hair with creme of nature, do an acv rinse, and follow with a moisturizing deep conditioner, or Aubrey's GBP. If my hair felt like it had build up on it, I would condition wash with a clarifiying conditioner to remove some of the buildup. Every six weeks I would do an aphogee treatment followed by Paul Mitchell SuperCharged Moisturizer and Porosity Control. I also starting stretching my relaxers from every 6 weeks to every 12-14 weeks. I followed this regimen pretty faithfully for about 8 months. I saw great improvement within the first three months. My hair did a complete 180 during that time.

Every once in awhile I would do a braidout, blowout, get cornrows, or flat iron my hair but my typical hair style was an airdried bun. I also took 5-10mg of biotin and 1,000 mg of msm or l-cysteine daily along with a multivitamin.

I no longer do this, but I feel this beginning regimen was what got my hair back on track.

ChoKitty

buttafly said:
I had terrible breakage too, and tried this, and the same thing happened to me. I think the no shampooing at all led to build up which caused even more breakage than before. What helped me get on track was condition washing daily, moisturizing with scurl and treating my scalp with surge mixed with surge oil mixed in an applicator bottle. Every week, I would prepoo with olive oil and then wash my hair with creme of nature, do an acv rinse, and follow with a moisturizing deep conditioner, or Aubrey's GBP. If my hair felt like it had build up on it, I would condition wash with a clarifiying conditioner to remove some of the buildup. Every six weeks I would do an aphogee treatment followed by Paul Mitchell SuperCharged Moisturizer and Porosity Control. I also starting stretching my relaxers from every 6 weeks to every 12-14 weeks. I followed this regimen pretty faithfully for about 8 months. I saw great improvement within the first three months. My hair did a complete 180 during that time.

Every once in awhile I would do a braidout, blowout, get cornrows, or flat iron my hair but my typical hair style was an airdried bun. I also took 5-10mg of biotin and 1,000 mg of msm or l-cysteine daily along with a multivitamin.

I no longer do this, but I feel this beginning regimen was what got my hair back on track.

Thank you. What is an scv rinse? What are some clarifying conditioners? I only know of shampoos. And honestly, I can't find good contioners and moisturizers. Nothing seems to work. Or they work for one day...and then not again. Do you know if the surge products are okay on sensitive scalps?

angellazette

I have recently come to dislike shampoo. I rather do cw's and when I do use shampoo, I slather on conditioner first then add a squirt (no more than a quarter sized amount) of shampoo into my hands, rub together and run it through my hair then rinse.

Iansan

YamisGirl said:
Thank you. What is an scv rinse? What are some clarifying conditioners? I only know of shampoos. And honestly, I can't find good contioners and moisturizers. Nothing seems to work. Or they work for one day...and then not again. Do you know if the surge products are okay on sensitive scalps?

An acv rinse is an apple cider vinegar rinse. Suave makes a clarifying conditioner, I forgot what it's called but it says clarifying on the label. I only used this conditoner as needed. For deep moisturizng conditioners I like Paul Mitchell SuperCharged Moisturizer, Salon's Choice Cholesterol Conditioner and Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner. I have a sensitive scalp as well and I didn't have any problem with surge as long as I mixed it with the oil and rinsed it out daily. If I didn't I would experienced burning and peeling.

Iansan

YamisGirl said:

An acv rinse is an apple cider vinegar rinse. Suave makes a clarifying conditioner, I forgot what it's called but it says clarifying on the label. I only used this conditoner as needed. For deep moisturizng conditioners I like Paul Mitchell SuperCharged Moisturizer, Salon's Choice Cholesterol Conditioner and Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner. I have a sensitive scalp as well and I didn't have any problem with surge as long as I mixed it with the oil and rinsed it out daily. If I didn't I would experience burning and peeling.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Ladylynn said:
Yes, that's it.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

YamisGirl said:
I changed it on this wash, and AIR dried with s-curl and dark and lovely's moisture seal leave in. My hair came out much better.
S-curl does wonders, sometimes you just have to spice it up w/some oils. Well yesterday I did soomething different too, I used Suave chamomile herbal cond. and it gave great slip and left it soft, I parted my hair down the middle and while rinsing out one side I combed it into one and made a platt, I did the same to the other side, then I wrapped the towel around my head nice and tight so it could soak up the water while allowing my NG to dry w/o being to kinky. I'm 12 wks and 4 days post relaxer this stuff is thick, LOL, after it dried I made cornrowing my hair much easier, it wasn't so kinky/matted in the roots. Major post relaxer days remind me why I'm relaxed,:lachen: .

ChoKitty

BeautifulWideEyes said:
S-curl does wonders, sometimes you just have to spice it up w/some oils. Well yesterday I did soomething different too, I used Suave chamomile herbal cond. and it gave great slip and left it soft, I parted my hair down the middle and while rinsing out one side I combed it into one and made a platt, I did the same to the other side, then I wrapped the towel around my head nice and tight so it could soak up the water while allowing my NG to dry w/o being to kinky. I'm 12 wks and 4 days post relaxer this stuff is thick, LOL, after it dried I made cornrowing my hair much easier, it wasn't so kinky/matted in the roots. Major post relaxer days remind me why I'm relaxed,:lachen: .

Oh boy. I'm 15 wks post relaxer and it's driving me nuts. I've been relaxed ever since I was really little. But I want to do this. :look: I will. I just have to find a way to do this.

metalkitty

YamisGirl said:
Oh boy. I'm 15 wks post relaxer and it's driving me nuts. I've been relaxed ever since I was really little. But I want to do this. :look: I will. I just have to find a way to do this.

If you're finding that your hair breaks alot when you comb it, I have a suggestion... I'll probably make another thread about it since I can't find the old ones. My hairs best friend is my Tangle Tamer, I have coarse, tangly 4a/b hair that breaks easily sometimes when I comb too rough or its too dry. This thing is basically a comb for children that has spinning teeth and looks a little scary to use but it works like a charm for detangling easily and efficiently without tearing or tugging. I think the spinning of the teeth loosens up kinks and tangles. I can have months of newgrowth like a twa and this still goes through it without breakage. It costs about 15 dollars at bigger drugstores like Walgreens or Longs.

ChoKitty

metalkitty said:
If you're finding that your hair breaks alot when you comb it, I have a suggestion... I'll probably make another thread about it since I can't find the old ones. My hairs best friend is my Tangle Tamer, I have coarse, tangly 4a/b hair that breaks easily sometimes when I comb too rough or its too dry. This thing is basically a comb for children that has spinning teeth and looks a little scary to use but it works like a charm for detangling easily and efficiently without tearing or tugging. I think the spinning of the teeth loosens up kinks and tangles. I can have months of newgrowth like a twa and this still goes through it without breakage. It costs about 15 dollars at bigger drugstores like Walgreens or Longs.

Thanks! I'll look for one.

Elizabeth26

I tried this with motion cpr for about 3 weeks. My breakage slowed down but it didn't stop completely. so I went on to try the the damage hair instructions.

DahomeyAhosi

I did my first con wash yesterday and had much less tangling than usual. Also less breakage. Anyone have updates from this challenge? I think it may be a good idea.

misspriss

I haven't shampooed for about 3 weeks and it's working really well for me. I do conditioner washes every 2-4 days and only use natural products like oils and aloe vera gel. I don't get much product build-up that way and usually I just put it in a bun. I think I'm going to only shampoo once or twice a month from now on (at least until summer, chorine water is a different story).

hairlover

Jewell said:
I decided a couple days ago that I would go two weeks without shampoo and see how my hair does, with just daily CO washes. It seems like the more new growth I get, the harder it is to deal with my hair after shampooing it. It gets extra tangled and hard to comb, and sheds a little more when I do use shampoo.

Even CON green label which has been excellent in the past hardly helps with the manageability. When I don't use shampoo, I have no problem. :confused: Anyway, I'm going 2 weeks sans shampoo and if it works out, I'll only shampoo once or twice a month.
i'm with you jewell, i've started con washing this monday because of the very same reason,