No Heat Til September 2009 Challenge

What will you do to your hair to keep the heat off of it?

• Protective Styling

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Braids

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Wigs

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Weaves

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HeChangedMyName

Since my hair did so well last summer with no heat for four months, I've decided to try it again. Heat for DCing and roller sets is ok though. I'm just looking for no direct heat. Is anyone up for the Challenge with me? I am doing it for both growth/retention as well as just to combat the damaging effects of the already hot Carolina sun.

Just in case anyone goes into withdrawal or just needs a quick heat style every now and then, I say we allow for THREE direct heat passes.

To keep the heat out of my hair I guess I'll be doing protective styling again including braid outs, twist outs, and my new fav the bun in my avi right there<<<<<<<.

So whose with me? On your Mark, Get Set Go!!!

Just for fun I've added a poll on how you plan to make it through the summer with no heat.

Simply Blessed
AtlantaJJ
tdennis44
Mattie26
IDareT'sHair
Shay72
Snilloh
MsEllie
Austro-Afrikana
HeShotMeBangBang
mysoon2behair
Bosslady1
eluv
DaPPeR
charmtreese
Austro-Afrikana
CurlyMe08
tayflea
FAMUDva
kriolagirl
Simply Kelz
Kerryann
sweetpineapple
prettyeyez0724

Last edited:

SimplyBlessed

I'm in!! I'm trying not to straighten my hair b/c the front is already heat damaged and just started using megatek on my edges and on the front so I wanna go with heat so I can do a progress check and be surprised...for now i've been bunning and wear a half wig with a head band...i'm trying to work on twist outs and braid outs

AtlantaJJ

I'm up for the challenge!! Count me in. If I need to, I'll use one of my passes to re-do my BKT otherwise I don't use heat.

HeChangedMyName

welcome ladies. I think it'd be great if we could post our protective styles, that way we could give each other ideas. I know I need ideas for when I get tired of braid/twist outs.

Mattie26

I can do this I'm hiding away my curling irons and I don't own a blowdryer so I know I can do this. Plz count me in.:yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Yes !:wave: Please Count me in As well. I will be wearing my Phony Bun right up until September which will be my next Self-Relaxing Date. I will be DC-ing and Phony Bunning.

MsEllie

I'm in I started doing this last month to see how my hair would act so its been like 5 weeks of no heat for me already... I only wear braid outs :perplexed, so I need help with styles. But its working great so far for me.

Austro-Afrikana

I'm in. I want to try not to blowdry/straighten until december. I am doing crown and glory so i am in braids for 6weeks at a time and out for 6weeks. When i'm out, i'm going to try wet bunning...i really want air drying to work for me...just haven't found the right way yet.

HeChangedMyName

Welcome aboard. I can't wait to see everyone's results. Airdrying can be harsh if your hair is already damaged and the cuticle isn't in tact so be careful and be sure to apply product that will help hold the cuticles down to avoid the frizzies which lead to the tangles, which lead to breakage.

I love your bantu set, are you fully natural or still transitioning?
THANKYOU!!!! I have never had a perm but I colored my hair like every day in college so I guess you could say I'm transitioning from that, i have like 3 inches of virgin hair and its very different from the hair that was colored

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I've been airdrying since about Oct 08. I use heat for length checks and the day I relax only. My protective styles will be bunning and twist outs. I've been on you tube looking for more creative ways to do my buns especially since I have a ton of hair accessories I could incorporate.

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
I'm in. I'm doin kinky twist until December. I'm hoping for APL by December. Here is my starting pix:

HeChangedMyName

Dapper, welcome, your hair is the same length as mine is now. . .I been trying for APL for a while. How long have you been at that length?

HeChangedMyName

How is everyone doing? I'm still holding off. I want some heat so badly, but I'll wait until I have a reason to use the heat. I'm thinking about coloring my hair so I may heat it up to style it and see the new color.

Mattie26

Still going strong. Plan on keeping my new kinky twists in til Sept then it will mostly be braids and wigs until Dec. Just making shoulder (base of neck) full blown SL and a little beyond by Dec 09.:yep:

DarkandLovely

I'm in as well! I'll be airdrying and protective styling mostly but I'll try a roller set if I feel like getting under the dryer.

FAMUDva

I'm in... I've been doing this since April and had planned to go until late September or when it's not as hot outside. This is my first summer natural, so it's a bit of a challenge, but I'm up for it.

I had braids in June; after the braids I've been Bunning, afro puffs, curly ponies, and twist outs. Nothing too exciting :(. I'm thinking of having my hair braided (with no extentsions) for this upcoming week. I plan to keep doing what I've been doing as well as getting 2 strand twists at some point this summer.

ETA: I do use my diffuser on cool sometimes to set my curls, so that will be my exception to the rule :)

Last edited:

kriolagirl

Count me in! I got my hair flat-ironed a couple weeks ago and I'm not using heat again until my 1 year nappy-versary in September. Starting point is in my siggy/avi. I mainly wear wigs/falls or slick it back into a curly puff.