No lye reverts?

locabouthair

My hairdresser keeps telling me that because I am using a no lye thats why my hairs not getting very straight.

Now I know from on here that no lye gets the hair straighter than lye. Which is why I switched to no lye in the first place. So I'm like ok whatever :rolleyes: when she's telling me to go back to lye. I dont want to switch, plus the last time she didn't even smooth it that much, plus I used a protein the wash after the relaxer which I think made it "revert".

Anyway, what do you guys think? Do you agree or disagree?

ladylibra

interesting... i had hairdressers telling me that no-lye is the reason my hair wouldn't straighten and to switch to lye! :look:

glamazon386

No Lye relaxers always left my hair underprocessed thats why I switched to lye (Affirm) but then the lye made my hair too straight for my liking. Like it was stronger or something. I don't know why... I ended up switching to Mizani and it did much better. Overall my hair did look better and I got less breakage. It was like the difference between using cheapy products and salon quality.

gymfreak336

My hairdresser keeps telling me that because I am using a no lye thats why my hairs not getting very straight.

Now I know from on here that no lye gets the hair straighter than lye. Which is why I switched to no lye in the first place. So I'm like ok whatever :rolleyes: when she's telling me to go back to lye. I dont want to switch, plus the last time she didn't even smooth it that much, plus I used a protein the wash after the relaxer which I think made it "revert".

Anyway, what do you guys think? Do you agree or disagree?

What protein conditioner did she use afterwards?

IDK, I think sometimes it comes down to the quality of the relaxer. What kind of no lye is she using?

locabouthair

IDK, I think sometimes it comes down to the quality of the relaxer. What kind of no lye is she using?

I would use olive oil no lye relaxer in extra strength because of my coarse hair. She would use the ORS replenishing pak. but a week after the relaxer I was using organics hair mayo, which I think caused my hair to revert.

glamazon, I heard affirm is a really strong relaxer, maybe thats why it got your hair very straight.

glamazon386

I would use olive oil no lye relaxer in extra strength because of my coarse hair. She would use the ORS replenishing pak. but a week after the relaxer I was using organics hair mayo, which I think caused my hair to revert.

glamazon, I heard affirm is a really strong relaxer, maybe thats why it got your hair very straight.

I think so too. My mother has been using it for years with no problem but she has very thick hair. My hair is fine. With the mizani it was much better. It still had some texture to it when wet too.

glamazon386

I think so too. My hair always grew out fine and stayed healthy when I was going to the salon regualrly and they were using salon quality products. As soon as I switched up (ie changed salons and they were using whatever) my hair went to crap. That's why when I find somebody I like I try to stick with them.

locabouthair

I think so too. My mother has been using it for years with no problem but she has very thick hair. My hair is fine. With the mizani it was much better. It still had some texture to it when wet too.

hmm, maybe i need to use that relaxer because my hair is very coarse and nothing straightens it. People tell me I dont look like I'm wearing a perm. thats how the whole convo came about with my stylist.

gymfreak336

hmm, maybe i need to use that relaxer because my hair is very coarse and nothing straightens it. People tell me I dont look like I'm wearing a perm. thats how the whole convo came about with my stylist.

Loca, I think that is what ladyesquire uses and she has coarse hair too.

FlawedBeauty

i dont know about the difference between lye and no lye in regards to which would make for straighter hair but i dont believe in the whole reversion thing. i just dont see how its possible. a relaxer breaks down the bonds of the hair to straighten and once they are broken don't understand how washing the hair would equal building back up the bond, i dont think thats possible. hair may just be appearing to revert because it is under processed to begin with.

charmtreese

No lye always left my hair underprocessed and dry, that's why I switched to lye. Best hair decision in 07!!!:yep::yep::yep: