No Lye vs. Lye ! which one you like best?

No-lye vs. lye?

• Yes! love my no-lye and will not give it up.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Lye is better, less damage in the long run.

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • I use whatever is on hand.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I am a product junkie and go with the latest trend.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spencd

Hello,

I have been using Affirm no lye for some time and it has dried out my hair, but it is thicker and longer (how weird, I know). I would like to know what you think about the difference of lye vs. no lye. Despite hearing lye is better are you not willing to give up your no lye? What lye products do you recommend?

Dposh167

i went no lye for a year and half...and hated it. after 2 months of ng..my hair was just as dry and fluffy as i dont know what. So i went back to lye. I used silk elements which was good...now my beautician is using this lye relaxer based outta nc..that has to be ordered thru professionals. Dont know what its called but its the most gentle lye relaxer i ever had

nichole21

I think I'm allergic to lye, I have the most horrible reactions too it. Its really bad! So I stay with no lye relaxers.

spencd

Thanks for the reply ladies. This is my first day posting and am trying to get answers from members. I see it is hard to get a lot of replies.

TexturedTresses

I have to use no-lye because my scalp will not tolerate lye. However, many people say lye is better on your hair and lets you absorb moisture better.

MuslimahTresses

I like lye better than no lye because my hair was less dry when I used lye and I didn't get alot of breakage.

But I switched to no lye because I got tired of the burning scalp and underprocessed hair that lye relaxers gave me.

They both have their pros and cons so until I learn how to take care of my no lye hair I like lye relaxers best.

TLC1020

Lye work better in my hair... No-Lye dry my hair out something bad and it feels like a dry brillo pad :nono:.

Tarae

I'd been using no-lye for years and never understood why my hair was so dry and dull. Once I switched to lye, it's like my hair is completely different.

I'm using Silk Elements Mild now and I really like it but I think I'm going to switch to Mizani Butter Blends.

spencd

I'm not sure about Mizani Butter Blends but it took my friends and my hair out. This was at least 4 years ago so I am not sure what Mizani relaxer it was. I caught wind of it after two or three months, but one of my friends kept on and is just starting to really recouperate. The other friends hair was damaged as well. I am just saying beware about that brand.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I voted for lye. :up: When i was younger my mother always swore by no-lye and my scalf suffered for so long over the years becuase of it. When I was relaxed I started using lye on my hair and WOW what a difference. No dandruff, itchy, tight scalp, hair breakage...zero. Now that I'm texlaxed I still use lye. My favorite is Hawaian Silky No Base Mild Jar Relaxer. mix this with any of my Dominician conditioners when I texlax.

MuslimahTresses

I'd been using no-lye for years and never understood why my hair was so dry and dull. Once I switched to lye, it's like my hair is completely different.

I'm using Silk Elements Mild now and I really like it but I think I'm going to switch to Mizani Butter Blends.

How did you take care of the 2 different types of hair? Did the no lye hair eventually break off or something?
I really don't want to use no lye again but I feel forced since all the rest of my hair is processed with no lye.

Tarae

How did you take care of the 2 different types of hair? Did the no lye hair eventually break off or something?
I really don't want to use no lye again but I feel forced since all the rest of my hair is processed with no lye.
It didn't break off. Most of my no-lye hair has been trimmed off by now anyway. I just try to moisturize it more.

I kinda treat my no-lye portion of my hair like my new growth; extra moisture, DC, etc.

Sistaslick

I prefer no-lye relaxers. Mizani, in particular. They are much easier on my scalp and hair, and I don't run into problems with dryness/dullness because I'm a faithful chelator. :lachen: I really do think that chelating with no-lyes is helpful for lifting calcium deposits along the shaft and fighting the resultant dryness. :yep:

FluffyRed

I like the word "resultant" =-)

I have used no-lye for a while... just started with Lye - mizani butter blends - and it's great, but then I am doing protein treatments, etc. and generally taking better care of my hair, so it's hard to say.

***ETA - my lye texlax of last week didn't exactly take, but it was still enough for my hair to look great. Even though i did not smooth completely, there was enough relaxation in all areas. I am liking the lye!

Last edited:

The Princess

I been using No Lye for like forever. I switched to LYE like 5 months ago, trying to get my hair is better condition and I happy I did. No more dry, brittle hair. My hair is no longer dry anymore. I do believe it has to do with the LYE relaxer. With no lye I will use a whole bottle of moisturizer so my hair wouldn't be dry. Not knowing it was getting blocked. With LYE I don't have that problem. I have notice a big difference. Im glad I switched over.

Neith

Putting a lye relaxer in my hair is like putting water in it... it looks and feels like nothing was applied to it. No lye straightens and softens my very coarse hair much better than lye!

Arcadian

Lye eats my scalp to peices so I stick to non lye for that reason. IMO its about finding a brand that you like. I'm a phyto girl, and though expensive its the one that works best for me. (but there's people out there that hate it)

-A

Blessed_Angel

I voted for Lye. I don't think I could ever go back to no-lye. When I used it, my hair was so dry; the only thing that moisturized my hair was WGO, eventhough that was all I really knew to use at the time besides Pink Oil Moisturizer.

But still, I can see a difference in the way my hair lays and swangs and feels. My hair would be moisturized for about a day; two the most. But with my lye, I only need to moisturize every 2-3 days. The moisture just lasts for days...long as there's no protein overload. And I don't have to worry about the calcium build-up either. No more no-lye for me. :nono:

Trinity1

I voted lye for me. When I used no lye it gave me very dry hair and when I started using lye it was obvious which hair was relaxed with no lye and lye..Now all the no lye relaxed hair has grown out and have been trimmed off so I am happy with my hair now.

Trinity1

spencd

Thanks guys for responding. Now it is just a matter of finding a brand that will work for me. I'm strongly leaning over to lye because this no lye affirm has done a job on me. I have used others in the past with way better results, but I am afraid to try them again. I rather give lye a go.

MariposaSexyGirl

Im a no-lye chick. Because I use the steps it takes to care for no-lye I have no problems with it. I did not like how lye did my scalp at all. I woud rather take extra care of my hair(chelating) than trying to revive my scalp.

I used no-lye for a year, becuase my hairdresser said it was better for my hair. I didn't like how no-lye relaxers left my hair feeling dry and lifeless.