No-Poo has NOT worked in my favor

I have been wondering why my length hasn't been making as much progress as I'm used to. I think it's been the no-poo method.

I've seen how the no-poo method has worked wonders for others, but my hair grew and thickened up like weeds when I was washing 1-2x per week. My hair and scalp HATE buildup, and I don't have much problem with dryness, with no-poo my hair always feels too oily.

I think I'm going to go back to washing with CON 2x per week and cowashing ever so often in between. Has anyone else observed this?

Rapunzel*

DO WHATS BEST FOR YOU
WHAT WORKED FOR SOME DOES NOT WORK FOR OTHERS:yep:
YOU R HAIR WILL TELL YOU WHAT IT LIKES AND DOESNT LIKE

enscott14

I would say try to do a ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) rinse. I stopped using shampoos myself and only co-wash and ACV when my scalp needs a good cleaning and the ACV works wonders. It immediately removes the dirt from your hair and scalp AND it leaves your hair nice and shiny.

I use one part ACV and one part water and a couple drops of honey, then I condish afterwards and what a difference. I think you will like the results. It's better than shampooing for shampoos have so many cones and other things that block the pores of your scalp and do nothing for growth.

Hope this helps! :look:

I would say try to do a ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) rinse. I stopped using shampoos myself and only co-wash and ACV when my scalp needs a good cleaning and the ACV works wonders. It immediately removes the dirt from your hair and scalp AND it leaves your hair nice and shiny.

I use one part ACV and one part water and a couple drops of honey, then I condish afterwards and what a difference. I think you will like the results. It's better than shampooing for shampoos have so many cones and other things that block the pores of your scalp and do nothing for growth.

Hey! I use ACV regularly and it's helped a little, but still...I dunno. I guess it all comes down to my hair/strand type. But I never thought about adding honey to it. I'm going to try that, thanks!

PeggyFair

Wow. thanks for this tip. I didn't know that you were supposed to dilute the acv, I've been using it straight, 100% on my hair.:sad:

foxieroxienyc

Personally I do still use shampoo. I will occasionally co-wash but I just prefer a clean scalp and hair... I specifically use moisturizing shampoos (mostly only Nexxus Therappe and/or Always Natural Moisturizing Shampoo). They only contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate (which has NOT been drying for my hair) and a lot of oils (essential oils, coconut oil, etc etc). I follow it with a quick rinse of Porosity Control and then proceed to condition. I only lather once and then rinse. I really massage my scalp as well.

Gotta do what works for you, and sometimes the most popular things aren't going to produce the same results. :yep:

morehairplease

Wow. thanks for this tip. I didn't know that you were supposed to dilute the acv, I've been using it straight, 100% on my hair.:sad:

Really?! Did it make your hair dry or shed at all? I purchased a shampoo yesterday that has acv in it and my hair felt really stripped for some reason. My hair is constantly dry and this was the worst for me.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I think that it's good you realised what your hair doesn't like so you know what not to do and what to do more of. I've personally never tried the no-poo method so I can't offer any suggestions other than to go back to what has worked for you.

oooop2

I use poo. I TRIED to follow the no-poo regime and my scalp ITCHED like crazy. Even used the ACV diuted w/ water. Same issue, plus my hair felt terrible after. So the no-poo regime didn't work for me. Once I went back to using poo (CON detangling/CD Rosemary Mint), my scalp felt amazing. I just added some baking soda to the mix to help clarify. I poo-1x/wk.

Lucky's Mom

I have never done a co- wash. I use homemade shampoo( Bootleg CD rosemary mint) and oils that do not strip my hair, or baking soda for clarifying. I figure my pre poo-and my post poo condish - is enough.

Jynkx

i tend to like a super oily prepoo so i feel like i need a "quick lather" wash. i was gonna try the whole co-wash only thing to see if i liked it or got results but i LOVE my oil prepoo. i figure if it aint broke..........

oooop2

I have never done a co- wash. I use homemade shampoo( Bootleg CD rosemary mint) and oils that do not strip my hair, or baking soda for clarifying. I figure my pre poo-and my post poo condish - is enough.

OMG..I love it. Let me know if you plan on sharing. My current CD bottle is running low :grin:

Cichelle

I was surprised to find that my hair does better when I use shampoo. I was always sure that shampoo dried out my hair when, in fact, build up dries out my hair. A gentle shampoo a couple of times a week works wonders. I don't have the dry ends I used to have when I was strictly co-washing.

biancaelyse

I tried no poo, but it doesn't work for my hair. I get buid up after a week or 2 and my hair just looks so much better after I shampoo. I do it every other week and I dilute the shampoo.

My favorites are CON, Activate and L'Oreal nature's Therapy for Curly Hair.

princessnad

My hair HATES build up. I no-poo, but I baking soda rinse 2x per week.

This has been the best thing for me and I gave my Nexxus Therappe 1 L refill to my SO.

But use what works for you.