Not Pretty Enough to Be Natural?

MonPetite

Imagine being told:

"Your texture is lovely...but...you don't really have the face for that sort of thing. You need the right features for natural hair."

What would your reaction be?

Are their really "right" features for being natural? How can my face not match what my DNA deems should come out of my head?

Could it really be true the way some people can't "play off" certain hair colors that some people can't "work" their natural hair? Does this mean certain women just aren't attractive with their natural texture (WHATEVER that texture may be)? Is that possible?

Please ignore the good hair vs. bad hair debate. This is more a hair-whatever-the-texture vs. the-face-it-frames issue.

What do you ladies think?

I like this thread....I was just thinking about this.

I personally am not confident enough to go natural, but I get thats self esteem not face frame vs. texture

I agree with you! Idk, if I have the confidence. There's a girl at school with a beautiful (SL when stretch) 4B Afro. I think it looks very pretty on her, but would it look pretty on me? It's a self-esteem issue with me. I probably will transition one day...I know I will, but just not now.

I don't know why but I been thinking about this lately. I hope that this is really not an issue, but I would think, just like some people don't look good in certain hair cuts and colors... then maybe, just maybe. I really hope not. But you never know. Geez, now you got me wondering. I hope some people answer soon. I remember when I used to wear my natural hair out as a child, I didn't like how I looked, but now I'm mature and able to accept myself... and if I'm not feeling so hot, I can throw on a cute outfit, a little lip gloss and work it. But I'm still stumped

Imagine being told:

"Your texture is lovely...but...you don't really have the face for that sort of thing. You need the right features for natural hair."

Hmmmm...I'm not sure what to make of that :perplexed
What is the right features for being natural? Did that person explain that to you?
IDK, this type of debate or issue doesn't really occur for relaxed heads...it just goes to show that no matter what, natural hair will always be an issue with us :wallbash:

Imagine being told:

Are their really "right" features for being natural? How can my face not match what my DNA deems should come out of my head?

Could it really be true the way some people can't "play off" certain hair colors that some people can't "work" their natural hair? Does this mean certain women just aren't attractive with their natural texture (WHATEVER that texture may be)? Is that possible?

Please ignore the good hair vs. bad hair debate. This is more a hair-whatever-the-texture vs. the-face-it-frames issue.

My reaction would be a little angry. How is anyone going to tell me I can't wear my hair the way it was when I was born? That's really offensive.

Hopefully she was referring to the natural styles she's seen not working on some women. I think it all depends on the style. May be she was imagining you with a short fro (natural), and that wouldn't be the best style for your features (but it would be necessary to wear w/ a big cut).

I don't see any reason why natural hair can't be sported by any black woman. There are so many things to do w/ it.

What is the right features for being natural? Did that person explain that to you?
IDK, this type of debate or issue doesn't really occur for relaxed heads...it just goes to show that no matter what, natural hair will always be an issue with us :wallbash:

For me its not a issue. Hell sometimes I dont feel confident with relaxed air:nono:. Taking care of my hair is still a learning process and I feel I need to learn how to take care of my relaxed hair and master stretching before I dive in to being natural one

Please ignore that comment. You decide how pretty you are, not someone else. Why wouldn't you be pretty enough with the hair you were born with?
God doesn't make mistakes, you are fearfully and wonderfully made :)

OP if YOU want to be natural go for it girl! Its about how you feel not anyone else Opinions will always differ but at the end of the day its all about you:drunk:

I personally think texture only plays a small part in what will look good on certain people. I do think that if that person finds the right style to fit their face/personality then anyone can pull it off. I never ever thought about going natural because I knew I did not have the face to pull it off. One day my mother bought a afro phony pony and it looked so cute on her that I decided to rock one too. I got so many compliments on it and and I was really impressed on how it look on me. (plus I love earth tones, so it worked well with my style. :yep:

:perplexed Okay... What are the right features for a natural hair??? I'm at 16 1/2 weeks stretch right now and I'm trying to decide whether to go natural or texlax. I'm not confident enough to wear a TWA. (I'm 6' tall and I look like my dad) so I feel better with length. I'm confident that I'll look okay natural, just not with a short cut. :yep:

BTW, my mother in law told me that she thinks I would look beautiful with an afro.:grin: I should have listened to her when she tried to convince me to go natural back in 2006.

Well, when I BCd my sister said that my short hair didn't look good on me. I have a roundish face (aka..plus size). Im trying to figure out if its her, "i don't like natural hair" thing or what. She is the only person who's reacted negitively.

Asking that person who said that to you: what is a person with natural hair supposed to look like? Dark skinned, militant type?

That doesn't make since.

Please ignore that comment. You decide how pretty you are, not someone else. Why wouldn't you be pretty enough with the hair you were born with?

Great post. Ditto. And like lilbrownied said, maybe they were saying that an afro doesn't work for everyone (that's all some people think of when they think of natural hair--I used to think that).

But regardless of what they meant, wear your hair however you see fit. I also believe natural hair enhances most womens features and helps them to stand out (in a good way).

After looking at dozens of fotki albums along with 'before and after' threads here and elsewhere, IMHO a pretty girl is going to be pretty regardless of whether she's relaxed or natural.

Now for people whose face won't necessarily EVER be their fortune...well, it can go either way.

I know when I gained weight I didnt' like how my natural hair looked on me, because my face was fatter and my hair was shorter, now that I lost weight, I liked it better because my face was smaller and liking it even more because its getting longer, I dont thiink its having natural hair, its just the length, some people look good with short hair and some look good with fuller or longer hair, when I first cut my hair real short I liked it alot because I was smaller, but not the second time, so I think your face will have a lot to do with it.... not being natural but just the style you wear....

Imagine being told:

Everyone can pull off their own natural God given texture. How it frames the face is determined by the style. Not all styles look good on everybody. For example, I have a widows peak. I also have a patch of hair above each temple that is pushed out from the hair line. So since I don't have a straight hairline, if I were to do cornrows that go around the edge of my hair line, it doesn't look good. I have these three areas that stick out oddly. So I don't do this style. Thankfully, there are plently of other styles for me to play around with

Lys

:perplexed Okay... What are the right features for a natural hair??? I'm at 16 1/2 weeks stretch right now and I'm trying to decide whether to go natural or texlax. I'm not confident enough to wear a TWA. (I'm 6' tall and I look like my dad) so I feel better with length. I'm confident that I'll look okay natural, just not with a short cut. :yep:

BTW, my mother in law told me that she thinks I would look beautiful with an afro.:grin: I should have listened to her when she tried to convince me to go natural back in 2006.

Honestly...I don't think it has any thing to do with features, just confidence. I don't think anyone should say "You can't look good as a natural, because_____". That is nothing but a lie. I think it has to do with how the woman feels about herself. If you feel beautiful, you will appear beautiful to others.

IMO, the only way any type of hair will not look pretty is if it is not styled. Now that is a nono! :nono:

I know it's been a while since I was in college but the last time I checked, our ancestors weren't born with relaxed hair and neither was I.:perplexed What's wrong with wearing your natural hair? If you want to go natural, GO FOR IT! Do what you what because YOU want it. Don't worry about what someone else says.

My first thought would be how ignorant of the person to say such a thing. Then I would ask what EXACTLY they meant by such a comment.

I have a good friend who is natural (well she just texturized last week). She wears an afro that is getting pretty big. However, she can also wear straight styles if she wanted.

She told me that when she cut off her hair to reveal a few inches of her afro, she did change her wardrobe a bit (more form fitting) and she does wear dresses and skirts more often. She told me last that she did not want to "look like a man" from the back with her low afro.

Maybe this is what the person meant, that really short hair requires a certain face shape? Who knows. However, as is clear by the posters on this site, having natural hair does not equal tiny afro.

My reaction would be a little angry. How is anyone going to tell me I can't wear my hair the way it was when I was born? That's really offensive.

Hopefully she was referring to the natural styles she's seen not working on some women. I think it all depends on the style. May be she was imagining you with a short fro (natural), and that wouldn't be the best style for your features (but it would be necessary to wear w/ a big cut).

I don't see any reason why natural hair can't be sported by any black woman. There are so many things to do w/ it.

Seriously cosigning to all of the above. It also annoys me when people assume that natural hair can only be worn in a fro. Its way more versatile then that....the ignorance is really annoying.:nono:

Seriously cosigning to all of the above. It also annoys me when people assume that natural hair can only be worn in a fro. Its way more versatile then that....the ignorance is really annoying.:nono:

Perhaps the person that told the OP this should be invited to check out this site. Also, they may want to check out the various fotki's of the natural sisters. There are many styles this sisters are rocking (whether it's a 'fro, twists, braids, and there are several natural sisters here that wear straight styles).

I know that the ignorance is annoying so I guess we can educate those that don't understand.:yep:

It seems like there is a consensus that it could be not everyone looks attractive with SHORT hair, and after BCing most people tend to have TWAs. :perplexed

That's disconcerning...what if someone has cancer or an accident and has short hair for a couple years? Does that mean they are ugly because they lost something as easily lost/gained as HAIR?

Or...if you're ugly you can make up for it with long, flowing hair?

How ugly is too ugly for natural hair? :perplexed

I like being natural...but, people like a lot of things that aren't necessarily good for them.

I don't think it's possible for your natural texture/color/complexion to NOT look good on you because...it's your DNA! It's you....But, unfortunately I'm mortal and with my mortality can be quite mistaken.

Thus my starting this thread for other perspectives....

Last edited:

That's what I want to know! I'm "broad" featured.

I have a TWA.

OP if YOU want to be natural go for it girl! Its about how you feel not anyone else Opinions will always differ but at the end of the day its all about you:drunk:

I AM natural, girl! :lachen:

No, He doesn't.

Last edited:
It seems like there is a consensus that it could be not everyone looks attractive with SHORT hair, and after BCing most people tend to have TWAs. :perplexed

That's disconcerning...what if someone has cancer or an accident and has short hair for a couple years? Does that mean they are ugly because they lost something as easily lost/gained as HAIR?

I like being natural...but, people like a lot of things that aren't necessarily good for them.

I don't think it's possible for your natural texture/color/complexion to NOT look good on you because...it's your DNA! It's you....But, unfortunately I'm mortal and with my mortality can be quite mistaken.

This my starting this thread for other perspectives....

Honestly, the reason I transitioned as long as I did was so that I'd have decent length when I cut the relaxed ends off (at least enough to make a ponytail). I didn't think very short hair would look good on me. And yes, for many men an average looking woman looks better to them with longer hair.

None of this means that your natural hair (even a TWA) doesn't suit your face. Some people just don't like natural hair that much and say that only a certain type of person should be natural so that they don't have to reflect on why they choose to relax their hair. Don't let one person's comment throw you off track.

This my starting this thread for other perspectives....

You have to remember where you posted this thread. LONG hair care forum is full of women who on some level believe long hair is prettier. I'm sure some will come and disagree with me, saying they like both, but long hair suits them better. Either way, people are here to learn how to grow healthy long(er) hair. So responses are biased in that way.

Twas look excellent on a lot of ladies. Think of all of the beautiful African models that sport shaved heads.

South African model Kaone Kario
l_72df7ceb8bf08c7674e8842d935fb1b6.jpg

Nigerian model Nnenna (from ANTM)
l_5ea1f6de4bf719d75b4e7f92c2f414f1.jpg

Kenyan model Ajuma Nasenyana
05.jpg

Lys

i honestly think this is a huge self esteem issue. Natural is beautiful!

nobody says to white girls "you don't have the features to have straight hair!":perplexed

Those models are gorgeous!:yep: They are rocking those cuts! I don't have the confidence to wear my hair that short. More power to those that do.I'm not saying that I think I'm ugly or anything like that (I know I'm not :grin:) IMO, I feel and look better with some length. Anyway, I'm going to step out of the thread now...

I really don't understand how some folks could come out their mouths with such. How is it possible that you don't look right with what you are naturally born with. Unless you have some congenital disfigurement, which I do NOT think nappy/curly/natural hair is, then I think it should perfectly acceptable. Would you tell Molly that she's not acceptable with natural straight flowy hair and that she doesn't have the face for it:ohwell:?

Now there are some natural STYLES better suit for individual features, but to suggest ones hair, sculpted by God to grow in a way that adorns our heads like crowns, is a defect that needs to be corrected by PCJ and hair grease? :nono: If it weren't for that mentality many of us would not be on hair sites today

Back