To be natural or not to be?

Lee

For the last couple of days, I have been thinking about going natural. I remember as a kid my hair was wavy. When my mother used grease and water my hair waved up like an ocean. I'm nervous because I don't want to lose my length which is not long however, its still my hair and I love it. Also, I'm a big fan of phony tails. I haven't seen alot of phony tails with the natural texture. I'm just confused can someone help.

Karonica

Well whatever you decide, there is plenty of support on this board. I'm also just beginning the transitional phase. My last perm was late June.

hawaiianhoney

Lee, I still plan on wearing ponies once I'm natural. I just started transitioning as well. My last relaxer was mid June. I've gone as long as 7 months with no relaxer and although my hair got very thick, when I wet it, I was still able to brush it back into a pony and it looked nice. My hair straightens very easily and it looks like we have the same hair type, so you may not have a problem.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

dahllia

I too am considering transitioning its just that Im afraid that I will want straight styles every now and then and not know what to do. Also, I dont want to cut my length trying to get rid of the relaxed end and I dont want to wear braids either while transitioning. Yeah I do have a lot of worries but at the same time Im not sure that I want to put chemicals back in my head either.

Karonica

There are plenty of options while transitioning. If you want to wear your hair straight, you can always blowdry, press, or flatiron it. Some hairtypes don't require heat in order for it to be straightened.

As of now (currently), I'm not going to cut my hair. My hair is just about bra-strap in the back when it's straightened, and I just don't wanna lose all that length. I plan on trimming as I go every few months. But if I get tired enough, I'll hack it in a minute.

garr6982

I transitioned then went back to texturizer now I have the best of both worlds!
I'm glad I went natural if nothing else but to see my true hair texture and the knowledge gained from sites like LHCF and www.nappturality.com, and several books pertaining to natural hair (I can't think of the title or author of the one most helpful but as soon as I find my copy, I'll tell you the title. It's by Pam __?__)

I transitioned from somewhat long hair (about shoulder blade length) and probably would not have had such an issue with breakage if my hair had not been sick to begin with (improperly applied relaxer)!

These things helped me during my transition:

Remember, for the first 3 - 6 months, your new growth may be a lot different than the rest of your hair (more coarse) because it is getting accustomed to being without any chemicals (also called scab hair)! This is usually the stage that a lot of people go back to chemicals (including me, only I used a vigorol
). Try to keep it oiled (I used olive oil, and coconut oil to soften the new growth), and conditioned and comb your hair in sections from the ends to the scalp in short strokes. I sectioned my hair in 6 sections.

Try to wear protective styles to lessen breakage. You may experience excessive breakage but just remember that your hair has two textures and it won't last forever. I noticed my hair became easier to comb through and I experienced less breakage after 8 months. This is also when I noticed more wave definition and really thought I was cute
! I loved the fact that I could take a lock of hair, add water and a spit of gel, and make a curl
! Keep in mind your transition my be totally different and your new growth may be a lot smoother but I'd rather you were warned than be surprised
! I also wore braids 2 months at a time and got an inch trimmed each time so that helped me maintain a little length.

Now about the pony tails with the natural texture
!

There is a site called http://www.phonyponies.com that was referenced here in an earlier thread and let me tell you the customer service is awesome! But more importantly, they have natural looking ponytails
! That was my biggest beef I wanted to start wearing the protective style like Adrienne does but I wanted a ponytail that suited my hair type (3c/4a texturized) which would be something wavy/curly and NOT SHINY
! I AINT got no silky shiny doll looking hair!!!GRRRRRR
!

Sorry, I had to get that out
! But that was my dilemna. Anyhow, I went to the site and i emailed Ginny about my situation. She sent me three snips of hair free of charge that was enough to compare to my hair (you're allowed 3)! I haven't ordered yet 'cause I'm in braids but they come Saturday, I will be ordering!

Sorry I was so longwinded!

P.S. Since you're the ponytail Diva
, do you know how to make a bun/chignon from a ponytail? This is my first time wearing one and this is the style I'd like to wear.

Thanks!

ComfortablyNumb

I also was natural but I just now went into the world of texturizing and I love it! I don't have to fight frizz anymore but my hair is still curly. Everyone should go natural at least once because you really don't know what you have on your head (texturewise and everything) until you have went natural. But if your hairtype is really 3a/3b you will have no problembrushing your hair straight neough for a phonytail. My hair is probably majority 3b and with some pomade I can brush my hair pretty straight with a few waves. I transitioned with pressing (I didn't even know I was transitioning at the time, I just stopped perming) and I didn't really lose any hair. I think that since the difference in your hairtype (being 3a/3b)and the relaxed hair isn't too dramatic that it would break your hair. You probably won't even get actual ringlets for months. It takes about 6 months of no perm to get a ringlet in my head (taking into account the size of my curls) so the breakage from two different textures is minimal. I doubt you'll have too many problems either.

Take it this way, try it with transitioning and if your hair starts to break, then you can decide whether you still want to go natural or if you want to cut it out but it may nto even get to that point.

Lee

Thank you for that inspirational information. I'm going to check that site out. Looks Good! To make the bun on my head I use a striaght phony of course and I found a trick that works well. I put the phony tail in I make sure all of the hair is hanging back then I take the left side of hanging hair and wrap it around toward the front going right then I take the right side and wrap it around toward the front going left then secure them with open bobby pins. I find that these bobby pins do not dig into your scalp. I hope you understood this method. Doing it and tpying how to do it is two different things. I also add cute tiny butter fly clips to take it up a notch. I hope I was of some help to you.

Thank you ladies for all of your input.

inthepink

Lee,

Good luck with making your decision! Garr had some very good tips that I will have to consider as well! Thanks, Garr!

Peachtree

Hi Lee

1 good piece of advice.... get a very good detangling leave in.
Tangles will eventually emerge with the 2 textures and having a good leave in will make ur "transitional life" sooooo incredibly easier.

Best wishes on whatever u decide.

inthepink

I agree with Peachtree, a good leave-in is absolutely essential! Also, comb through your hair as you do your final rinse in the shower. Then, when you go to detangle with your leave-in, it should be even easier! I just learned this trick!

Lee

Thanks Peachtree and HairLove. I believe I have found a good leave-in that detangles and mositurizes as well. It's called Hair Insurance by Aussie. It works well on relaxed hair I hope it works well on new growth.

garr6982

Lee You are awesome
, that's for you! You don't know how long I have been trying to figure out how to do a bun phonypony!! A good friend of mine does her phony pony like this and it is so elegant but she couldn't describe it as well as you!! Thanks!

Oh, and ditto what Peachtree and Hairlove typed. Get a really good detangler 'cause if your hair is anything like mine, it's going to be mad at the two textures and ball up its little fist at you (making it hard to comb
)! I used a concoction found on the formerly FREE site Longhairlovers.com, that I think is from Carol Howe/Howse 's book. I used water (distilled if you prefer) or infusium, coconut oil, olive oil and, peppermint essential oil. I used this very sparingly ('cause it's quite oily) after conditioning for my comb outs and was pleased with the results. I used 32 oz water or Infusium (sometimes mixed half/half), 8 oz olive oil, 4 oz coconut oil and about 10 drops essential oil! I alternated oils (jojoba, watermelon, camelina, avocado) any oil with moisturizing qualities for hair.

Try using Suave "Naturals" Tropical Coconut conditioner also. I have been using this stuff from transitioning , natural, and texturized stages and it still detangles my hair
! It may not work for you but at about $2.00 a bottle at the most, it's worth the try
!

Hairlove: You are so welcome
!

Thanks again Lee!

Lee

Thank you for the flower and you are very welcome. Thank you for your mixtures which I will be trying. I've used the coconut conditoner in the past and it did nothing for my hair. However, I decided to go natural so it may work better on my new growth instead of relaxed hair. You guys have been an inspiration to me to go through with this. I haven't seen my natural hair since I was about 13 years old. I plan on going through the transition with braids (extensions added), weaves, and phony tails. Of course I will take extra care of my own hair. Sorry, I'm so long winded, I'm just so excited about doing this.

Thanks guys

pebbles

[ QUOTE ]
Good Luck with your decision. Do what you think is best for your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Do what will make you and your hair happy.