Not using a product because of the smell?

Would you stop using a product that worked well because you didnt like the smell?

• No, if it made my hair look/feel good, I'd still use it

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • Yes, I'd dump it in a heart beat

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I'd use it sometimes, but not on a regular basis

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • It would depend on the product.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Leeda.the.Paladin

Has anyone liked the way a product worked on your hair, but couldn't get over the smell? I love the way coconut oil feels on my hair and used it for awhile, but then one day the smell just got to me. I just couldn't' use it anymore, the smell made me nauseas. I ended up giving it all to my best friend.

Have you ever stopped using a product because of the smell?

mscocoface

I did the exact same thing with coconut oil. I purchased the one that had the flower smell, it was making me sick to my stomach. Scent was waaaaay to strong.

So now I use food grade coconut oil and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did the same thing with cocoa butter the other night. I was making something and added cocoa butter. Now I like what I made but the cocoa butter smell is really strong and I added three different essential oils. Smell is still strong.

I think my neices are going to be very happy campers when I give them the tub of new stuff their Auntie just made.

Last edited:

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I didn't use straight Black Castor Oil this summer because of the smell. It doesn't bother me much, but the hot weather really kicked up the scent. I had to mix with other products in a spray bottle to mask the scent. But I'll go back to putting it on my ends in the Fall.

Come to think of it, I didn't use any vatika or amla lite oil this summer for the same reason. I think I did the same thing with Wild Growth Hair Oil a while back too. I can't stand heavy scents in the summer.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I voted I would still use it. If I could tolerate smelling like canadian bacon with MTG, then I could tolerate almost anything LOL :lachen:There were ways of covering up the smell :look: All I would have to do is use essential oils like peppermint and the smell would go away.

But it also depends on the smell...if it was something that made me nauseous and/or couldn't be covered up then I would have to dump it.

Covergirl5906

I will not use any product that stinks...sorry..don't care how good it works...all that stong smelling stuff like wild growth oil, mtg etc...no way :nono:

the spectrum coconut oil from whole foods that I use has a light pleasant smell...you might like that one...

mscocoface

I didn't use straight Black Castor Oil this summer because of the smell. It doesn't bother me much, but the hot weather really kicked up the scent. I had to mix with other products in a spray bottle to mask the scent. But I'll go back to putting it on my ends in the Fall.

Come to think of it, I didn't use any vatika or amla lite oil this summer for the same reason. I think I did the same thing with Wild Growth Hair Oil a while back too. I can't stand heavy scents in the summer.

You know what you are so right. I never use Black Castor without an essential oil and the amla's are sitting in my cabinet looking at me. I used the amla about 3 weeks ago for a hot oil and the smell was driving me crazy.

I noticed I am putting a lot of citrus scented essential oils in most of my stuff. (Grape, orange, lemon, lime, tangerine, etc.)

Interesting.....

Cichelle

Yeah, I'm very sensitive to smell, so any product that makes my stomach queasy would have to go. I did once have that experience with coconut oil, but found another brand that smelled fine.

clever

I voted pitch it.I've thrown away so much stuff because it had a bad smell.I don't care how shiny it makes my hair or if it can grow my hair to hiplength in 2 days...I don't like anything that smells offensive and covering stinky stuff up with EO's and fragrance oils only makes it worse.Its not that serious to me.

Filmatic

I can't stand the smell of the lavender Avalon Organic Con, but I still use it. I just cover the smell with another con afterwards.

StillGrowing

I got Spectrum coconut oil after some of the women here was raving about it and I could not stand the smell. I was going to throw it out immediately but I might keep it because it's probably not as bad as I think. I'm going to blame it on heightened smell sensitivity due to pregnancy lol.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I got Spectrum coconut oil after some of the women here was raving about it and I could not stand the smell. I was going to throw it out immediately but I might keep it because it's probably not as bad as I think. I'm going to blame it on heightened smell sensitivity due to pregnancy lol.

:yep:

Give it another chance after the little one's arrival.

You know what you are so right. I never use Black Castor without an essential oil and the amla's are sitting in my cabinet looking at me. I used the amla about 3 weeks ago for a hot oil and the smell was driving me crazy.

I noticed I am putting a lot of citrus scented essential oils in most of my stuff. (Grape, orange, lemon, lime, tangerine, etc.)

Interesting.....

Hmmm, now I want to try that.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Ug, I can understand this...it seems like half of everything I smelled when I was pregnant made me sick :nono:

Neith

The ONLY stinky product I use is the aphogee treatment. I guess I can stand it because I only use it every 6 weeks and my hair doesn't smell like it afterwards.

I can't henna because I can't stand the smell left in my hair. I can't use even the scented Boundless Tresses... I still smell the nasty sulfur smell.

A856

i stopped using the ORS carrot oil cause the smell was out of this world....but didn't let it go to waste i wound up using it eventually BUT i'll never buy it again!

BirdieGray

I couldn't stand the smell of MTG, so I stopped using it. I still have a bottle that's about 2/3 full. I should probably throw that out. :rolleyes: Come to think of it, I haven't used my Amla oil in a minute because everytime I look at it I get visions of the Ringling Bros....

fluffylocks

Depends.

Wild growth oil is about the worst smelling product i've ever came across, but i cant find anything else like it, plus i only use it on wash day.

When it comes to something else im going to be using regulary...an oil, moisturizer....if it stinks i cant do it because i have to smell it all the time and im sure i can find something out their with the same/similar ingredients minus the smell.

poookie

kids organics shea butter detangler. smells like hot fart and cotton candy. i hate the smell of all kids products. :nono:

i use olive oil sparingly on my hair, because i don't want it to smell like a pizzaria.

i REALLY want to try ghee, but everyone who uses it talks about a faint rancid butter smell, and i'm not sure how i'd react to that.

Neith

kids organics shea butter detangler. smells like hot fart and cotton candy. i hate the smell of all kids products. :nono:

i use olive oil sparingly on my hair, because i don't want it to smell like a pizzaria.

i REALLY want to try ghee, but everyone who uses it talks about a faint rancid butter smell, and i'm not sure how i'd react to that.

:lachen:

I'll stay away from that one!

~marti26.

I too can not stand the smell the scent of Cocoa Butter. I made the substitute Curly Pudding recipe and it called for 2 or 3 sticks of cocoa butter and some other things. It's still sitting in my closet nice and stinky. Ugh I can't take it. Getting nauseous just thinking about it.
Also, although I know that people love EVOO, I can't stand the smell so I know I'd never be able to try it.

clever

:lachen::lachen::lachen:can't breathe

jerjer29

I bought this huge bottle of hemp seed moisturizing conditioner from Sallys, used it once and actually took it back because of how horrible it smelt. Sure it made my hair feel great..and i wouldn't of minded the smell if it would have faded after i used my leave in products but i almost couldn't bare sleeping at night because i could smell my hair. It smelled minty and like some plant..i couldn't take it!

queen_t

Silicon Mix...uggg. I can't stand products that are too "perfumey." Detangles new growth like a dream, but the scent is just too overpowering for me.

frizzy

I used it until it was gone and won't replace it, but I didn't like the smell of ORS Olive Oil lotion(?), I don't like the way the Oil Sheen smells either.

Neith

Silicon Mix...uggg. I can't stand products that are too "perfumey." Detangles new growth like a dream, but the scent is just too overpowering for me.

That's how I feel about keracare humecto and motions moisture plus... even Aubreys GPB conditioner.

Those strong perfumes also irritate my scalp!

Cxshortie

I do not care if a hair product will grow my hair five inches in a month, if it stinks, I can not deal with it. There are some products I would like to try, but if they are only available online, I have to seriously think it through before buying because I already have a ton of stuff on my junk pile. I can not stand to put a product in my hair at night and then smell it on my pillow in my sleep for eight hours. Some of the stronger scents give me a headache and I cant walk around with no headache just to make my hair look good.

KEWLKAT103

If it stinks to me, I'm not using it.
However, some things that other people think stink, smell just fine to me. WGO is one of them. I love that oil and don't mind the smell, but DH could'nt stand it, so I don't use it any longer.