Now Forming an Army of SUPER-LONG HAIR 4B (or mostly 4b) NATURALS!! Come on in!

Stormy

I have 4-6 more inches to go till I reach my goal of APL. I'm going to keep visiting this thread for inspiration. Hopefully one day (soon) I can post a real update too!

Thanks ladies!

loulou82

RegaLady

:wave: Fotki is a ghost town now. :lol: Errbody on IG, Youtube, Tumblr, or has a blog.

Well, like that "famous last words before a setback" thread constantly laments, I wanted to straighten my hair and get a trim last May. Huge mistake because I received heat damage, had 3 inches cut, and suffered splits upon splits. My ends were a mess- feather splits, tree splits, deep splits, small splits. :perplexed

So I trimmed my hair another inch. But I didn't know what to do with my hair afterward so I tried to bun for several months but I wasn't properly washing, detangling, or conditioning my hair because I wanted a hands-off regimen. I literally did not want to touch my hair. But that just exacerbated the problem- it grew but my hair was very brittle and dry and the splits came back. I had another 2 inches trimmed all around on March 30, 2013 and I cut my bangs back to 11 inches two weeks ago.

I'm now a client of Reniece and Company's junior stylist and I'm wearing a weave as my protective style for 15 months to get my hair back in shape. :grin: I can tell my hair is improving already.

RegaLady

@RegaLady

:wave: Fotki is a ghost town now. :lol: Errbody on IG, Youtube, Tumblr, or has a blog.

Well, like that "famous last words before a setback" thread constantly laments, I wanted to straighten my hair and get a trim last May. Huge mistake because I received heat damage, had 3 inches cut, and suffered splits upon splits. My ends were a mess- feather splits, tree splits, deep splits, small splits. :perplexed

So I trimmed my hair another inch. But I didn't know what to do with my hair afterward so I tried to bun for several months but I wasn't properly washing, detangling, or conditioning my hair because I wanted a hands-off regimen. I literally did not want to touch my hair. But that just exacerbated the problem- it grew but my hair was very brittle and dry and the splits came back. I had another 2 inches trimmed all around on March 30, 2013 and I cut my bangs back to 11 inches two weeks ago.

I'm now a client of Reniece and Company's junior stylist and I'm wearing a weave as my protective style for 15 months to get my hair back in shape. :grin: I can tell my hair is improving already.

loulou82

AMAZINGGGG!
I just had the exact same setback story. This happened last month and I am now bunning. It seems to be improving. I won't know until this fall. It was a salon visit that also set me back(heat damage and trim:nono:). Thank you so much for your mini story. I have always been a fan of your hair and I am glad your hair seems to be improving:yep:. If I remember correctly you used sews to grow out your hair(at least that is what I remembered from your fotki).

Anyway, it is good to see you around these parks again!:yep:

loulou82

loulou82

AMAZINGGGG!
I just had the exact same setback story. This happened last month and I am now bunning. It seems to be improving. I won't know until this fall. It was a salon visit that also set me back(heat damage and trim:nono:). Thank you so much for your mini story. I have always been a fan of your hair and I am glad your hair seems to be improving:yep:. If I remember correctly you used sews to grow out your hair(at least that is what I remembered from your fotki).

Anyway, it is good to see you around these parks again!:yep:

RegaLady

:blush: Aww thanks- it's good to be back! My hair is definitely rebounding. For it being fine and fragile, my hair does well in weaves.

Sorry to hear about your setback. Do you have to trim to remove damage? Buns are great when done correctly.

RegaLady

@RegaLady

:blush: Aww thanks- it's good to be back! My hair is definitely rebounding. For it being fine and fragile, my hair does well in weaves.

Sorry to hear about your setback. Do you have to trim to remove damage? Buns are great when done correctly.

I have not yet. I am going to wait it out. So far the breakage has slowed down. I may do another trim at the end of summer. I already feel like I have trimmed so much,lol.

Nubenap22

One day I hope to be like you ladies!!! My longest layer was at APL last year before a scissor happy beautician last year....since then my hair hasn't seemed to want to grow back.... Splits city.... So I switched up my routine...my hair improved slightly...still got my trim every 6weeks-2 months....did henna a few times...PS (braids, weaves, etc)....

Last time I saw my hair before this sew in it was looking better the front sides were collar bone length and the back was may e an inch away from APL. Gonna stick to weaves/wigs for however long....plus I need to start back taking my vitamins and doing things I forgot to do like scalp massages and prepooing...and I confess moisturizing and sealing...I know I slacked off...nursing school will do that to ya but I'm done with school and dedicating the time to nourish her better and grow better!!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Hey ladies! Where has this thread been all my life? I am 4b natural bsb and my goal length is mbl/waist length. I have been natural for almost 3 years. I keep my hair stretched at all times. I wig, bun, rollerset and get my hair blown out. I am a slow grower, but my retention is on point.

I plan to reach my goal by nect December. My plan is to stay on top of my moisture/protein balance and maintain my low manipulation regimen.

coolsista-paris

wow its been a long time. i forgot about this thread.

so... im 4b and i relaxed in december 2013.... after 6 years natural.

i was bsb.... trial and error here i go again.

im now transitionning back (im 7 months post),
i beleive that i can do better this time on my second natural journey.

hope to come back here with bsl, mbl some day and post pics to help others

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Currently BSL. I will be MBL by December of this year and WL by December 2015.

ETA Reggie:

Weekly: Alternate shampoo or cocleanse
DC
Leave in
Style in twists or bun
Moisturize and seal every other day

*I was using sulfur oil from March 2013 to September 2013 with success. I am a slow grower.

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Some hair pics

ForumRunner_20140711_091426.jpg

ForumRunner_20140711_091545.jpg

ForumRunner_20140711_091616.jpg

ForumRunner_20140711_091650.jpg

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4 using LHCF

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140711_091516.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140711_091516.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 100

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
My hair growth: 2007 vs 2012

Did a flat twist out on flat ironed hair at the end of last year and really really liked the results. Want to try it again for the end of this year but not sure if it will be possible since I'm going through my 1000th setback lol

Right now I'm trying to refocus and get back to what I used to do when I first went natural. I started a thread here entitled 'What else can you do after being natural for 5+ years' and got some really nice tips. My latest purchase was a shower filter, been using it for about two weeks now so it's too early to state the results. Had a hair date with a Dominican lady who is also natural and she encouraged me to get back to reading labels and avoiding products with sodium and other drying ingredients in them:yep:

I've outlined what I'm going to focus on for the next two years:
1) First I'm gonna do a no heat challenge for 2015, it's drying out my hair something fierce! I've done it in the past and it yielded great results.
2) Going to focus on healing my scalp, I've been dealing with dandruff for entirely too long and I'm afraid of going bald if it continues!
3) My edges are thinning out so I've already broke out the castor oil and will soon be purchasing the jbco online
4) will focus on my thinning/breaking ends ends, someone started a thread about how hard water can affect this part of the hair so I'm hoping the shower filter does its job.

AyannaDivine

Hows it going ladies?

I'm struggling to achieve BSL, all due to constant bunning and lack of detangling. My buns are WAY too tight and it is causing some breakage. For 2015 I'm going to try not to pull my hair back into a bun or ponytail at all.

faithVA

Hows it going ladies?

I'm struggling to achieve BSL, all due to constant bunning and lack of detangling. My buns are WAY too tight and it is causing some breakage. For 2015 I'm going to try not to pull my hair back into a bun or ponytail at all.

Knowing the problem and having a strategy are very important. Hopefully the changes will move you right into BSL. Are you going to promise yourself to detangle more and to detangle gently?

AyannaDivine

Knowing the problem and having a strategy are very important. Hopefully the changes will move you right into BSL. Are you going to promise yourself to detangle more and to detangle gently?

Detangling is so painful! I know it must be done in order to prevent knots and breakage...so I do promise myself to do weekly detangling sessions.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Hows it going ladies?

It's going well. I went in for a trim and she ended up trimming me back to apl. I was a little heated at first, but now my focus is on growing it back. I will do self trims from now on. Here are a few recent pics (from last month).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 142
  • PhotoGrid_1414592928262.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1414592928262.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 20141027_091416.jpg
    20141027_091416.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 136

charmtreese

I can't wait to be apart of the super long 4b army. Currently, I think Im floating around APL. My reggie is pretty solid and if I could stop thinking about length I would be good to go. My goal for 2015 to get me to BSL and maybe beyond is to continue with my regimen of weekly cleansing, DC, and twisting. To spice things up, I will probably try new products here and there. But to get my focus off my hair growth and help pass time I will be increasing my gym workouts, focusing on keeping my natural nails heathy, and coming up with a solid skin care regimen.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I can't wait to be apart of the super long 4b army. Currently, I think Im floating around APL. My reggie is pretty solid and if I could stop thinking about length I would be good to go. My goal for 2015 to get me to BSL and maybe beyond is to continue with my regimen of weekly cleansing, DC, and twisting. To spice things up, I will probably try new products here and there. But to get my focus off my hair growth and help pass time I will be increasing my gym workouts, focusing on keeping my natural nails heathy, and coming up with a solid skin care regimen.

We will get there soon! Right now I am working on my body from the inside out. I would like to lose 30 lbs and strengthen my thin, brittle nails. That requires healthy eating habits, exercise and lots of water. Longer hair will be just a side effect of a healthy lifestyle. I also quit drinking recently and I feel so much better already. Lets keep this thread alive and motivate one another ladies :)

Last edited:

Funmiloves

I'm struggling with the illusive APL! Some sections reach apl, the back is just over, and then there are some sections that just keep laughing in my face :'(
I want to be full apl before I do my happy dance.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm struggling with the illusive APL! Some sections reach apl, the back is just over, and then there are some sections that just keep laughing in my face :'(

I'm right there with you. My shortest layers are neck/shoulder length. I hate extreme layers like this... my short term goal is full apl by December. I ysually get a good growth spurt after a trim so it is possible.

NefertariBlu

I'm with you on this. It seems to evading my efforts at protective styling. It feels like I've been the same hair length for years.

This year I will be 4 years natural and STILL trying to get to APL. I am getting there though. I would say that I have about 1-2 inches to claim it so I'm getting there slowly.

CenteredGirl

4b army recruit reporting for duty. I was recently inspired by almond eyes post about the grade of hair not being the root of my problems growing/keeping my hair beyond APL. In fact I have a patch of my crown that is barely SL and has been for YEARS.

I think her post was an epiphany for me. She suggested daily wetting of hair in the shower. I started 3 days ago and have vowed to keep at it for at least 2 years. I am excited about the journey ahead. Our hair is so beautiful when it is cared for correctly. I wish all of you the best of hair. Glad to be part of the army.

Reactions: DKO

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I was looking at pics from when I was relaxed and I was able to get to mbl effortlessly. Now I'm struggling to get past apl. I figured out that my hair has to stay stretched in order to avoid tangles. I also need to regularly use protein since I am color treated and I use heat sometimes. I am going to perfect my regimen by the end of this year. Next year I am going to reach my length goal (mbl).

I am so thankful for this forum and all of the helpful information.