NY-ers.. where do you get your relaxers??

vevster

I am looking for a good place to do retouches. I use mild motions w/ lye.

Thanks in Advance! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kitkat

Hi Vevster. I go to Joseph's Hairstyling, or Hair by Joseph, on 60th Street, around the corner from Bloomingdales. Dang, I should know the correct name, shouldn't I? I owe many thanks to Pumpkin for recommending this place. We both use Natasha, who is very good. Another good place is Curve, which is in Bed-Stuy. I understand that one of Curve's stylists (I believe they're sisters) started under Joseph's tutelage, so she's probably very good. And I hear that she is a little less expensive.
I hope this helps.

fletgee

The salon is called Hair Styling by Joseph. I remember going there and seeing Bill Cosby (he and Joseph are very good friends), Diana Ross and her kids and many more celerbities.I had my hair done there every week for over 15 years. The hair care and advice I received there was wonderful. Are Walter, Joe Jr., and Billy still there?

Could you let me know how much Joseph's charges for a re-touch? also, do you recall if they smooth the relaxer through with the comb teeth or no?

I have someone already for re touches but its always good to have a second to fall back if necessary and I'd like to find one that doesn't comb through the relaxed portion but just smooths it with the unteethed (back) part of the comb or not at all. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks!

hiddy3

brownrelxedhair,
I use to go to Joseph's when I worked in the city (doing the Stay-at-home-mom thing right now). They were not cheap but worth the extra money. I liked them because they alway were into doing a roller set, even back in the day when blowdry/curling iron were so popular. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to do the relaxer application as you'd like it there.

Pallas

hiddy3

Kitkat,
Natasha huh? I should treat myself to a Joseph's Wash/Set.
What exactly do you like about Natasha?

Pallas

vevster

This is so funny but I have friends that go to Joseph. I was thinking of going there doesn't he also do facials?

daviine

I would definitely be intereted in finding out more about Natasha. My biggest fear with relaxing is the overlapping factor. I'd love to hear more about people's experiences with Natasha or Joseph's salon in general.

Thanks!!!!

daviine

Hey Hiddy --I wanted to send you a private message but was unable to. At any rate, I just wanted to say that I hope that you are enjoying the stay-at-home mom thing.

Smooches......daviine /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

daviine

Meinzzfuture...I've wondered about that place almost every day for years. It's so hard to miss.....I guess that's why I've always wondered about it. How do you like it?

daviine

Hiddy!!!!!! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I tried to read your e-mail but I can't access it. Either I forgot my password or they closed it. I forgot about that e-mail address and I can't figure out why I can't open it.

My very full e-mail address that I check several times a day becasue I'm obsessed is [email protected].

Sorry about that..... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kitkat

Hi guys!! I just logged in and saw all the questions about Joseph's. As I said before, Pumpkin gets props here because I would never have known about them were it not for her.

Natasha is very good because she pays attention to your goals and works with you. As all of us here are trying to do, I'd like to grow my hair. Knowing this, she trims only when necessary, and only what is necessary. Some stylists call themselves trimming and then proceed to cut 6 inches of hair, then look at you like you're crazy when you ask what the heck they're doing. To date, she has only really dusted my ends.

Natasha will not comb the relaxer thru your ends unless necessary, as she had to do with me the first time I went. She needed to do a corrective relaxer b/c I had a head full of under-relaxed no-lye hair that she was trying to condition. So that visit was a bit expensive. Relaxers there start at $80 or $85. They might use other relaxers, but Natasha has only used Affirm no-lye on me. She has an assistant whom she relies upon a lot for relaxing and roller setting, just so you know, but her assistant is also good.

The other good thing about Joseph's is their focus on roller sets, as another poster mentioned. Natasha uses a blow dryer BRIEFLY during the comb out and styling.

Fletgee, I'm sorry but I don't know whether the stylists whom you mentioned are still there.

I hope that this helps with some of the questions that you guys had!

Thanks Kit Kat. This REALLY helps get a good picture of this salon, esp. this stylist. I'll definitely have to keep them on file to maybe do a re-touch for me or maybe just to go have my ends dusted since they seem to understand what trim means!

Plus its easy for me to get to from work so its perfect /images/graemlins/grin.gif It is pricey for the re-touches but it sounds like you definitely get what you pay for. Its funny but I'm due for a re-touch any time from now and I'm soooo tempted to skip my usual hairdresser friend and book for her to do it instead! Hmmmm...

Thanks again. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

hiddy3

Yikes!
Joseph's is charging 80-85 dollars for a touch-up? I noticed you said "Relaxers there start at...". I'm hoping that is not the touch-up price.

Fletgee mentioned Bill, Joe Jr and Walter. Joe Jr. is the son of the owner and Walter and Bill were longtime stylist that had been there for years. I wonder if they are all still there too. These three usually had the celebrity clients. Now I'm talking years ago, but I do remember seeing Rolanda Watts, Camille Cosby and Sue Simmons (popular NYC anchor person) there several times. Also black models. They were usually done upstairs and away from us regular folk /images/graemlins/smile.gif (shoot..., regular folks paying top dollar!). Other than the high prices, it's hard to say too many bad things about Joseph's. A classy salon.

Pallas

A

AmilLion

I believe I will be making a visit to Joseph's next Saturday for my touchup.

Pumpkin

Hello Ladies:

I honestly beleive in Joseph's as relaxer dogma. When I went there I looked like I had just come out the gutter. Now my hair is shiny soft and most importantly HEALTHY.

Natasha is my stylist and she is the best by far. I didn't spend the summer in Florida because then I wouldn't be able to see her. She has really helped me in my hair progress (in addition to you ladies /images/graemlins/smirk.gif) She trims every other relaxer so you can obtain length. She has not trimmed mine since July because she said my ends were in great shape. So I have gained a significant amount of length. Natasha told me during our first consultation that her first priority is hair health. Sometimes when you sit waiting for her she will pass by and briefly inspect your hair's state. She swears by Affrim no-lye and so far so good...no complaints. I actually watched her doing my hair and she carefully applied ONLY to the newgrowth. I really like her and she speaks to you like a human being and not like some stylists who swear their system is gold. Also she only trims what needs to be and dosen't get scissor happy.

I only go to Joseph's for a touch-up because it is pricey. I do in between maintenance at home or at Gregg's Dominican salon in Brooklyn (I find alot of these salons do some SERIOUS overlapping). I go about every 6-8 weeks to Joseph's so it's not like every pay check is going towards expensive hair maintenance. Also my hair has never looked better so I do not mind spending the extra cash. When I used to look for bargains all I got was jacked up hair. Also it is very re-assuring to see both stylists and clients with healthy hair. I always made the mistake of going to salons where the person doing my hair had the most hideous hair and the clients looked like they had just been released as prisoners of war.

Joe Jr. and Bill are still there (I forgot who asked that question). It is a classy salon but not snobby. The last time I was there, Ludacris' publicist was getting her hair done and it looked wonderful.

At the rate we seem to be going we will all be at this salon within the next two weekends bumping into eachother and not realizing we already know eachother.

Thank you Kitkat for the shot out. I forgot to tell you when I went the last time I told Natasha about you. And she was soooo fascinated by the hair board. I gave her the address and she said she would check it out. So if any of you ladies go you can remind her about the board that is making her a household name.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pumpkin

Hiddy I am glad to report that us regular folks now get their hair done upstairs because that is where I go /images/graemlins/grin.gif

A

AmilLion

Pumpkin states: I always made the mistake of going to salons where the person doing my hair had the most hideous hair and the clients looked like they had just been released as prisoners of war.

LMAO LMAO that was too funny.

Yes, I guess we'll all be running into each other. You ladies wouldn't be able to miss me.

Thanks Pumpkin for an inciteful review of Josephs.

I've had a good think about this and have decided to go for it and get my next re-touch there. I don't know if I'll bump into anyone from the board, it would be so nice to. I have my own hairdresser that I go to for re-touches (uses Affirm too) and the advantage is that she'll charge very little as she's a friend but I'm interested to have another person to go to, particularly if their primary goal is maximising hair health then I'm all for it. The one off visit should decide for me if I'd use them for a repeat visit. Plus its close to my office!

I'm aiming to book over the next 2 weeks. Before or just after Thanksgiving. I'll report back my thoughts on Joseph's too and will mention the board to Natasha! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

hiddy3

Pumpkin,
When I use to go to Joseph's they took the "regular" folks upstairs too, but I think they always took celebs up there because it was a bit out of sight.

Pallas

Kitkat

Hey Pumpkin, how 'ya doing? /images/graemlins/grin.gif For the ladies who are interested in going to Natasha, you should know that she only works Thursdays and Fridays in the evenings (I think from 5 or 5:30 on), and all day Saturday. Her station is upstairs. I didn't even know that celebs get their hair done up there, but it's such a classy place that I'm not surprised. I haven't seen anyone famous on my visits there, but I'll keep my eyes open. Like you guys said, we might be rubbing shoulders with one another and not even know it!!

NYCchild

hey! i used to go the Josephs to when i worked by 59th @ lexington. it was so convenient and since i am lazy it was great to just walk around there! BUT..... im doing the stay at home mom thing now too...

great place, pricey but worth it! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Terri