NY what salons are u going to for relaxers...

blackberry815

I like my relaxers done bone straight with very fast application and processing time 16 minutes or less. Anyone have any recommendations?

Sent from my ADR6400L

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
They dont respond there... Lol i figured theres more traffic here

Sent from my ADR6400L

Gotcha.

Although I live in Nyc I dont go to salons for anything other than a trim, and that is at supercuts. I havent in years and dont intend on every going back.

If I ever lose the ability to do my own TU's I will cut my hair off and rock a TWA.

I thought you had been to that salon where Jaunita worked. What happened?

blackberry815

Well i went for a wash and set but not a relaxer. Im considering her but i watched her do a relaxer very slowly and was a tad concerned about that.

Sent from my ADR6400L

ezina

I'd love to know this too. I go to a good hair salon in Boston during the school semester, but I don't know of any good places in the New York metropolitan area where I live.

beautychic

My friend had her relaxer done at Salon 804 and said they did a good job...just beware, professionalism is not their thing

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
My friend had her relaxer done at Salon 804 and said they did a good job...just beware, professionalism is not their thing

Yeah Salon 804, My cousin used to go there when they were on 5th ave on the 130's. They can hook up a short cut.

Yup if professionalism is your thing I would not step foot in there. I went one time just to pick her up and I vowed never to get my hair done there.

taj

I have the perfect stylist for you...SHANE!:grin: I've been going to him for several years. Silverlotus, who is also on this site referred him to me. She is between waist & hip length & I'm mbl. We go to him for relaxers & trims. Now that I'm transitioning, he's still able to accommodate me. He does natural & chemically treated hair.

Shane is an Amazing stylist who is concerned about the health of hair & pleasing his clients. He listens, accepts recommendations, does exactly what you request, makes great suggestions & will not give you a cut when you asked for a trim.

The ambiance of the salon is nice & the stylist conducts themselves in a professional manner. He gives free consultations to discuss your hair & it's condition prior to appointments. The services are costly but, worth it IMO.

Stylist: Shane Leone
Salon: Salon Seraglio.
Parking Garage: The cheapest 1 is on 40th between 2nd & 3rd (next to Hertz)

Salon #: ?
Shane's cell #:
(646) 388-1910 (call wed.- sat.)

Ps. I let my membership expire here but I was lurking & saw your post. So I was anxious to re-subscribe to give you this info.:yep:

Last edited:

Minty

Juanita isn't going to do it in 16 minutes. She lets the relaxer work if you ask for bone straight.

In addition, because she bases the scalp HEAVILY it takes the relaxer longer to work, but you don't burn, and she doesn't overlap much.

Just letting you know. Good luck on whomever you chose.

blackberry815

HijabiFlygirl thanks so much... I saw her apply a relaxer and she was very precise about only getting it on the new growth and not getting it on the scalp... Actually tbh I've never seen anyone that precise with a relaxer application... So that was a good thing in my book.. its just that the girl had the relaxer in her hair lil over 30 minutes... i thought if she's so big on lhcf either she is adding oil to the relaxers or she could be using something mild.

Where my concern comes in is my relaxer that i love to use works fast... And my hair breaks down easily. When left in too long it will leave me with bald spots. (Trust me i learned the hard way.)

When speaking to her and asking questions she told me that u cant overprocess hair by leaving relaxer in too long and that u only overprocess when you overlap the previously relaxed hair....

Does juana smooth the relaxer in with a fine tooth comb? Because if she smooths enough she wont have to leave it in too long. I didn't actually see her smooth the clients hair when i was in there because when i was done with my set she sat me under the dryer where i couldnt see what she was doing anymore.

I really want to use her because shes right up the block from me.

Sent from my ADR6400L

blackberry815

Gotcha.

Although I live in Nyc I dont go to salons for anything other than a trim, and that is at supercuts. I havent in years and dont intend on every going back.

If I ever lose the ability to do my own TU's I will cut my hair off and rock a TWA.

I thought you had been to that salon where Jaunita worked. What happened?

Myjourney2009 i feel you on this. Theres a few reasons i dont want to self relax. The first is that im using the half and half method.and my cap slips after ive done the first half and i end up getting relaxer on that part again... The second reason is that it takes too long. Unless i can self relax my whole head at once and still stick to the time constraints on the relaxer box i dont want to do it myself. I just want to find someone who can do it like me... I dont inconsistencies in my hair strands

Sent from my ADR6400L

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Myjourney2009 i feel you on this. Theres a few reasons i dont want to self relax. The first is that im using the half and half method.and my cap slips after ive done the first half and i end up getting relaxer on that part again... The second reason is that it takes too long. Unless i can self relax my whole head at once and still stick to the time constraints on the relaxer box i dont want to do it myself. I just want to find someone who can do it like me... I dont inconsistencies in my hair strands

Sent from my ADR6400L

I completly understand. How about talking to Jaunita and telling her your concerns. From what I read on this site she is very understanding.

Minty

Speaking with her would be best. Most stylists are not too concerned with overlapping. I'm referring to $80+ salons. They also skimp on product.

She is the only person I allow to give me a relaxer. I relax my own hair though - bone straight.

Please also keep in mind, that each person's head is different. There are a number of factors that must be considered when relaxing, that's why so many don't do it well.

To answer your question, why doesn't she add oils, etc. to a relaxer:
Because she bases so heavily, it creates the same scenario as adding oil to a relaxer.

blackberry815

Oh no i dont want her to add oil at all i think u may have misunderstood my question... I wanted to know if she smooths the relaxer with a comb.... Thanks for ur help.
HijabiFlygirl
Sent from my ADR6400L

Lovelylocs

HijabiFlygirl thanks so much... I saw her apply a relaxer and she was very precise about only getting it on the new growth and not getting it on the scalp... Actually tbh I've never seen anyone that precise with a relaxer application... So that was a good thing in my book.. its just that the girl had the relaxer in her hair lil over 30 minutes... i thought if she's so big on lhcf either she is adding oil to the relaxers or she could be using something mild.

Where my concern comes in is my relaxer that i love to use works fast... And my hair breaks down easily. When left in too long it will leave me with bald spots. (Trust me i learned the hard way.)

When speaking to her and asking questions she told me that u cant overprocess hair by leaving relaxer in too long and that u only overprocess when you overlap the previously relaxed hair....

Does juana smooth the relaxer in with a fine tooth comb? Because if she smooths enough she wont have to leave it in too long. I didn't actually see her smooth the clients hair when i was in there because when i was done with my set she sat me under the dryer where i couldnt see what she was doing anymore.

I really want to use her because shes right up the block from me.

Sent from my ADR6400L

We know this is not true. :nono: I wouldn't let her relax my hair.

Lovelylocs

This is a good thread. I want a salon in NYC that I can trust w/my relaxers, too. I prefer someone who takes appointments. I'm thinking of trying the Rita Hazan salon. Has anyone checked them out?