Oh, so over it! Mohawk hairstyle

Honey01

OMG.

I am so over the "mohawk". I swear, I counted no less than 50 teenage"ish"girls and quite a few boys with this hairstyle just today. It may have something to do with it the reincarnated ghetto version.

I really thought it was cute some months ago when I saw it on only a handful of folks. Usually, the folks I saw rocking the stlye had a punk, skateboarder or chic bohemian vibe going. Now, that is school is in session, I see groups of girls with the same damn hairstyle. It is usually cornrolled on the sides.

And honestly, they are starting to make me hate skinny jeans. It took a lot of convincing to try one pair.

beans4reezy

I see where you are coming from. I'm conservative, so that's not a hair style I'd wear. Plus you do see too many teeny boppers wearing it too, it can be a bit much.

Honey01

I am pretty conservative myself.

I copied a hairstlye that Chynablk (not sure of her LHCF name) does in her youtube. The stlye has a sort of mohawkish feel, but much more refined. She uses a banana clip with a little height in the front. I think it so cute.

I wore it off an on for a few days and loved it. But now, I don't want to wear it anymore because it reminds me too much of what I am seeing the teeny boppers wear.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
What's a ghetto mohawk?

I'm not conservative with my hair at all. I adore mohawks. This thread has inspired me to wear one with my twist tomorrow. :grin:

LaidBak

Too funny that I had this very same thought about 2 hours ago. I see too many men with them now. From NFL players to little boys walking down the street. Its not cool if everybody is doing it. Next trend please!

BrooklynSouth

Yeah, it was fun for me for about a hot minute but then it was all over the place. Sort of like the NEW YORK TIMES ON THE STREET page; once you see it there..it's OVER.

nicey

Yeah. Now that you have mentioned it, I have noticed a lot of people wearing the mohawk style these days. I think the first time I noticed it was the guy from American Idol, it became him, but then I saw it becoming prevalent on young boys I was like, yikes!

yamilee21

The teenaged boys in my neighbourhood have the most foolish version of a mohawk I have ever seen. It is triangular, making them appear to be microcephalics. :nono:

Bulletproof

tHicK hAIr dOn't CarE
Hmm funny I thought the popularity of that style even amongst the "teenyboppers" had died about 3-4 years ago thus rendering it safe and available for people to renew it again.

Mattie26

My son just cut his off after like a year. He said eveybody was wearing it and it wasn't his signature style anymore. The thing is now I'm the one that missed the mohawk I had gotten used to it.:perplexed

Oh now I have to chang my AVI dang it.:laugh:

Last edited:

Honey01

Hmm funny I thought the popularity of that style even amongst the "teenyboppers" had died about 3-4 years ago thus rendering it safe and available for people to renew it again.

No no. It definitely had a resurgence. The thing is, I thought it was sort of cute on some people. Mostly, artsy, skateboarder, boho types. But, now I see it on literally dozens of kids at a time.

I live near H.S and they are in packs. I must admit, I was suprised to see so many Black (non-skate board crew) young men take up this style. My hubby and I were discussing this as we were walking through throngs of kids on their way to school. He is more disturbed by all the boys in skinny jeans, lol. Again, a look better served on some folks.

angenoir

I have seen a lot of the mohawk style.

OT: About those skinny jeans.... only very few people look good in them IMO. Alot of the time it emphasizes some very serious muffin tops...

glamazon386

I'm tired of seeing it too. People were wearing it when I was a freshman in college so you're talking 2002-2003. I wish it would die. The puff with the ponytail finally went out.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
No no. It definitely had a resurgence. The thing is, I thought it was sort of cute on some people. Mostly, artsy, skateboarder, boho types. But, now I see it on literally dozens of kids at a time.

I live near H.S and they are in packs. I must admit, I was suprised to see so many Black (non-skate board crew) young men take up this style. My hubby and I were discussing this as we were walking through throngs of kids on their way to school. He is more disturbed by all the boys in skinny jeans, lol. Again, a look better served on some folks.

Still, what is the ghettofied version?

I'm confused as to why it looks good on other kids but not black kids.:ohwell:

SweetSpirit86

I have seen a lot of the mohawk style.

OT: About those skinny jeans.... only very few people look good in them IMO. Alot of the time it emphasizes some very serious muffin tops...

The frohawk is still cute to me. But you don't see it often around here. As far as the skinny jeans go...ITA Angenoir. I love me some skinny jeans, but it's like spandex. You always have a bunch of people who shouldn't be anywhere near 'em falling out of them.