Oil + Weave = Disaster?

Soliel185

I've seen this statement around the board several times in regards to Indian Hair

"Indian hair does NOT like oils"

But I wonder b/c if it is Indian Hair, then wouldn't it respond really well to things like Organic Coconut Oil or Amla, Brahmi, and Jasmine oils since that's what the person it came from was most likely using before it was cut?

Just curious... :spinning:

I use cocounut oil when i wear indian hair...but sparingly. after wetting my hair (either in the shower or with a spray bottle to refresh) i would put a small amount of coconut oil on my fingertips and lightly run my hands through my hair--concentrating mainly on my ends. after that i don't touch my hair anymore until it dries. it left me w/ great natural looking shine and no frizz. i would also use an applicator bottle w/ a pointed tip to moisturize my scalp/braids undernath---i did this about every two days. the oil underneath never made my weave greasy. i think that the "greasy weave" comes when someone puts oil on dry hair. with indian hair less is definitely more. HTH

Last edited:
Yuck to Oil on weaves. The worst thing I ever did was deep condition my weave with ORS replinishing pack once. It came out greasy, nasty, just weird feeling ewwww. Great on my hair but nasty on the weave.

Oil on weaves is generally a no-no. Like some others said, it has that greasy look, which makes it look fake. Also oil on weaves tangle the hair faster. I feel that it should be avoided or used s-p-a-r-i-n-g-l-y.

Back