Oils before flat ironing?

having any oil in your hair before flat iron?

• NO! NO oil at all whatsoever (even if they were "rinsed out")

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Doesn't really matter

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Hmmm.. Never thought about it!

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • IDK

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sensi sweetie

Now, I never INTENTIONALITY put oil in my hair before I flat iron.
But sometimes I worry about the ingredients in my rinse out conditioner which contains oils such as almond, wheat germ, etc.

Basically, my fear is deep frying my hair.

Obviously I always use a heat protectant, but my question is, should I avoid having ANY oil in my hair prior to flat ironing? Aka find and oil free rinse out condish?

TIA

I think if there is oil in your conditioner, you should be ok. I think the way all the ingredients react to one another helps the oil to absorb and the rinsing removes the excess oil.

I agree with Westndnbeauty...i think in your conditioner it's fine; im not sure in terms of directly applying oil to your hair *right* before you flat iron

The poll is designed only for people who don't press with oil but some (many) people do. You won't deep fry your hair with an electric flat iron and a little oil. It's just a matter of personal preference.

The poll is designed only for people who don't press with oil but some (many) people do. You won't deep fry your hair with an electric flat iron and a little oil. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Wow I didn't know that, but it really makes me feel better. My understanding was any oil + heat would sizzle.

I will DC with oil in my conditioner before flat ironing but I don't add any afterward.. only because I don't want to risk weighing my hair down. the day after my initially press I will add add a little bit of jojoba oil.

I actually just posted a vid in my LHCF blog of me flat-ironing my daughter's hair (15 months post relaxer) with crisco (a mixture of palm and soybean oil). My mother used this to straighten my natural hair until I relaxed at the age of 18. My hair was silky soft, thick and healthy. But to each his own.

I use grease before I flat iron my hair (Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Pres). It's a yellow substance in a white jar. I would think a liquid oil could possibly fry your hair.

Before LHCF I used to moisturize and put a little oil, but my hair was fried especially in the front. I personally wouldn't suggest it.

I personally wouldn't use oil to flat iron. Most oils would fry, dry your hair out and cause split ends.

A serum would be more appropriate to use which protects your hair from heat damage.

What about doing an oil rinse... then deep conditioning hair... Air dry ... then flat iron.

Is the oil from an oil rinse before conditioning going to cause my flat iron to fry my hair?

the last time i flat ironed my hair i put a lil of africas best ultimate herbal oil on my hair mostly my ends as i was flat ironing. my hair did not sizzle and it came out nice and soft and wasn't weighed down.

What about doing an oil rinse... then deep conditioning hair... Air dry ... then flat iron.

Is the oil from an oil rinse before conditioning going to cause my flat iron to fry my hair?

No. I was referring to oil on dry hair a second before you flat iron.

I really don't see the harm in using oils/grease to flat iron. I don't use it because I don't like the results, it leaves my hair too heavy. Before the invention of serums and heat protection sprays, people have used grease and oil to straighten their hair for years . If you look at old pictures from the 60s, 70s and 80s many of those people had long, full, healthy hair that was pressed with grease and oil. There are also a few people on youtube and fotki that use oils, greases and creme presses and their hair is fine. Of course this method will not work for everyone but there are people that is does work for.

i don't use oils in my leave-in products. i use an oil-free conditioner as my moisturizer and am happy with serum as a sealant. i like using oils only in rinse out products. otherwise my hair doesn't have the look or feel i like.

I use coconut oil to flat iron. Leaves it soft. Never fried. Always reverts when washed, so no damage.

I don't see any difference in my hair whether I use a serum, an oil (coconut oil), a heat protectant "lotion" product like Keracare thermal protectant lotion, or a heat protectant spray like Nexxus before flat-ironing. So, I voted "doesn't matter."

It just depends on how my hair and I feel that day....some naturalists use grapeseed or coconut oil consistently to flat iron. Grapeseed oil can withstand high heat.

I think one's hair gets fried by using too much product in combination with very high heat. I flat iron on a low temp.

I remember reading on lhc that oils change on a molecular level while heated which is bad for hair. they also said that hat over 200 degrees can boil water or hair within the shaft :ohwell:

I use grapeseed oil or coconut oil with my maxiglide. It works quite well for my 4A/4B hair. Yes, my kinks come back with no problem.

I tried using Tresemme Heat Tamer becuz of the good reviews and it did nothing for my hair. Hated it!

I have learned what may work with other folks hair will probably not work with my hair.

ALL oils have a burning point so i never really used them (to flat iron) unless i air dry/braid out, twist out or bun i use thm in my deep conditioners or to pre poo i use cones if i flat iron usually in a heat protectant

Before I flat iron, I DC over night, rinse that out and moisturize and seal with coconut oil like I always do after I wash. Then since I know I will be flat ironing, I will usually spray Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin OR Tresemme Heat Tamer. Then I air dry in rollerset pony tails. Then I flat iron. So I guess you can say I flat iron with oil. I never get the sizzle or the fried hair smell. It seems by the time I take down the rollers my hair is soft and silky, not oily at all. I guess it depends on moderation.

Before I flat iron, I DC over night, rinse that out and moisturize and seal with coconut oil like I always do after I wash. Then since I know I will be flat ironing, I will usually spray Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin OR Tresemme Heat Tamer. Then I air dry in rollerset pony tails. Then I flat iron. So I guess you can say I flat iron with oil. I never get the sizzle or the fried hair smell. It seems by the time I take down the rollers my hair is soft and silky, not oily at all. I guess it depends on moderation.

Thanks for this since the button is gone :nono: Makes sense & makes me a lot less sketch

The question I have is how high is you're flatiron on? After I wash. Being that air drying makes my hair worse... I blowdry until I am 90% there. I add oils, such as mink or EVOO. I flat iron on the lowest temp to prevent the sizzles and frying. Hair comes out bouncy, shiny, and curled just right. I don't smother my hair with it either. I actually add lesser thana dime amount. Kinda like dipping your index in it to hit the scalp and the remainder. For my hair. Putting too much and make the hair flimsy/floppy with too much of an oil balance.

Sent from my DROID2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

The poll didn't have a choice for "yes, I do use oil". Anyhoo, I use oil, I used to use a little coconut oil, but now I use hemp or olive oil. If I know I am going to flatiron I will do a protein dc before hand. I will add HE LTR leave in, and hemp oil and airdry. Then I add serum before I flatiron

The poll didn't have a choice for "yes, I do use oil". Anyhoo, I use oil, I used to use a little coconut oil, but now I use hemp or olive oil. If I know I am going to flatiron I will do a protein dc before hand. I will add HE LTR leave in, and hemp oil and airdry. Then I add serum before I flatiron

That's because I had no idea anyone deliberatly used oil before flat ironing :rolleyes: You really do learn something new everyday :spinning:

Your reggie sounds yummy :lick: this thread has definetly eased my oil anxieties. I might just give it a try :look:

So I used a very modest amount of vatika (along with heat protectant serum + spray) before blowing out and flat ironing my hair and :love:

I'm a convert! We'll see how it starts to play out in the long run. :ohwell:

Back