Oily greasy oil rinse mess!

Niapb

So I did my second oil rinse today. Used EVOO and rinsed with my Jane Carter Solution nutrient replenishing conditioner. My hair felt soft and lovely. I rinsed for a while, at least 5 minutes under the water. I decided to straighten my hair today. While I was blow drying my hair felt really soft but every time I took my hands away from my hair there was a glossy oily sheen on them. It made my blow dryer and all my appliances greasy! I tried to towel dry oil maybe left over in my hair, and then I went out with my hair only blow dried hoping maybe some of the oils would dry up. When I finally did get to straightening, WELL, this is the softest my hair has ever been while straightening at home. Also the shiniest and it just feels so nice! But it is so so GREASY. It's weighed down and heavy and just looks OILY. :nono: I don't know what I did wrong with the oil rinse! Because my hair feels GREAT but I do NOT like the excess oil everywhere, and my straight hair looks gross! I'll probably just wear it in a bun and then cowash in a day or two. Can anybody tell me what I did wrong? :perplexed

simplyhair

Not quite sure since I've only done an oil rinse once...can't remember how it turned out. But there is another thread here where I posted an article about how to remove oil from your hair.

8. To rinse, put shampoo directly onto hair and work into lather (do not wet hair first). Rinse and continue your normal routine.

I know this kind of goes against how an oil rinse should be done (rinse w/water then use conditioner) but perhaps the above method could work.

If you do not want to use shampoo, try applying the conditioner all over your hair before rinsing with water. The conditioner should have the same effect as using shampoo.

babylone09

I've read a couple of articles on oil rinses that said if you oil rinse they suggest you dont use any type of heat like blow drying or flat ironing on your hair because you are not washing all of the oil out of your hair. I figured it was because u would end up frying your hair but i guess its because you would have an oily mess to. Sorry it didnt work out for you.

Sheena

I think you need to shampoo your hair after the oil rinse. If you don't want to shampoo then you can try to use less oil and/or lighter oils.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I would try a different oil. EVOO is a little too heavy for me a lot of the times (though I can usually oil rinse with it)..grapeseed and coconut oil are lighter.

Your Cheeziness

This is why I never understood oil rinses. Water cannot rinse out oils. The water would have to be hella hot or some kind of cleasing agent is needed to remove oils, especially heavier ones. There will always be oil left behind. But, if the intention is to leave oil behind, then cool. But water alone (much less conditioner with more oils in it) can't remove oil.

Minty

why would you think that oil rinsing could be done before flat ironing? I'm just curious.

Don't waste you oil, clog your tub, and waste your water by slathering on oil just to rinse it down the drain.

Here are a couple ways to do it -

*a quarter sized amount (of a light oil) used after your final conditioner rinse/or along with your conditioner rinse - in order to evenly distribute the oil throughout your hair. (I would not suggest this for relaxed/straightened relaxer-free hair if you want body)

*as a hot oil treatment (HOT) used before your shampoo

virtuenow

So I did my second oil rinse today. Used EVOO and rinsed with my Jane Carter Solution nutrient replenishing conditioner. My hair felt soft and lovely. I rinsed for a while, at least 5 minutes under the water. I decided to straighten my hair today. While I was blow drying my hair felt really soft but every time I took my hands away from my hair there was a glossy oily sheen on them. It made my blow dryer and all my appliances greasy! I tried to towel dry oil maybe left over in my hair, and then I went out with my hair only blow dried hoping maybe some of the oils would dry up. When I finally did get to straightening, WELL, this is the softest my hair has ever been while straightening at home. Also the shiniest and it just feels so nice! But it is so so GREASY. It's weighed down and heavy and just looks OILY. :nono: I don't know what I did wrong with the oil rinse! Because my hair feels GREAT but I do NOT like the excess oil everywhere, and my straight hair looks gross! I'll probably just wear it in a bun and then cowash in a day or two. Can anybody tell me what I did wrong? :perplexed

Hmm, you are just getting the hang of it so this is not a bad thing- but you need to rinse the oil with hot water. Then condition n rinse. It sounds like u put the conditioner on top of the oil. I had a really oilly experience on 1 rinse session & I think its b/c I used too much oil! I always use Castor oil- best & softest my hair has ever felt.

I also researched several articles/threds on oil rinsing & nothiing said u can't use it before blowdrying or flat ironing. Some women didn't suggest it but many did. In fact there are several members & even some threads that stress the wonderful results they have from doing oil rinses before straightening (I bumped a thread for you titled: How I got the Best results with my Sedu flatiron) . I am one of those members.

I had the best flat ironing job in 5yrs of being natural. Just 2 weeks ago around the time I first tried oil rinsing---my flatironed hair was the most straight, shiniest & softest I have ever seen it. This was after doing an oil rinse. (I made sure to rinse really well until I could FEEL most the oil was gone)- & I didn't need to moisturize for the whole week. Unprecedented! My hair was not oilly.

Since your hair is oilly now-- u can just do a conditioner wash. It seemed to work for others who had too much oil in their finished hair. Dust yourself off n try again. We will not be defeated by dry hair!

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Last edited:

Niapb

why would you think that oil rinsing could be done before flat ironing? I'm just curious.

Don't waste you oil, clog your tub, and waste your water by slathering on oil just to rinse it down the drain.

Here are a couple ways to do it -

*a quarter sized amount (of a light oil) used after your final conditioner rinse/or along with your conditioner rinse - in order to evenly distribute the oil throughout your hair. (I would not suggest this for relaxed/straightened relaxer-free hair if you want body)

*as a hot oil treatment (HOT) used before your shampoo

Oil rinses are good for soft moisturized hair and I like to have my hair really moisturized before straightening, so I thought instead of deep conditioning I'd try something new. thanks for the tips though.

Niapb

So after a few days, I guess all of the excess oil absorbed into my hair because it looks/feels great! No more oily mess! Just soft straight hair.