Ok, I tried to handle this myself...

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
but, it's not working out! I have tried everything as a daily moisturizer for my dry tresses and nothing is consistent or works out at all!

Here is a list of things that I tried:

1. water/conditioner/oil -made my hair hard and dry
2. water/glycerin--inconsistent results
3. aloe vera juice/glycerin-made my hair hard and dry
4. water/oil--don't mix, lol. made my hair hard and dry
5. Everything else under the sun..

So I guess my question is--has anyone out there had bad experiences with the above mixes, but eventually found something that worked?

Theresamonet

Have you tried any regular leave-ins just straight? Maybe you just need to use a product specified as a leave-in, stop the mixing and call it a day.

And I use all of my products by themselves first before adding anything, so that I will know if a product is actually bad or the mix.

Your Cheeziness

Those combos didn't work well for me either during my natural says. A cream or butter mixes worked best for me. Qhemet Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm is what I sealed with. :lick:

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I use plain water with just a *touch* of conditioner mixed in and seal with oil *seperately*. That's it. Easy cheesy!

It really doesn't take much to moisturize your hair.

charmtreese

most of those combos make my natural hair hard as well. What does work for me is:

After wash:

Protein Leave-in + oil to scalp + creamy moisturizer + oil to length.

2nd day hair:

Moisture Leave-in + creamy moisturizer + oil to length

3rd day hair or until next wash:

Spray moisturizer + oil

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
What do you use on top of the spray? Or do you just depend on spray alone?

My hair would throw a fit if I just sprayed it down and left it at that. I only use sprays to complement the heavy duty stuff. Spray >Moisturizer>Butter/Oil :yep:

Last edited:

prettyinpurple

How did straight water work? Or just adding a little water to your hands and then working it through your hair. Don't use a lot or your hair will shrink.

I just starting using straight aloe juice and it left my hair soft. Well I mixed in a few drops of lavender and tea tree EOs.

ETA: Oh I find that spritzes reactivate whatever product is already in my hair. So if you have naked hair underneath, perhaps that is the problem. Use a thick leave-in, butter, or cream after washing your hair and just use the spritz to reactivate it and fluff your curls in the morning until you wash your hair again.

LynnieB

but, it's not working out! I have tried everything as a daily moisturizer for my dry tresses and nothing is consistent or works out at all!

Here is a list of things that I tried:

1. water/conditioner/oil -made my hair hard and dry
2. water/glycerin--inconsistent results
3. aloe vera juice/glycerin-made my hair hard and dry
4. water/oil--don't mix, lol. made my hair hard and dry
5. Everything else under the sun..

So I guess my question is--has anyone out there had bad experiences with the above mixes, but eventually found something that worked?

Maybe it's the type of conditioner you're using in your mixes?

I know for me, I can't use heavy conditioners or even conditioners w/silicone and expect my hair to remain soft. I get crunchy/hard/sticky hair that gets progressively worse as the days go by. Instead, I like to use something like V05 moisture milks with water without getting the nasty feeling.

Also, I don't add any oil to my combo. For some reason it doesn't work as well as just applying a drop or two of oil directly to the hair.

Good Luck OP, it certainly can be frustrating at times but be assured that you'll eventually find your mix!

SimJam

for me, what works is aloevera juice under a water based LI.

butters (all that Ive tried - shea, mango, avocado) make my hair dry, I only use to seal or give shine over a styling product.

Nonie

Arian, I've never bothered making my own mixes because I figured experts already did all the research for me and created products whose ratios are meant to be right to bring out the best in hair. Granted different strokes for different folks but out of the whole collections in the market, there has got to be one that will work. I've never had any success trying to be a "scientist" and make my own products.

To me that's just like buying iron supplements, calcium supplement, biotin...and taking those assuming they are good for your hair. When you forget Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, MSM, Omega oils, B Complex, Inositol, Protein, PABA...all are needed for your hair. So why not get a multivitamin whose ratios are perfect for stability and absorption so you're not missing out in something.

For example water/conditioner/oil. Why? Conditioners may have oils and water already and the scientists who made the product knew that it worked best just as it is, so why are you messing up with a recipe that has been doing well as it is?

Then there's water and glycerin...where's the emollient in that? Many products with these two ingredients also have cetyl alcohol which provides an oily layer to trap the moisture that the glycerin is drawing in. So clearly, what you end up doing by trying to make your own products w/o really understanding the science behind what makes a good moisturizer is a product that might work if the conditions are very humid and then fail miserably if they are not.

So my advice is if you like those ingredients or think they might work, why not get a complete product that has those ingredients in it. All the scare stories about one ingredient being bad and so you feel you need to make your own to avoid it are nothing more than scary exaggerations. Even if you used the exact same ingredients in a store product, you would not get the same products because ingredients are not what makes a cake. Two people could start off with the exact same products and end up with different cakes...so I say leave that job to the experts and make less work for yourself.

It's what I've done, and my hair hardly occupies my mind or time from day to day.

LynnieB

Arian, I've never bothered making my own mixes because I figured experts already did all the research for me and created products whose ratios are meant to be right to bring out the best in hair. Granted different strokes for different folks but out of the whole collections in the market, there has got to be one that will work. I've never had any success trying to be a "scientist" and make my own products.

To me that's just like buying iron supplements, calcium supplement, biotin...and taking those assuming they are good for your hair. When you forget Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, MSM, Omega oils, B Complex, Inositol, Protein, PABA...all are needed for your hair. So why not get a multivitamin whose ratios are perfect for stability and absorption so you're not missing out in something.

For example water/conditioner/oil. Why? Conditioners may have oils and water already and the scientists who made the product knew that it worked best just as it is, so why are you messing up with a recipe that has been doing well as it is?

Then there's water and glycerin...where's the emollient in that? Many products with these two ingredients also have cetyl alcohol which provides an oily layer to trap the moisture that the glycerin is drawing in. So clearly, what you end up doing by trying to make your own products w/o really understanding the science behind what makes a good moisturizer is a product that might work if the conditions are very humid and then fail miserably if they are not.

So my advice is if you like those ingredients or think they might work, why not get a complete product that has those ingredients in it. All the scare stories about one ingredient being bad and so you feel you need to make your own to avoid it are nothing more than scary exaggerations. Even if you used the exact same ingredients in a store product, you would not get the same products because ingredients are not what makes a cake. Two people could start off with the exact same products and end up with different cakes...so I say leave that job to the experts and make less work for yourself.

It's what I've done, and my hair hardly occupies my mind or time from day to day.

Great points Nonie and I agree to a point and I guess this is where being around the block a few times comes into play.

Sometimes a good product is just too much of a good thing. Take that conditioner mix..... sure buying something off the shelf and using unmolested may work but (if you know your hair and are already aware of what works) may be too rich so diluting with water gives you benefit of the product which can be used daily instead of only during conditioning sessions.

I've also found that keeping your concoctions simple-simple. This can save alot of $$, time and frustration. Added benefit, it keeps our bathrooms and kitchen pantries from becoming overloaded, unused product depots hehe.

That's how I look at so many hair products including Vo5 MM. Can't use the stuff straight up daily or even a few times a week but no other product seems to work as well so diluting with water gives benefit of added moisture but also a mild conditioning which helps keep hair supple.

My hair loves olive oil but adding to the simple-simple mix changes the effect. If I want to seal in something than I use my oil separately. 2-1's don't always work well (though sometimes they do).

I guess for any one new or even those transitioning from one process to another (natural/relaxed) there's a learning curve involved but sooner or later we manage to find what works well and what doesn't and the simpler the better in most cases.

Sometimes our pocketbooks are also involved in these decisions :lachen::lachen: more than we'd like :lachen::lachen:

OP - one step and one product at a time girl and patience!!

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Have you tried any regular leave-ins just straight? Maybe you just need to use a product specified as a leave-in, stop the mixing and call it a day.

And I use all of my products by themselves first before adding anything, so that I will know if a product is actually bad or the mix.

Theresamonet, I have tried some. There was a Mango and Jamaican product spritz that didn't work for me. I think that is as far as I have gone with it. As for creamy ones, using them on dry hair to re-moisturize have been a no-go. Plus, I really just wanted something to lightly mist my hair on the daily.

But you're right, I need to give up on the mixing. Perhaps I will try some of the Oyin Handmade spritzes or SheScentIt mix.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
What do you use on top of the spray? Or do you just depend on spray alone?

My hair would throw a fit if I just sprayed it down and left it at that. I only use sprays to complement the heavy duty stuff. Spray >Moisturizer>Butter/Oil :yep:

tiffers, lately, I have just been depending on the spray alone. I thought if I mixed a little oil in the spray, the M&S step would be in one. My hair doesn't really respond well to oil, so I thought this would help since the consensus among naturals is that you should seal after moisturizing. I'm just so tired of experimenting with different oils. :sad: I've tried: castor oil, Cocosta oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, etc.

AltheaGarden

Had anyone tried Palmer's Olive Oil Formula Hairdress? I'm having a real hard time keeping my hair moisturized. I have like four different textures and two of them dry out so ****** fast. I've starting washing my hair once a week with castile soap because all other shampoos dry out my hair. I deep condition once a week as well. Also, I tried following Naptural85's advice about moisturizing with aloe/water twice a day, but then all my stretched hair just reverts back and I feel defeated :( Right now I use Alba Botanica Leave -In, then I seal with grape seed oil. After a couple of days, my hair starts to feel dry again :/ Have any of you ladies found a great way to keep hair both stretched AND moisturized? Tips?

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Ladies, thank you all for your suggestions!

I have tried water alone and my hair gets dry. I mixed conditioner and water for pretty much the same reasons that @LynnieB mentioned...creamy leave ins make my hair hard, even when used on wet hair. I've been trying to go through and determine what kinds of ingredients my hair does not respond well to...so far, I have come up with oils and aloe vera. But what is weird is that my hair likes Qhemet AOHC which is oil based and contains aloe vera. :perplexed It has to be on wet hair though.

I know you all might say, "Well, why don't you spritz w. water and seal with the AOHC?"

Why? I wear twistouts 99% of the time. I keep thinking that a)misting my hair with water, then B) manipulating it by sealing with AOHC is too much to do everyday and eventually my twistout will become a mess. But maybe that's the answer. Perhaps I will have to sacrifice cuteness for soft hair. There is no in-between.

I've just been trying different spritz mixes because I have seen them in other threads suggested by other naturals. Misting my hair seemed to be a quick way of moisturizing because it seems that I would have to go through each section to seal, which takes considerable amounts of time.

Part of the journey is trial and error I guess. My hair is also color-treated (with a permanent black), so it makes it even harder to moisturize my hair.

(I was trying to quote and answer everyone, but thought I would just answer in one post.)

Last edited:

Theresamonet

Theresamonet, I have tried some. There was a Mango and Jamaican product spritz that didn't work for me. I think that is as far as I have gone with it. As for creamy ones, using them on dry hair to re-moisturize have been a no-go. Plus, I really just wanted something to lightly mist my hair on the daily.

But you're right, I need to give up on the mixing. Perhaps I will try some of the Oyin Handmade spritzes or SheScentIt mix.

Arian

For moisturizing spritzes I like:

Hairveda Hydrosoft
Oyin Juices and Berries

Light leave-ins:

VO5 Moisture milks
Qhemet Honeybush tea soft gel
Karens BB super silky (actually any of her leave-ins)
Silk Elements Mixed Silk leave-in
Curl activator gel

Heavy Leave-ins:

Qhemet Burdock Root
Qhemet Olive and Heavy Cream

I apply on slightly damp hair. I may seal any of these with Qhemet honey balm, castor oil, or coconut oil. Mostly to use up product. I don't like my hair to be greasy and there is only so much product your hair can soak up. The rest will just sit on top.

I urge you to try the VO5 first. Being that it's only $.79-$1.00 it's worth a shot. Try it sealed and unsealed.

HTH

prettyinpurple

Ooh add Darcy's Botanicals Herbal Leave-in Spray to the list.

AOHC is super moisturizing -- you should just use that once or twice a week at night, then mist in the morning.

But you could use water and AOHC everyday, just use the AOHC very sparingly. W/a little trial and error, you'll figure out how to apply without messing up the twist-out.

Also, are you twisting your hair at night? That manipulation kinda works the old moisturizer down my strands it seems. Works much better than just leaving my hair loose at night. Especially if I lightly spritz before I retwist.

Nonie

LynnieB but you see, you understand why you use X and what X does to your hair and so you know that adding Y will give a different effect and one that you want. From what OP posted, it seems she's just throwing things together to see what happens. Then she doesn't like it. Granted she's changing one thing to see if it works better and finding it doesn't she makes another change. But I've been there too. I've tried adding EVOO to my conditioner and it was a mess; made my hair uber hard. Tried using Aloe Vera on my hair, again my hair was hard. So this is why I know that while this may work for you who knows your hair, for most of us, using what's already made might be better. And it doesn't have to be expensive stuff either. S Curl costs $2, Trader Joe's is about $3... EVOO isn't cheap and seeing how heavy handed folks are around these parts, I know folks spend way more doing these experiments when they could've saved time trying one product after reading of someone having similar problems who uses those products.

What's more, we're back to the thing where you can't do what Jennifer does and think it will work for you. Lynnie, your hair may not need many of the things that OP's hair may need. So EVOO might be all your hair needs because internally, you are able to provide a good foundation for structure that doesn't need much more as far as topical application is concerned. That is similar to someone who just needs protein shakes and her hair thrives while someone else needs a multivitamin as well as the protein shake.

So I think it's a mistake and too time consuming for people who haven't mastered their hair like you to start off trying to copy you experts. Just like I cannot wrap it around my head how someone can find their way through a forum like this without first having read a book on haircare so they can get a foundation first. You can't start off being an expert. You have to start off trusting those who go to great lengths to make products for "healthy hair" and then after that you can become clever and start doing your own thang.

When people ask questions about braids and it's their first time, I don't share my regimen because I know it'd be unfair to expect them to be able to get away with what I do. I instead recommend they follow the regimen on the Crown & Glory website because it dots all i's and crosses all t's. After they've worn braids for a time, they can then be daring and try new things. Similarly, I think that people should start off trying the products that are already tried and true not just for one person but for millions and then experiment when they already have a staple they can fall back on, should the experiments fail.

kinkycurlygurl

@tiffers, lately, I have just been depending on the spray alone. I thought if I mixed a little oil in the spray, the M&S step would be in one. My hair doesn't really respond well to oil, so I thought this would help since the consensus among naturals is that you should seal after moisturizing. I'm just so tired of experimenting with different oils. :sad: I've tried: castor oil, Cocosta oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, etc.

Arian What's worked best for me is spritzing my hair with water then applying a little coconut oil to the lenth and ends.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Ooh add Darcy's Botanicals Herbal Leave-in Spray to the list.

AOHC is super moisturizing -- you should just use that once or twice a week at night, then mist in the morning.

But you could use water and AOHC everyday, just use the AOHC very sparingly. W/a little trial and error, you'll figure out how to apply without messing up the twist-out.

Also, are you twisting your hair at night? That manipulation kinda works the old moisturizer down my strands it seems. Works much better than just leaving my hair loose at night. Especially if I lightly spritz before I retwist.

prettyinpurple, no, I am not twisting at night.

virtuenow

Are you sealing? It seems like you're missing that step. I firmly believe your hair should be moist coming out of your weekly deep conditioner. So when you moisturize and seal, there should be a great degree of softness already. Are you deep conditioners leaving your hair moist n soft?

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
virtuenow, HanaKuroi

I wasn't sealing to be honest. But tonight, I spritzed my hair with water and sealed with the Qhemet. I also twisted in a couple of large twists. I noticed some breakage while doing this and I was afraid of this. That's why I did not want to manipulate my hair too much. This past week when I DC'd, my hair didn't feel as good as it does when I normally DC. So I won't be using this DC again. (I did clarify my hair at this time, so it had nothing to do with product buildup.)

I can't wait to DC again--maybe tomorrow or Friday.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I use plain water with just a *touch* of conditioner mixed in and seal with oil *seperately*. That's it. Easy cheesy!

It really doesn't take much to moisturize your hair.

excellent suggestion :up:

and remember, your hair may be blocking moisture due to build up (so clarifying is necessary) or your hair may not be retaining moisture because it's time for some protein.

HanaKuroi

I love gpb for protein. I haven't used it since I started henna'ing. I wouldn't use a strong protein thought. I think after protein you condition and m/s. Or is it condition and then protein? I am probably doing it wrong. My point is start with a lighter protein, Arian.

Eta: after I started using henna I could handle my hair wet/damp without breakage.

Last edited:

candy626

excellent suggestion :up:

and remember, your hair may be blocking moisture due to build up (so clarifying is necessary) or your hair may not be retaining moisture because it's time for some protein.

So agree with this. That's why I'm not really into moisturizing in sealing. Using product on your hair everyday without rinsing will definitely lead to build up particularly if you have fine hair. Once you have build up, it makes hair even harder to moisturize and can leave you with dry ends. I definitely second clarifying.

Also, to me once hair becomes too dry no product can really make it moist again. Sometimes you just need to wash/cowash your hair again.